• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing muzzleloaders?

miniman93

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
SD
wat do you guys use for bullet and powder combos. im currently using 100 grain triple 7 and 300 grain hordady FPB

Re: muzzleloaders?

Traditions Vortek, .50cal
old:
Two 50gr pellets of Triple 7 and a 250gr Barnes Expander MZ
new:
80gr Blackhorn 209 and same bullet

I'm shooting 3 pellets (150 gr) triple 7, and 230 gr barnes, out of a Thompson Triumph. Shoots very flat, accurate, and hits hard.

Shooting a CVA Buckhorn mag using 100gr triple 7 and 250gr Hornady SST. For a cheap MZ loader it shoots great groups at 100 with this combo.

TC Hawken with patched round ball and 90gr 2F powder.

Here in PA, you can only use patched round ball / conicals in the late hunting season with Flintlock.

Early season starts same day as squirrel and you can use a percussion cap and sabots but where's the fun in that?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TC Hawken with patched round ball and 90gr 2F powder.

Here in PA, you can only use patched round ball / conicals in the late hunting season with Flintlock.

Early season starts same day as squirrel and you can use a percussion cap and sabots but where's the fun in that?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Lyman Great Plains .54cal with patched round ball and 80gr FFg (Goex) Same load that I use for Silhouette and Rondevous so I am comfortable with it and know where it shoots.

100 grain 777 with 245 grain TC shockwave from wal mart. worked as well as any other combos i tried in several different guns.

I run the same 100 grains (2 pills) of 777, but with the lightest for caliber, 200gr Shockwaves. Its a 40cal (yellow tip) bullet in a 50cal. (blue) sabot. 777 pushes them just over 2000fps from my Encore, they group great (under 2 moa avg.) and kill beautifully. Pass thrus are the norm, only 10" drop @ 200yds from 100yd zero...

tc impact hornady 250gr. sst-ml low drag sabot over 2 50gr. magnum 777 pellets. hits very hard with good accuracy.

Flintlock; T/C Renegade: .490 dia patched lead round ball over 100 grains of 2F Goex black powder. Was shooting it yesterday, only had time for three shots but put them into 6" offhand @ 100 yards. That's pretty much as far as I'll be shooting an open-sighted flintlock @ deer anyways, so good enough.

Inline: CVA MagBolt Hunter: 200 grain .45 cal Hornady SST/ML sabot over 100 grains of triple seven pellets and 5 grains of 2F (for faster, more reliable ignition ignited by a 209 primer. Accurate enough for smacking deer out to 200 with ease. I love the way it kills stuff.

-Deadly.

I shoot a Cabela's (Interarms) Hawken .50 cal. Patched ball and 90gr of Goex 2f.

muzzleloader.jpg

225 grain Horandy FTX bullet with 70 grians (weighed not volume) of blackhorn 209 gives me 1860fps in my short 20" 209x50 T/C Encore. Thats about a 95grain by volume equivalent. This load will put 3 into less than an inch at 50 yards and about 1.5-2" at 100y using shooting sticks as a rest while sitting on the ground, real world hunting position.
wink.gif
What even better, after coaching my 15 year old daughter we share the same zero. Thats a shout out to jacob at rifle's only!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bornhunter04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tc impact hornady 250gr. sst-ml low drag sabot over 2 50gr. magnum 777 pellets. hits very hard with good accuracy.</div></div>

I'm running the same thing, but with 120grns of 777 loose powder. I get between 1.5-2.5 groups at 100yds with the 250gr SST. I was using the FPB, and was getting 6-8 inch groups.

I run a Rem ML, with good old black powder at 95 grains and 300 grain Hornady XTP's. If I do my part it will touch em at 100. For some reason 95 grains is the sweet spot, any higher and I get some wild group. Too cheap to shoot the pellets. Incidently that bullet has dropped every deer I have shot, some literally in their tracks.

I am shooting 62G of H4198 under a Hornady 200G SST Getting muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. My barrel is a custom 45 cal from Pac Nor.

Former loads, T/C Omega:
110gr 777 and 200 Shockwave, good to 400 yds (longest shot and kill on game 338 yds)

135gr 77 and 325gr .458 FTX, good to 500 yds (longest shot on game and kill ~200 yds) This load caused amazing damage and once penetrated a deer from the front of the chest to the back of one of the hams at <30 yds.

The I build a custom Savage with PacNor .45 barrel. Now a duplex load (mix escapes me) of AA5744 for booster and H322 as the main charge, 2770fps with a 200 Shockwave. Shoots a lot flatter to 500yds than the Omega but so far in the 3 years with this gun I have managed to get within ~200yds for all shots.

TC Omega - 100gr(by volume...70gr weight) Blackhorn - 250gr Barnes TMZ - Winchester 209 primer

The TMZ's load really hard, but are very accurate. I'm going to experiment with some other bullets to see if I can find one that loads easier and is as accurate. Bought some TEZ's and SST's to try.

Savage 10ml II

45 grains Lil Gun or Vhit 110. with a MMP sabot and 240 xtp.
can't remember the velocity buy I love not worrying about cleaning it right after I shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HANDYMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage 10ml II

45 grains Lil Gun or Vhit 110. with a MMP sabot and 240 xtp.
can't remember the velocity buy I love not worrying about cleaning it right after I shoot it. </div></div>

As an FYI, just in case you hadn't heard, Lil' Gun had fallen out of favor with the Savage crowd after several incidences that were attributed to the fine grains working into the vent and causing excessive pressure behind the chamber, leading to injury to the shooter. I'm not sure what Savage says about it but the person who reported it to me...and advised me not to use that or H110...is one of the most experienced and respected smokeless ML pioneers.

He was also one of those injured by Lil' Gun.

And +1 on cleaning, I have not cleaned my bore in 3 years. I don't shoot it an awful lot but it's still shooting MOA to 300 yards.

im a cva optima man my self, 150 grains of pyrodex and a 240gr hornady sst, ive never had any problems, killed anything from deer to bear

I shoot a Tc encore 209 x .50
It won't group within 6" at 100 yards with ANY conical
Ive tested 3 kinds of power belts, hornady fpb(worst of all), maxi ball, maxi hunter ...
The only thing that groups are sabots, they are about moa to 200 yards.
777 sucks to use with sabots ie. reloads are very difficult.
My current load that shoots like a dream, and is easy to reload is: 110 grains black horn powder, rem shotgun primers, harvester crush rib sabots, hornady .452 xtp bullets.
The blackhorn powder is the key to using sabots... added bonus is clean up is super easy, and no water is involved.
Shot a buck at 190 yards opening day this year.