• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle velocity - how many rounds from each lot do you shoot for the data

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Before truing in the kestrel. How many do you shoot from each lot? I know their are statistical equations to come up with the level of certainty based on the number of rounds you have for a given lot but that above my math skills.

IMHO...no reason not to use 5x5 or 3x10 round groups.

I did it old school, shot targets every 50 yards out to 300, recorded the dope for each target then plugged the info into the kestrel to match. Worked well, made first round impacts on a 400yd target. I'd have shot the targets to make sure they matched the info from the kestrel anyway :D.

Reactions: ma smith
Before truing in the kestrel. How many do you shoot from each lot? I know their are statistical equations to come up with the level of certainty based on the number of rounds you have for a given lot but that above my math skills.
If your particular barrel require XX amount of rounds before velocity settles make sure you are seasoned first. After that 10-20 rounds is where I determine my data point. I chrono often with every new lot and tend to stick with the same Lapua/SK ammo brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
According to a couple of educated fellows I've talked with,
30 shots is the minimum needed to provide a relevant sample.

I have a different opinion. Right RT? :D

5 shots is a random act of accuracy.
10 shots is a wallet group.
25 shots is a good start.
50 shots is the bare minimum I want to see.
100 shots allows me to draw a useful conclusion.

I’m good with 5 shots.
94AE1974-2805-4434-83E0-41BB1B5EC3E7.jpeg

This is 5 at 200 yards. Ignored windage. Just wanted drop figures. Just a practical shooter. I get my theory from Justin. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Gleedus
I collect MV with a Labradar and download to Excel so its fairly easy to see...as I add data points...where Average MV and SD stabilize.

I personally look for approx 30 rounds to get some fairly stable data.

Reactions: Williwaw
Pardon my stupidity but does that imply that you need to shoot almost half of your ammo to know if it’s any good?
I guess by the time it’s just about gone, I can definitively say it’s good or bad????

That is why I like my 5 shot 200 yard group with .85” vertical. Still have 495 good ones! 👍

Still have 495 good ones!

Maybe, if'n you believe in the power of positive thinking.

RT, y'er an optimist, ain'tcha. :giggle:

Still have 495 good ones!

Maybe, if'n you believe in the power of positive thinking.

RT, y'er an optimist, ain'tcha. :giggle:
@justin amateur

When you have tested over a hundred match rifles extensively and selected the best 3-4 of them, buy the best ammo made and get consistent results, yes, I’m optimistic. 👍

Below is a picture of a squirrel I shot Sunday.
It was 87 yards on laser. Shot from standing position resting against tree. Bullet hit it in the right eye and exited left eye.
I had perfect data, a great rifle, Eley Tenex ammo and optimism. The squirrel, not so much. 😂
02D1D802-59A9-488D-BA8F-C24739889DE2.jpeg

We’re all talking about the same thing. Getting good data on our rifle and doing our part. The “math” and number of shots needed for the confidence level only accounts for the vertical dispersion created by the velocity spread.

At the end of the day good data with a good shooter gets the squirrel as @RTH1800 says

At the end of the day the only question that requires an answer
is did I hit what I aimed at? If'n I did, all is good.
If'n I didn't, odds are I was the cause, especially off hand.
My technique for better accuracy is simple...get closer to the target.

At less than 25 yards it's hard to miss.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: USMC22
That is not in the spirit of precision rifle shooting. Once the leaves come off I seldom shoot inside 50 yards.

RT, this is Florida, we have leaves year round.
And vines, and palmettos, and brambles and cane grass head high or better.
Ain't no long range shots where I wander. :D

At the end of the day the only question that requires an answer
is did I hit what I aimed at? If'n I did, all is good.
If'n I didn't, odds are I was the cause, especially off hand.
My technique for better accuracy is simple...get closer to the target.

At less than 25 yards it's hard to miss.

;)
I like it

I move that we change proof of "my rifle likes" from groups to "hit what you aim at". :cool:
Instead of allowing the point of impact to wander around as groups do, the bullets
must hit where the crosshairs are sighted. Let's see the results from the full box of CCI SV
on the Grid or on a Green Monster at 50 yards....I have a pretty good idea what would happen.
There'd be a lot less claims of "my rifle likes". :D

I move that we change proof of "my rifle likes" from groups to "hit what you aim at". :cool:
Instead of allowing the point of impact to wander around as groups do, the bullets
must hit where the crosshairs are sighted. Let's see the results from the full box of CCI SV
on the Grid or on a Green Monster at 50 yards....I have a pretty good idea what would happen.
There'd be a lot less claims of "my rifle likes". :D
1668085960092.png

This is your green monster?

Let’s make it simple. It’s not an endurance test or
dragging it out until conditions create problems.

Just make it a 3 shot at 3 dot test. 1/8 min dot at 50 yards. Cold bore. Just like shooting the squirrel in the eye.
E3B425B1-4074-496F-93D2-8CB37E613746.jpeg

That'd work RT.

A squirrels eye at 50 yards won't be easy.
3 shots, 3 squirrels, but it'll be moving targets
You know how squirrels rarely sit still. ;)

The old coots at the diner don't like my suggestion either.
Having to hit what you aim at, is way harder than just maintaining point of aim.

The consensus is the Grid makes their results look way worse than their groups. :D

Posted this somewhere else. Top is 3 shots. Bottom after 1/4 min correction. Sitting with tree for back rest and tight sling.
This is not a one off. Rifle is very consistent. Actually not sure how it got 1/4 min R. Possibly condition I did not perceive?
This sighting allows me to hold bottom of eye and center it.
5E15F852-C2DE-4A65-9E6D-737DA98BBA8B.jpeg

Final 10 shot group before slipping turrets

1992E1F4-A958-4C29-839F-C0ED2CEF72ED.jpeg

End of day grouping after 250 rounds
282E0BDA-BF29-4D83-8826-02262E87728D.jpeg

Lapua Center X - Lot # 27551 503876
61* F
39% Humidity
584’ Elevation
973’ Density Altitude
29.27 inHG Station Pressure
Magnetospeed (Sensitivity Level 5)
52 Rounds Chronographed
110 Rounds fired on a Clean Cold Bore before Chronographing

1056 FPS Average
12.8 FPS Standard Deviation
68 FPS Extreme Spread

I dont worry about chrono alot. When Im testing my basic test is 100 rounds everything is chronoed. If i like it i will then use that velocity for the temp shot in. I will then do 50 shot samples at close to freezing and a hot temp. With those three data point I dont worry about it again. I go to a match punch in my temp and go shoot stuff.

When I test for lot testing, I buy two boxes of each lot.. one whole box of each lot is shot at 50..to get es and sd’s.. the next box of that lot I shoot 25 at 100 and 25 at 200. By then you have plenty of info on which to buy but you also have enough to get your kestrel started. From what I have seen, it’s best to test when it’s hot as that ammo will show higher deviations if it has them. When it’s cold, it can cover some sins if you will.

The only way to know is to shoot the whole brick.