• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 1st Bolt Action

dteam702

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
California
Scope finally came in, now the rifle is not so naked anymore. This is my 1st bolt action rifle, and won't be my last.
grin.gif

Next rifle I'm getting is going to be for hunting, please advise on a good all around rifle & and caliber I should consider getting. Thanks in advance..

Enjoy.
76572496.jpg

ai1i.jpg

ai2pg.jpg

Re: My 1st Bolt Action

my opinion is a 30-06, it has the most versatil of projectiles 30-06 is not considered a precision round but i garentee it will suprize you and be extremely functional .30 cal so you can run all the standard amax, btsp, and fmj. it is and extremely well rounded cartage

ive seen it take down magnums with ease,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my opinion is a 30-06, it has the most versatil of projectiles 30-06 is not considered a precision round but i garentee it will suprize you and be extremely functional .30 cal so you can run all the standard amax, btsp, and fmj. it is and extremely well rounded cartage

ive seen it take down magnums with ease, </div></div>

Thnx for the suggestion.

WOW! Very nice rig!

Good grief! and here I was expecting to see a Stevens 200 with a Barfska on top.

You like going into things balls to the wall don't you!

Here's a cool hunting rifle I've always wanted. It's different from most bolt actions in that there is a spring camming action upon bolt closing.

http://www.schuermanarms.com/

You can afford that and you only want to buy <span style="font-style: italic">one </span>rifle for hunting? I would recomend at least 2

1. A heavy barrel .243
2. A 30/06 in a regular sporter.

Although, depending where you live in California, you may have to use lead free ammunition so a .308 with Barnes 150 gr. TTSX should be able to take just about anything with the right shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and your California artificial turf grass suck just as much as your rig.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Had grass before and ripped it out for artificial turff, gonna put in a playhouse for the kids there. If you have some other recommendation to replace this sucky rig I'm all ears kind Sir.

No messing around there! Nice rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good grief! and here I was expecting to see a Stevens 200 with a Barfska on top.

You like going into things balls to the wall don't you!

Here's a cool hunting rifle I've always wanted. It's different from most bolt actions in that there is a spring camming action upon bolt closing.

http://www.schuermanarms.com/

</div></div>

I can say I'm very fortunate, so when I buy things I like to go all out and do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can afford that and you only want to buy <span style="font-style: italic">one </span>rifle for hunting? I would recomend at least 2

1. A heavy barrel .243
2. A 30/06 in a regular sporter.

Although, depending where you live in California, you may have to use lead free ammunition so a .308 with Barnes 150 gr. TTSX should be able to take just about anything with the right shot placement. </div></div>

I don't plan on hunting in California, and trust me I hate being here
mad.gif

That's a sweet rig man.
On the hunting note, I would start with a remington sendero, have the action worked on, muzzle break it, or get a can for it and throw you a nice scope on it. I like the 22-250, 243 and 25-06 rounds for hunting until you get into big game, then I take out the 300 win mag. That might be overkill, but I don't like to hunt down animals that run after they are hit.

That's your first Bolt rifle?!? Damn you didn't beat around the bush haha. Very nice rifle.

What are you looking for in a hunting round? What environment will you be hunting. Will you be taking decent size game at a range?

Depending on environments .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5-.284, .284 winchester. Will work.

If you need something with more pop, 300WSM, 7mm WSM (Personally a favorite along with the .284), .300WM, .300WBY, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm STW, etc. The list goes on. Plenty will do the josb it's just a matter of personal preference and which is best for you.

I skipped the rounds like the 30-06, .280 etc. because i can get similar ballistics with the SA variants of those rounds, and i'd rather use a SA and lower recoiled round. But 30-06 and .280 are still a fine choice.

Remington 700 SPS make great hunting rifles.

If you got coin to drop, XCR is nice too.

I used to use 30-06 but switched to .308. Either way you can't go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 700 SPS make great hunting rifles.

If you got coin to drop, XCR is nice too.

I used to use 30-06 but switched to .308. Either way you can't go wrong. </div></div>

I like nice things and not afraid to spend.

Holy crap! nice rig, what caliber is it? and who makes it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap! nice rig, what caliber is it? and who makes it? </div></div>

AI AX 338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN......That looks nothing like my first bolt gun </div></div>

I am a very fortunate man..
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dteam702</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and your California artificial turf grass suck just as much as your rig.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Had grass before and ripped it out for artificial turff, gonna put in a playhouse for the kids there. If you have some other recommendation to replace this sucky rig I'm all ears kind Sir. </div></div>

Daisy BB gun.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dteam702</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and your California artificial turf grass suck just as much as your rig.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Had grass before and ripped it out for artificial turff, gonna put in a playhouse for the kids there. If you have some other recommendation to replace this sucky rig I'm all ears kind Sir. </div></div>

Daisy BB gun.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Make and model??
crazy.gif

You obviously make pretty good money:
-You have over 10k in your first bolt gun.
-You must have a decent camera, because those are some nice photos.
-I know what "I'm very fortunate" means, haha

So, I say do it right on your first hunting rifle as well. Pick the cartridge you want to go with, pick your parts, and have one of the many fine builders who spend time on this site put it together for you.

Here's what I would put together if I was in your shoes.
-Bighorn Arms short action sporter
-Mark Chanlynn 23" in .300 WSM
-Lone Wolf Summit stock
-Whatever scope you want...another S&B? haha

I prefer iron sights on my hunting rifles. You may not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clone Worthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough to get giddy about an AI for Utility,or a 5D2 for same. The 70-200 II is a focal length I don't often incorporate and the astroturf frosts the melding nicely in it's summation of "nice try".

Must be nice,to be pleased so easily.

</div></div>

WoW Clone!!!!! You are really good.. Figured I can spend 11k for 2x5D2, 70-200 II, 24-70 f2.8, 580i flash and accessories just to take family pics I can indulge myself with toys I can appreciate.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clone Worthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you bitching or bragging?

Great news that you can suffer the 5D2's paltry AF,frame rate and buffer depth,but obviously your "demands" are well shy of modest. Congratulations? I'll greedily take the 24-105 and IS,over the 35mm concession to the 24-70,for a measly single stop of light. The 70-200 II never showed me much,whether on a 5D,5D2,1Ds,1D2N,1D3 or on any of the APS-C sensors from 40D-7D.

Flash is subjective,but I much prefer Au Naturale and ambient light...thus the impetus to whistle F/1.4 glass as requisite.

Appreciate your taking the time to reiterate the obvious and exceedingly good call to refrain all talk about the rifle.

</div></div>

Far from bragging Sir. Just figured u are very knowledgable and know how to extract data on a photo, you must have same passion in photography just as I.

Rem 700. Easy to find used. Lots of available parts. Everyone knows them. In fallable. Just my two cents.

As for caliber, .308 or 30-06, both of which are readily available inexpensively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A2DownRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...used...inexpensively. </div></div>

Two things that this guys probably not worried about, haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dteam702</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clone Worthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you bitching or bragging?

Great news that you can suffer the 5D2's paltry AF,frame rate and buffer depth,but obviously your "demands" are well shy of modest. Congratulations? I'll greedily take the 24-105 and IS,over the 35mm concession to the 24-70,for a measly single stop of light. The 70-200 II never showed me much,whether on a 5D,5D2,1Ds,1D2N,1D3 or on any of the APS-C sensors from 40D-7D.

Flash is subjective,but I much prefer Au Naturale and ambient light...thus the impetus to whistle F/1.4 glass as requisite.

Appreciate your taking the time to reiterate the obvious and exceedingly good call to refrain all talk about the rifle.

</div></div>

Far from bragging Sir. Just figured u are very knowledgable and know how to extract data on a photo, you must have same passion in photography just as I. </div></div>

Uh-oh...You been NOBODY'ed. By a guy that got banned years ago but sneaks on the SH once in a while to insert his exceedingly infamous knowledge and generally piss people off. It's kinda funny to some of us but not so much if you happen to be the one he's currently aiming at.

A thick skin on this site will carry you far,LOL.

BTW that Schuerman is the smoothest bolt action I've ever felt. Unique as can be. Especially in that you can point the barrel towards the ground,holding the bolt back in it's rearward most position,then letting go of the bolt and it will close,"bolt down" by it's self!

Just use that rig for hunting. I use mine for everything,that way I know my rifle and wind inside out. I have a lot of rifles but only one gets used. unless I get to go on an elk hunting trip. My rig is a 6.5x47 it works great on dear,coyotes and pigs. I would buy a 7mm mag for hunting big stuff if I were you. 180 gr. Berger bullets = Dead Elk. I shoot 140 gr. Berger's in my 6.5x47 so I can shoot matches and hunt with the same bullet same load. That way I have no new tricks to learn while hunting.

You just need to use your calibers backwards of mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Uh-oh...You been NOBODY'ed. By a guy that got banned years ago but sneaks on the SH once in a while to insert his exceedingly infamous knowledge and generally piss people off. It's kinda funny to some of us but not so much if you happen to be the one he's currently aiming at.

A thick skin on this site will carry you far,LOL.

BTW that Schuerman is the smoothest bolt action I've ever felt. Unique as can be. Especially in that you can point the barrel towards the ground,holding the bolt back in it's rearward most position,then letting go of the bolt and it will close,"bolt down" by it's self!

</div></div>

Life is too short for me to be mad at little things. Thanks for looking out and the advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use that rig for hunting. I use mine for everything,that way I know my rifle and wind inside out. I have a lot of rifles but only one gets used. unless I get to go on an elk hunting trip. My rig is a 6.5x47 it works great on dear,coyotes and pigs. I would buy a 7mm mag for hunting big stuff if I were you. 180 gr. Berger bullets = Dead Elk. I shoot 140 gr. Berger's in my 6.5x47 so I can shoot matches and hunt with the same bullet same load. That way I have no new tricks to learn while hunting. </div></div>

I figure the AI would be a little overkill for hunting, so you would suggest the 6.5 round?

If you get any of the 6.5mm family you will be very pleased. They are so nice to shoot, you can put a 100 rounds down range and it will seem like you only got to shoot 5 times. I would recommend any of the following: 6.5x47 Lapua/6.5 Creedmore/.260 the 6.5x47 would be my pick of those but thats just because I really like Lapua brass.

I agree that that is a VERY nice first rifle, but the best rifle in the world is just an expensive club if you can't shoot. Being your fist bolt rifle AND a .338, you better get to practicing, lol. Have fun and welcome to the club.

I have great luck with TTSX in 308. It's a fantastic hunting round. Opens up close and penetrates far.

Regards,
Greyson