• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzleloader sniper rifles?

Re: muzzleloader sniper rifles?

Yep u just need Sherpa when u hit the range

This brings a whole new meaning to the founding fathers of long range shooting. What such incredible rifles!

I've decided I hate you guys. I've been reading this thread and going "I really really want to get one." and now I can't decide what to get, and I'm having to talk myself out of spending money I don't need to be spending right now. This thread is really not helping my historical collecting addiction damn you :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided I hate you guys. I've been reading this thread and going "I really really want to get one." and now I can't decide what to get, and I'm having to talk myself out of spending money I don't need to be spending right now. This thread is really not helping my historical collecting addiction damn you :p </div></div>

You're welcome!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided I hate you guys. I've been reading this thread and going "I really really want to get one." and now I can't decide what to get, and I'm having to talk myself out of spending money I don't need to be spending right now. This thread is really not helping my historical collecting addiction damn you :p</div></div>

My monkey is now your monkey...

Look at the bright side. They appreciate better than any 401K.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... it doesn't really get expensive until you start collecting live artillery. Just 'sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided I hate you guys. I've been reading this thread and going "I really really want to get one." and now I can't decide what to get, and I'm having to talk myself out of spending money I don't need to be spending right now. This thread is really not helping my historical collecting addiction damn you :p</div></div>

My monkey is now your monkey...

Look at the bright side. They appreciate better than any 401K.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... it doesn't really get expensive until you start collecting live artillery. Just 'sayin. </div></div>

Dang it, now I want a cannon, maybe a mortar will do. I have changed my mind a few times but I guess I will stick with the Virginia now since I've ordered one. So much more to be acquired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plastikosmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are fun. The Morris guns are the smaller ones, 30/35/37 and 40 lbs (4 of them) the big one is made by Breisen using the tooling from a Resnor that was stolen long ago. The Resnor weight was around 100 lbs. Here is a quick read on the slug guns
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-a...g-machinery.php </div></div>

Yeah, ummmmm, you were right. The Morris guns do not compare the 100 pounder on the last pic of that article. Those are some amazing guns and serious compitition. One shooter had a powder measure with the scale mounted in a glass box. That is precision.

I'd love to get one of the whitworths being as I'm half-brit and a southerner but from what I've read the current reproductions aren't that great, I'd want to look for one of the better ones that were made a few years ago. They also seem to be slightly beginner unfriendly.

An 1863 sharps though looks pretty awesome even though it's not a front stuffer. I'll have to sit down and really think about it before I pull the trigger and get something.

Wolfhaven:

Perfect 'Gateway' BP breechloader is an I.A.B. Sharps. That's what I started with.

They are superbly made. Far better than a lot of the other Italian Repros. Great fit and finish. Accurate. Fun to shoot and cheap in comparison, say, to a Shiloh.

We're not supposed to post links... so I will not incur the wrath of the mods. But go to Gunbroker and look up items: 328609967 and 328146035. The second one is not listed as an IAB. But I think it is based on the checkering.

The first one definitely is an I.A.B. and the asking price is in range for one. These are probably the best bargain in a 'starter' BP breech-loader rifle that you can get. Fun, inexpensive, lets you play with all the stuff like molds, measures, etc. They are very accurate. Worth adding a globe sight set and a level.

Once you go black (powder) you never go back! ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ugh cannons, don't get me going. I only have some small ones. This one is cute,2 1/8 bore. Perfect for lobbing concrete filled tomato paste cans through trees. Don't even ask about the flintlock blunderbuss with a grenade launcher sight for shooting custom slugs!
leftside.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plastikosmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ugh cannons, don't get me going. I only have some small ones. This one is cute,2 1/8 bore. Perfect for lobbing concrete filled tomato paste cans through trees. Don't even ask about the flintlock blunderbuss with a grenade launcher sight for shooting custom slugs!
leftside.jpg
</div></div>

That thing is sweet! And quite cute. I bought blueprints for an all brass Cohorn mortar a few years ago for a friend of mine to build for me. This makes me want to get that project started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plastikosmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MVC-001F.jpg

</div></div>
ˆ This. Blows my mind. Looks like the beginning of a new problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANG Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a YouTube link to a guy shooting a Euroarms repro .451 Alex Henry rifle at long range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUYQ7wG2NA </div></div>

Very impressive shooting with a Rem 700, even more with a smokepole.

