• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors my .22 SupressorUPDATE 4/16/09 PIX's

michael sr.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
Got my new supressor: It did not come with a thread protector! Considering the price I paid I was dumb-founded it was not included?

Supressor:
---$250+ and then plus Sales tax.

---$30 to get finger printed.

---$200 Fed Tax.

---$75 for barrel threading....***

*** I would have had $700++ had I returned my barrel to the supressor manufacturer: $125 to thread, Shipping/insur there, shipping/insur back

I've have over $500++ getting and paying for the altering of perfectly good rifle barrels to use this Supressor: <span style="font-weight: bold">what difference would it be to add another $10 to the price and include the T-protector....???</span>

<span style="font-size: 11pt">NONE!</span>
===============================================================

I screwed the supressor on my ruger 77/22, Heavy Barrel target model. I really just wanted to hear my new toy:

5 rounds of Winchester Wildcat lead; 5 Winchester copper coated...5 CCI's...
eek.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So then I spend time on the net getting the scoop on sub-sonic ammo [below 1100 fps]

Then I recall I have some Remington 22 Long CB loads...much, much quieter...but then again they should be!

Then I tried 5 winchester shorts...a pain in the ass to finger load but they were quiet.

Then I tried, 5 Elley or Eli's (???) quiet.

But right now I am sitting on two 5 gallon buckets full of .22/ammo...and for this ammmo: this suppressor is inadequate<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">!</span></span></span></span>

Hopefully within the next few days I will be able to take 77/22 out and see what happens when I try to zero out a Tasco World Class variable.

But...it looks like I am gonna have to SPEND EVEN MORE TIME AND MONEY FINDING STANDARD VELOCITY .22 AMMO...

ALL IN ALL THIS HAS BEEN <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">ONE EXPENSIVE ENDEVOR </span></span></span>AND<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"> NOW A REAL GOSH-DARN PAIN IN THE ASS BECAUSE OF THE AMMO limitation</span></span>!!!

========================================================================================

Right now if someone was to ask me to do this again I'd say: FUCK NO!

I do not have the knowledge base -at this time- to have a experienced assement/evaluation of my first supressor. Not having the smart's -at this time
grin.gif
- has tempered my dissappointment. Realizing this I will be getting some standard vel .22 ammo!!!

Re: My Outback ll....

Just to help you out I'll let you send me one of the 5gal buckets full!
22ammo.com lists most every 22 I ever heard of and has the velocity of all listed.
look up sniper subsonic at 60 gr it should hold speed better but it might not be stable in your barell.

Re: My Outback ll....

Get some CCI or Remington Subs...the standard velocity stuff is still loud through a can....BTDT.

The thread protector "issue" would be a tough bill to fill for the can manufacturer as there are many barrrel contours people use on rifles...one size does not fit all.

A flash hider for an AR would work.....

Re: My Supressor....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some CCI or Remington Subs...the standard velocity stuff is still loud through a can....BTDT.

<span style="color: #3366FF">The thread protector "issue" would be a tough bill to fill for the can manufacturer as there are many barrrel contours people use on rifles...one size does not fit all.</span>
A flash hider for an AR would work..... </div></div>
============================================================================

I don't know if this is the right way to ask/answer your this post -in Blue- but I I have 3 different barrel contours for this supressor...the machinist, performed his magic on all 3 barrels <span style="text-decoration: underline">to fit the supressor</span>. So what diff does the contour have to do with a thread protector?

Re: Got my .22 Supressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ALL IN ALL THIS HAS BEEN <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">ONE EXPENSIVE ENDEVOR </span></span></span>AND<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"> NOW A REAL GOSH-DARN PAIN IN THE ASS BECAUSE OF THE AMMO limitation</span></span>!!! </div></div>

Yeah... you are right. It is totally unreasonable that someone do a little research before they buy something. I mean... the nerve of those damn people for not telling you that any bullet above the speed of sound will have a sonic crack which will not be attenuated by the suppressor. Not including a thread protector? ... how DARE they.

And the AMMO... don't even get me started. The NERVE of people. The INJUSTICE. I mean... how the hell can you be expected to know that you need to use subsonic ammo to get that 'tacticool' hollywood quiet feeling that you wanted. Its not like every walmart in the country has standard velocity or subsonic ammo for a .22LR.

