• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Velocity, SPS Tactical and FGMM 168?

Skeld1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Maine
I don't have a chronograph but I thought I would check to see if any of you guys have tested this combination before? I figure that would be closer for inputting to a ballistics program than what is on the box, which I think is 2650? Thanks.

Re: Muzzle Velocity, SPS Tactical and FGMM 168?

20 or 26" barrel?

Just FYI, I've a 26" barrell. 10 rounds this past weekend yieled me an average MV of 2657 fps. 168 FGMM. Temp average was 53F with an avg. RH of 47%.

Sorry I thought the SPS Tactical .308's were all 20". Mine is the 20" barrel.

Mine is a standard varmint with 1 in 12 twist.

Don't know if the twist has any great amount of effect upon the muzzle velocity. But I do know the barrell length does.

Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable bretheren will chime in shortly.

I'm no expert either. But I assume the 20" will be quite a bit lower than your 26" gun. Thanks for the info though, I will be interested to see how much difference there is between the two.

15 to 17 fps per inch, so roughly 90 to 102 fps slower.

BS

You'll lose velocity.

Same barrel, same ammo, and shorter barrel there will be a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BS

You'll lose velocity.

Same barrel, same ammo, and shorter barrel there will be a difference. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">(WOOPS! My bad I'm talking about my reloads using a 175SMK. Good call on the BS FLAG! I can't read worth a shit!)</span></span>

Out of my SPS Tactical.
45.8 Grains Varget
175 SMK
Winchester brass
CCI BR 2 Primer
2.800 COAL
It's been chronoed several times. 2630-2650 FPS. 2.3 Mils to 400 yards.

44.3 Grains Varget
175 SMK
Federal Brass
CCI BR 2 primer
2.800 COAL
2610-2630 FPS

Take my father’s 22" .308 and add 100 FPS.

Boone: Do you have any chronograph data on Federal 168g sierra match king (or other similar Federal ammo). I have a sps tactical and wondered what the differences are between the velocities published by Federal ammo. Their test barrel length is 24 inches and the tactical I have is a 20 inch barrel.

I can't say I every chronograhed FGMM 168 or 175's. I stopped using their ammo a long time ago.

I am getting 2734 average with 168 amaxs with same gun. Reloading though. 45.5 varget lapua brass. Rem 9 1/2 lrp. Oal of 2.960. No op.

Remington LTR with the factory 20" barrel, I'm getting right around 2550 with Federal GMM 168. Chronograph tells me the SD is around 10 and the ES is 30 or so.

Thanks guys. Looks like 2550 might be my best answer.