Well I appear to have gotten the bug for BP just in time. A festival I'm going to over the summer is offering this:

"Black Powder Rifle Class – Build Your Own Rifle!
Chris Suprock, expert machinist with a PhD in mechanical engineering from the University of New Hampshire, provides parts and know-how for this one-of-a-kind class, to be held on Thursday afternoon (June 20th), in which participants build and take home a genuine .50 caliber black powder rifle. Class includes Kentucky percussion rifle parts, machine-rifled barrel, assembly tools, finishing products, disposables, and expert instruction. Optional barrel bluing or clear ceramic enamel is available at no additional cost. Participants will take home a high-quality, fully functional rifle, accurate to 100+ yds with steel sights. Participants are also invited to accompany Chris to the Advanced Shoot at the Dalton Gang Shooting Club on Saturday morning to try out their new creations.

**We ask that only registrants with prior shooting experience sign up for this class**

$479.00"

I'm really tempted to sign up for it, what do you guys think?

First, Blackpowder rocks. Just another thing to learn and experience. The rifle u will be building is well worth that experience and may provide u a great intro/tutorial. The biggest thing i hear on the range ( right after I surprise someone how accurate they can be) is that black is hard to clean. Frankly it is easier to clean than my cf guns. Heck some throw their pistols in the dishwasher! My technique:
1) I clean at the range, same w cf
2) I prefer true Blackpowder, ymmv with other products
3) I clean with plain old windex, others use soapy water/ ballisol etc. after clean I run a patch with some oil on it for storage. Shot of windex on a patch prior to shooting ( oil and black don't work well)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

$479.00"

I'm really tempted to sign up for it, what do you guys think? </div></div>

I would do it in a heartbeat. Just a little more expensive than a regular kit longrifle with good instruction to go with it and probably a better rifle.

I'm seriously looking into building one of those kit rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

$479.00"

I'm really tempted to sign up for it, what do you guys think? </div></div>

Think of it this way... the 4-6 hours with the instructor over a weekend and expert advice... that's worth a good $50 an hour. Actually a lot more when you consider what you'll learn. So figure the rifle is somewhere between $179 and free...

Definitely worth doing. If you read Muzzle Blasts, there are some week-long immersion classes that are higher priced, but are major skill-set builders. There is one neat one called 'finish your project' which invites people who have started kits but gotten stalled one way or another to bring their gun to finish. I can sympathize with that, because I always get off to a great start, get stuck... and then it sits.

There are excellent courses out there. If there is anyone in your area who is a 'builder'... see if you can glom on to them some weekends or days or whatever. Lots will give you tips and help, maybe in return for some $$ or even shop help. The apprentice system is alive and well with artisans like that.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seriously looking into building one of those kit rifles. </div></div>

I am on the finishing stages on my first kit. It is 45 cal Derringer pistol. It involved a lot of wood, metal work, and patience. Next I would like to tackle the full size longrifle. I have made some mistakes on the Derringer but have gained lots of experience.

very cool. I was hoping some slug gun benchrest shooters would chime in.

Great article... though the History Channel completely leaves out Morgan's Riflemen from the Revolutionary War.

Arguably the decisive factor at Saratoga, this group of (mainly) German and Swiss riflemen were devastating against the British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan's_Riflemen

But overall great article!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Here is a link to pictures of Capt Jack Hinson's Sniper Rifle he used in the war. The author of the book that was written about Jack Hinson in the Civil War is now the proud owner of Jack's rifle. These photos was taken at a book signing event. You can read a brief story about Jack Hinson is the post I made above.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=jack+hinson+sniper+rifle#page=0

On right now on the History channel is a show called "Plots to Kill Lincoln" made in 2004.