... jeez... I'd be MAD AS HELL if I were you.

You better give all the ammo away... and throw the suppressor in the chop saw... and saw it into 10 peices and toss it in the river.

I hate how this has worked out for you. I've thought about a suppressor for my MKII BV but it's already so quiet with subsonic ammo that I figured it wouldn't be worth it.

BTW, if it's any consolation I read your signature line and I wish you were my grandpa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ALL IN ALL THIS HAS BEEN <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">ONE EXPENSIVE ENDEVOR </span></span></span>AND<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"> NOW A REAL GOSH-DARN PAIN IN THE ASS BECAUSE OF THE AMMO limitation</span></span>!!! </div></div>

Yeah... you are right. It is totally unreasonable that someone do a little research before they buy something. I mean... the nerve of those damn people for not telling you that any bullet above the speed of sound will have a sonic crack which will not be attenuated by the suppressor. Not including a thread protector? ... how DARE they.

And the AMMO... don't even get me started. The NERVE of people. The INJUSTICE. I mean... how the hell can you be expected to know that you need to use subsonic ammo to get that 'tacticool' hollywood quiet feeling that you wanted. Its not like every walmart in the country has standard velocity or subsonic ammo for a .22LR.

... jeez... I'd be<span style="color: #CC33CC"> <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">MAD AS HELL </span></span></span></span>if I were you.

You better give all the ammo away... and throw the suppressor in the chop saw... and saw it into 10 peices and toss it in the river. </div></div>

======================================

I agree with you ONE HUNDRED PER CENT....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...AT YOUR POST AND AT MYSELF....HEHEHEHEHEEEE

WATCH FOR MY UPDATE.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClamCop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate how this has worked out for you. I've thought about a suppressor for my MKII BV but it's already so quiet with subsonic ammo that I figured it wouldn't be worth it.

<span style="color: #3333FF">BTW, if it's any consolation I read your signature line and I wish you were my grandpa. </div></div></span>

==============================================================================

My grandson did not have school Monday or Tuesday. Monday: I had him all day with me at work; after my delivery's were done we stopped and had a chocolate Yogurt Ice cream cone(2). I parked my 4x4 F-150, 4:10, in the middle of an empty parkinging lot, I dropped the tail gate, sat on the tail gate, swinging our legs, laughing: we slurped our ice cream cone's. His MOM and Grandma would'a killed me had they heard us SLURPING ICE CREAM... Then we went and had lunch, and since we were both tuckered we took a 1hr nap; after we woke up and had our witt's about us we watched SpongeBob, I Carly, & Josh and Jake, then to top of the late afternoon before MOM came to pick him up we had a couple a bowls of Spumoni, with choc-topping. About 4pm we shot hoop's....after we shot hoop's for 20 minutes, he got tired of shooting hoops so we went fishing in my front yard.

I got our fishing poles. I bought -one for each of us- Daiwa's GC80's and have them on 4.5 ft shakespeare rods. Then I got three buckets, set one out at 15 yards. Then I put the other two side by side. We commenced casting into the bucket. For 45 minutes we fished in the front yard. He lost a 10 lb Carp and landed a 5 lb Largemouth bass. As usual I did not catch a thing....I fish better with C-4!

Mom came at 520pm....he wanted to stay and fish!

Tuesday pretty much the same but with different events; altho I was pretty busy until about 3pm. We had more Spumoni, then went outside to shoot hoops BUT then the little boys across the street came out and played with boomer-rangs... As soon as THEY came outside he ran over there to play.

I could not take it anymore!
mad.gif
mad.gif

<span style="font-size: 14pt">I got <span style="color: #CC33CC"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">MAD AS HELL </span></span></span></span></span>
grin.gif
I knew he was watching me cause he kept looking over at me. But I got him....I got out those buckets. Set'em up...he was watching...I went in got the fishing rods. I Stormed out and sat on one of the buckets and started fishing....I did not even look over at him. Figured I'd get even with those little turds...on my 3rd cast.... a little voice: "Grandpa, can I use my fishing rod".....and we fished till mom drove up...

BACK TO MY SUPRESSOR:

Last night after expressing my frustration's here, I was *mentally*
-believe me, this gave me a headache- going over my mistake's and I resolved that today I would find sub-sonic .22 ammo.

