• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My 1911 - Coal Creek Armory Isonite QPQ

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
Here is the link to my thread I started over in the gunsmithing section ( Link ) that detailed my efforts leading up to here. Basically, I got bit by the 1911 bug early on and bought a Colt in the early '90's. Unfortunately, I had to sell that pistol and I still regret it to this day. So, one day a friend of mine asks me to bring a SA 1911 (that his dad had won at a NRA banquet)by my local gun guru's shop to have the creepy trigger honed. I stood in amazement as the 'smith worked his craft on the 1911 and handed me back a completely different feeling gun. I immediately started looking for a 1911 that had all of the features that I desired, when my gun guy suggested buying a Caspian frame and putting together the gun that I wanted, instead of settling on features or paying for a custom gun. I picked up a Caspian Recon frame and started ordering a few pieces a month, until I had enough to start working on the project.

Aside #1 - You'll notice by the post dates that I started this journey back in August of 2010. Don't let this deter you if you want to take a similar path. Funding issues, work, lack of free time, etc., prevented me from doing this project all at once. My gun guy said that he could finish a 1911 build from bare frame up in 8-10 hours. I obviously did it the slow way.

I am not a gunsmith, but I have always worked on my own gear. I purchased whatever videos and books that detailed building a 1911 and made frequent trips to my 'smith, when I hit a snag. I put all of my files, stones and tools in an el cheapo toolbox and brought it with me on details or left it under my desk at work and used any break I had to do a little honing. I now know every part and function of this 1911 and it will someday be passed down to my son.

After project completion and function testing, I started looking to have the gun coated. My gun guy suggested Coal Creek Armory's Isonite QPQ, since I was looking to go with basic black. I shipped the pistol off to CCA and was quoted 6-8 weeks for the job to be completed. It actually took 11 weeks, but considering the holidays were in the mix, I'm still pleased. Yesterday, I got the call that the process was completed and this morning I'm in possesion of the completed project.

Here she is:

Before:

ef3c6a7f.jpg

After:

88c1c154.jpg

b56f57aa.jpg

bcf9231c.jpg

2f99960d.jpg

I don't have the tools I need to break it down, but from the surface.... it looks and functions great.

Aside #2 - My experience with Coal Creek Armory (Their website) :
I made 4 phone calls to CCA while deciding on their process, getting shipping info and during my wait. Two of the calls were handled with the level of customer service that I expect and two weren't.... let's just say positive. Maybe I'm just used to the stellar interaction that Scott McRee, Mark Gordon or Jay Ruby have always had with me. The end result looks great and I'll shoot the hell out of it to do a true field eval.

Re: My 1911 - Coal Creek Armory Isonite QPQ

That is bad ass, I hope to build a 1911 too, I hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is bad ass, I hope to build a 1911 too, I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. </div></div>

Thank you sir. I'm going to bring it up to NTRP on my next visit in March. Come by, if you're off and I'll let you run some rounds through it.

Just curious. What was the cost of the build, and have you had a chance to put rounds through it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious. What was the cost of the build, and have you had a chance to put rounds through it? </div></div>

I never have totalled the cost for all of the parts. Plausible deniability, if the wife ever asks. lol

I function tested it at a local indoor 15-yard range, prior to shipping it off for finishing. I'm no pistol shooter, but it shot a decent first group with range ball ammo. The sights are a CQB type, that are different from my issued Glock, so they'll take some getting used to.

Crappy iPhone photo:
6bd77a4c.jpg

I would love to someday build a 1911. It's high on the bucket list. OP, yours looks fantastic. Congrats on an outstanding build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiritZeroThree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BIPMaster, it's not really all that hard to do, so get on it!

The route i went:
Foster Ind. frame
Sarco builders kit with Commercial slide
.45 ACP Go/No-Go guage set
Trigger Adjustment pins

Add in some duracoat for the frame, and any other basic hand tools that you lack, and you have yourself a great .45 to start tinkering with.
5794784273_fd67cce238_z.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome job and deserves its own thread! How did your slide and frame fit? That'd really be my only concern...the rest, you can fit at home no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Awesome job and deserves its own thread! How did your slide and frame fit? That'd really be my only concern...the rest, you can fit at home no problem. </div></div>

Files, 1000 grit lapping compound, and patience. it was a lot of file, measure, file, measure, file, measure, test fit, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiritZeroThree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Awesome job and deserves its own thread! How did your slide and frame fit? That'd really be my only concern...the rest, you can fit at home no problem. </div></div>

Files, 1000 grit lapping compound, and patience. it was a lot of file, measure, file, measure, file, measure, test fit, etc. </div></div>

I tried at first to use the most scientific approach, by using a micrometer to measure my needed parts. It became evident that the ink, file and fit method was the way to go.

i know nothing of pistols. But one day i will own a 1911. nice looking side arms fellas

looks very good !
was the barrel also melonited or finished in matching black oxide ?

I finally got the chance to break everything down, check the internals and run 100 rounds through my 1911. My request at the time of shipping the pistol off was for all visible parts, except for the trigger, to be finished. Everything was finished as requested, even the recoil spring. In the photo below, the shine on the front of the barrel is glare. None of the parts that contact metal-to-metal showed any sign of wear, except for the firing pin stop, which shows an outline of the hammer strikes.

61c93030.jpg

663d550b.jpg

I was most impressed with the finishing and will continue to torture it (lovingly) as time allows.

I ran numerous one-hole drills and shot this 35 shot group at 7 yards unsupported. The CQB sights are growing on me.

5c9facbc.jpg

looks good. Melonite and PVD finishes are simply amazing.

Very nice, and Coal Creek Armory is my usual gun shop. They used to be a lot smaller, but every trip there they're more and more a flurry activity. Great bunch of folks and they do very fine work, but they've definitely become very busy lately and for good reasons. My only complaint is every time I walk out their door my hands are heavier but my wallet is lighter...

I've been looking at getting a new 1911 and that is one beautiful gun