They are demonstrating the Whitworth out at the same Blackwater Range I first trained at in Moyock, NC!

They are shooting the Whitworth with fitted bullets out to 800 yards to see if they can replicate the shot that confederate sharpshooters tried to make on Lincoln as he inspected the front lines at Ft. Stevens. Michael Yeardley is the shooter.

They did not make it on the first day, but once the wind died down the second morning (on a different range), they made a first-shot center hit at 800 yds!

Very neat to see! Especially on the Blackwater range!

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On right now on the History channel is a show called "Plots to Kill Lincoln" made in 2004.

</div></div>

Missed it but I found when it will be coming on again and the dvr is set. It sounds like a must see.

Thanks

For anyone looking for an out of the box option: consider a Davide Petersole Gibbs rifle in either .40 or .45. They've been very successful in Creedmore type shooting.

Just wondering if there is any room in this section for muzzleloaders like the 1861 Springfield? I don't own one yet but will be purchasing one soon and would like to give and receive info with others. Check out the history in this weapon.
I'd like to see that. The older I get, the more I find myself wanting to get into muzzle loaders. I don't know why though. I would have a lot to learn because I don't know jack about this genre of firearms.

I'd like to see that. The older I get, the more I find myself wanting to get into muzzle loaders. I don't know why though. I would have a lot to learn because I don't know jack about this genre of firearms.

I have done tons of research and talked to many bp enthusiust since this thread was started and a whole new world has opened up to me. I have decided on going back earlier than the 1861 and I'm having a flintlock Virginia rifle built; I cannot wait to shoot it. I may have to start a new thread when I get it. America's history is rich and needs to stay alive.

Airborne:

Great to hear and, yes, please do post! Which maker/style are you going with?

America's original sniper rifle. Of note, was watching the series "The Revolution" on History or similar. They referred to Lexington/Concord not so much as a revolution... but as a 'rural riot.' British came to get the powder, ball and guns in Concord and the farmers/minutemen rioted. They weren't necessarily thinking about starting a revolution, but once the fuse was lit. And not all... but enough of them had rifles that they made life very difficult for the British on the walk back to Boston.

If you haven't seen it... the old Disney movie Johnny Tremain should be required viewing for every American and every youth. The "Lexington Concord" scenes (while about as historically accurate as the Disney Castle) makes you want to stand up and cheer!

Cheers and congrats. This is a great thread!

Sirhr

Rock locks are a blast. They really help u shoot/ get rid of flinch. You have to maintain you target/ sight focus through an explosion and delay right in front of your face. I love them

Airborne:

Great to hear and, yes, please do post! Which maker/style are you going with?

America's original sniper rifle. Of note, was watching the series "The Revolution" on History or similar. They referred to Lexington/Concord not so much as a revolution... but as a 'rural riot.' British came to get the powder, ball and guns in Concord and the farmers/minutemen rioted. They weren't necessarily thinking about starting a revolution, but once the fuse was lit. And not all... but enough of them had rifles that they made life very difficult for the British on the walk back to Boston.

If you haven't seen it... the old Disney movie Johnny Tremain should be required viewing for every American and every youth. The "Lexington Concord" scenes (while about as historically accurate as the Disney Castle) makes you want to stand up and cheer!

Cheers and congrats. This is a great thread!

Sirhr

I don't know what specific style the rifle will be. The gun builders name is Donnie and he lives in North Alabama. I told him what I wanted; a good hunting rifle, good long range accuracy, and still be able to re-inact our fur trade era campouts. He suggested the 54 cal Virginia. I don't have any pics while he is building it but he did say it will be similar to a Jaeger.

I shot 2 muzzleloader pistols this weekend that I have acquired; an 1851 Navy and a Philidelphia Derringer. We had loads of fun with them.

Earlier in this thread, I posted some pictures of my Dickert-inspired Lancaster Pennsylvania rifle project.

Well, it's finished! I did the initial metal and inletting work and the engraving, carving and finishing was done by Ed Parry of Black Hart Longarms in Ct. Unbelieveable how it came out. I am already getting started on another one. Because I am a glutton for punishment...