I did. I went to my favorite gun store location here: Guns Unlimited, and for about 40 minutes I studied the selection of .22 ammo. I was given a Winchester catalog covering Win's .22 ammo. Then I did a comparison cost between CCI Subsonic velocity[1050] at $6.79 per hundered and Win 22 Long Rifle Subsonic velocity[1065] at $6.58 per hundred.

I bought 100 of each.

I will post pictures of my groups, using Winchester s-sonic ammo..

I went to the only indoor shooting range here: The Bullet Hole. I was assigned lane # 8. It took me ***90 minutes*** to sight in the scope!!!!!! 90 minutes because when you sent the target down range the target swayed from left to right, due to the vibration of it moving down the cables and banging to a stop.

Trying to zero the scope was impossible with the target swaying like it was dancing with the stars. So I had to sit there till it stopped waltzing...

I was amazed how this rifle shot and one group almost ONE HOLE.......my last group was not bad but my breathing and timing were off...just the same..the last group was not bad. It will take more shooting to refine this...

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #33CCFF"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">This wine is not so bitter after all!</span></span></span></span></span>

Posting pic's in a short...

This is why the contour matters:

22004.jpg

22005.jpg

22006.jpg

I daresay if you call somebody up and order a thread protector, it won't fit like this. This was done by Hooper here on the Hide, $100 for the threading, thread protector, and return shipping. Also, my dealer does the fingerprinting for free, you might want to do some shopping around. I just picked up the paperwork for a Liberty Shoofly can today and shot a couple of rounds through it, it looks nice.

ATF stuff ain't cheap or fast, but it's worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why the contour matters:

I daresay if you call somebody up and order a thread protector, it won't fit like this. This was done by Hooper here on the Hide, $100 for the threading, thread protector, and return shipping. Also, my dealer does the fingerprinting for free, you might want to do some shopping around. I just picked up the paperwork for a Liberty Shoofly can today and shot a couple of rounds through it, it looks nice.

ATF stuff ain't cheap or fast, but it's worth it. </div></div>

=========================================

OUT FKING STANDING...GREAT POINT
cool.gif
cool.gif
...wish I had thought of that...
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me more about these fishing buckets....you get much of a salmon run? </div></div>

=============================================

I will post a picture...of these buckets...but I willl have to get my grandson over here and I will take the pic's....

one day he will be too old for this................................................
frown.gif

Not much on the way of Salmon, once in a while a Tarpin or Blue Fin Tuna...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nice looking rifle!

Here is another one, this one done by Terry Cross. Can you see it?
laugh.gif

260002-1.jpg

260005.jpg

+1 on unintended consequences... Henry rocks.

And (on the 22 suppressor) you will not regret it.. Only suppressor that will be hollywood quiet. Love mine and had a 10/22 barrel threaded and my Ruger Mark II,,, one of them is with me all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle!

Here is another one, this one done by Terry Cross. Can you see it?
laugh.gif

260002-1.jpg

260005.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why the contour matters:

22004.jpg

22005.jpg

22006.jpg

ATF stuff ain't cheap or fast, but it's worth it. </div></div>

Glad you like my work Jamie. Thanks for the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm telling you, I should be getting a commission! </div></div>

Yeah, I already have 3 new customers because of you.

Hope the family is doing ok.

Take Care

I had the guys at AWC thread my 10/22 Bull Barrel,and my MKII Bull Barrel,both have thread savers and you can't see the line where they go together. Both fitted for my AWC Titanium Archangel Can. Subsonics are good to go. Just waiting now for the paperwork on my AWC thundertrap for my .308 and .338 lapua. Great work,great after the sale service.

I am glad I make enough money not to have to cost justify what I want.

The thread protectors usually come with the barrel threading, not with the silencer.

You just have to pretend the transfer tax is not there, as it just part of the cost of playing the game.

I just spent close to 5k on hearing aids if I had spent the money on silencers earlier perhaps I would still have my hearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of these suppressed .22 endeavors kind of fascinate me. Is it the movies that is driving this? More squirrel hunters in the suburbs? </div></div>

Do you own a suppressor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah, I already have 3 new customers because of you.

Hope the family is doing ok.

Take Care </div></div>

Everyone's doing great, thanks, the little one healed much faster than the doctors predicted, and only had to stay in the hospital for a little over two weeks. We brought him home Thursday.