• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes my 1st real nice setup i need help m1a w/ s&b, nf?

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Hey guys, i decided to get rid of my oddball calibers and buy an m1a national match and just get good with 1 rifle. I have never owned a really high end optic, highest end one was a falcon menace or my super sniper 10x. I am now in the position to purchase a schmidt and bender to go on top of the m1a. I was told to look into vortex razor, nightforce or uso also. With being my very first optic that is truly a high end scope would a newer shooter notice a difference between a vortex razor and say a uso, or s&b 5x25x56 34mm tube .1 mrad with the h59 reticle? i have right at 4k to spend on this optic but am wondering if i should buy the s&b and say heck with it or save a little and purchase a razor or nightforce and learn to use it prior to biting the bullet on the uso or s&b. Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.

Re: my 1st real nice setup i need help m1a w/ s&b, nf?

Before you do anything is the scope mount on your M1A in line with the bore? I know mine wasn't when I first installed it, not by a long shot.

As far as scopes go ask yourself what options you want in a scope. Mag range, first or second focal, illuminated or not, tube size, is weight a factor, etc.

The one good thing is that if you do buy a NF, S&B, USO, etc they hold their value pretty well. So if you don't like it you'll be able to find someone to take it off your hands without a lot of effort.

I'm in the same boat with the same rifle (model #9102)... Scoping the M1A can be "entertaining" as it could require cheek-rest build-up and possibly an adjustable buttplate.

As for optics: my Vortex Viper HS LR (6-24 XLR FFP) should arrive this coming Tuesday. I have a set of Warne (medium height) QD rings waiting next to a scope-level on my loading bench.

All I have to do now is place an order for the ARMS #18 mount... The anticipation for the complete rifle is brutal.

BBB

Whats the truth that the M1/M1A platform is very hard on the scope and tends to eat scopes? That could be a factor to consider as well if true.

My first high end scope is my USO SN3 3-17x44 erek and #3 windage. It is amazing compared to what I was shooting, cheap bushnells. I looked at NF and SWFAs but there aren't a lot of options to handle in small town MT. There are better reviews out there than I can provide but it is some great glass. That said, my next scope will be a Schmidt&Bender with Horus reticle in hopes that I will like the S&B turret demarcations more. And the Horus reticle just to try out something else. So, I would go strait for the USO or S&B and get what you would really want to start with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootindude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, i decided to get rid of my oddball calibers and buy an m1a national match and just get good with 1 rifle. </div></div>

I was going to be the guy with 2 calibers - .45 ACP for pistol and 30-06 for rifle.

I now have three reloading setups and need 2 more.

It appears you are lying to yourself to justify the big scope purchase "Really hon, its going to be my one rifle."

You will be filling your safe up again within the year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootindude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, i decided to get rid of my oddball calibers and buy an m1a national match and just get good with 1 rifle. </div></div>

I was going to be the guy with 2 calibers - .45 ACP for pistol and 30-06 for rifle.

I now have three reloading setups and need 2 more.

It appears you are lying to yourself to justify the big scope purchase "Really hon, its going to be my one rifle."

You will be filling your safe up again within the year.

funny thing, now i have another m1a, a noveske, 4 new bolt rifles and i ended up going with the night force. I just keep trying to explain that these arent expensive guns hun. Nah the GAP was only 230.00 on sale lol

Honestly, if you have 4gs to drop on a scope, I'd take that $4000 and build yourself a nice custom bolt gun. Sell the m1 and buy yourself a leupold Mark 4 ffp. You'll get way way more precision from that. Just my opinion though. I have two m1as and a few bolt guns. Scopes are on the bolt guns. Aim points are on the M1s