I can't put into pictures how light and delicate this gun is. It's a 32 caliber, so it has only a 7/8" barrel across the flats. In every dimension, it is slimmer and more delicate than the bigger rifles. The only downside is that the little bore makes the rifle a bit front heavy. But I wanted a true squirrel rifle and this is just magnificent. All the fittings are German Silver... a bit late for Dickert who used brass or iron. The stock is exhibition-grade curly maple. Damn expensive piece of wood, but the results are worth it. It just glows. Gives a new meaning to the term 'new stick!'

Here's some pictures:

dickert_zpscdd59b6a.jpg

dickert2_zpsf15c311a.jpg

Dickert1_zps9ed4e295.jpg

dickertstock_zpsab778795.jpg

dickerttang_zpse20f4013.jpg

dickertcarving_zpsf0cd2864.jpg

dickertmuzzle_zps0f9c6689.jpg

dickertstar_zps2214501e.jpg

dickertpatchbox_zps603627ce.jpg

dickertpatchboxlid_zpsd1b5dbc1.jpg

If anyone is interested, I spent about a year 'picking' at the fitting and metalwork to get it fitted and patch box and other stuff inletted. I waited another year for Ed to do his magic. And it has been worth every second.

Range report coming as soon as I can get some small shot for it. My local shop does not stock the little balls. Hi, Dixie Gun Works??

My next project is going to be a Wall Gun from The Rifle Shoppe. It has a 1" bore. Yes... that's One Inch.

Black Hart Long Arms

Cheers,

Sirhr

mm guess i'm cheating mine shoots 73 grains of h322 or AA-2015 with a 200 gr. .40 cal. sst with blue sabot and w-w (wonder wad) oh its .45 caliber
this is 2900 fps and usually around .75 inch at 100 yards. longest deer kill - 208 lasered yards.

PB041195.jpg

Plastikosmd,

Are we going to see you in Cody with the big Breisen in June? There's a grand to shoot for.

Steve

Plastikosmd,

Are we going to see you in Cody with the big Breisen in June? There's a grand to shoot for.

Steve

sigh, i wish steve, i wish. Someday I hope to make the trip to one of the big shoots. At this point I would probably use the morris slug gun over the breisen as I am still working with it. Frankly I need to get back to working up loads on both of them. I would bring the big gun for people to handle/shoot if they would want to. Great to see u over here steve, good group of people here.

Plas,

We'll keep a light on for you...I'm thinking of reviving the Berdan Match that we shot up at Livingston and will keep you appraised. It was the same shooting requirements as qualifying for Berdan's Sharpshooters and a 4-target, unknown distance practical course following. A heap of fun with the slug rifles...as long as you could get one into position in the field. A Practical Rifle match for bulleted muzzleloaders, although a friend with a .54 flintlock shot well enough to keep a crew off a cannon at 550 yards.

Take care,

Steve

Dammit. I've been eying some of those "Make it yourself" kits for a flintlock. Anyone recommend a good one? This seems terribly interesting to me.

aur0ra145,

Muzzleloaders are like any other firearm...you get what you pay for. I would recommend the kits from Jim Chambers. I've used several and they are exceptional quality. There's nothing worse than a bad flintlock. Get a good one.

Steve

Aurora:

Track of the Wolf has some amazing kits as well, but both the Chambers kits and the TOTW kits (along with The Rifle Shoppe) are going to be somewhat complicated for a first effort. Steve Garbe is right on... there is a big difference between a good kit and a cheap kit.

For your first effort, at kit building, I might make a couple of suggestions. 1 would be to try and find a 'cheap' CVA kit such as their Trappers Pistol or Kentucky Pistol. It is a caplock. But gets you familiar with the process for cheap and they are fun kits. After that, you will have the 'feel' for building a better one.

Also, don't be afraid to take a class or work with a builder. The Contemporary Longrifle Assn. and the NMLRA both offer week-long or weekend-type courses that get your gun started under the tutlage of a master. You can do the finishing yourself.

Gotta run. Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette