• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 300wm 98k

sagillman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2010
Destin, FL
I posted this in the Introduction forum but I figured no one looks at threads there so I'd post it here. Got this for a good deal on gunbroker German Model 98 Mauser sporterized w/bull barrel : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com . the walnut stock was cracked when I received it (obviously from the idiot PO who free floated such a heavy damn barrel). I bought a new stock for it and it came with a tiny barrel channel, so getting the barreled action to fit was a chore. I have never worked on a laminated stock that was so hard to sand as this one was. after that was done I bedded the entire action and barrel channel with devcon, and installed a rear action pillar. the bluing was F'ed so I refinished the barrel action, bottom metal, and the entire bolt minus the extractor with KG flat black. It came with a 2 piece scope base and as my luck would have it none of the 1 piece bases I looked at matched the mounting holes, so I got an EGW undrilled 20MOA base and had a smith drill it for me. after I got the rifle back I was installing the base and discovered the rear of the base needed to be bedded so I broke the devcon back out and got that knocked out. Here's a couple pictures
IMG_0261_zps99f185b9.jpg

IMG_0260_zps5dbbeb50.jpg

IMG_0259_zps4e02dddf.jpg

I'm hopefully going to go to the range sometime this week to see how it shoots.

That is an awesome rifle!! I have a couple K98 rifles in the safe but I'm not sure that I could rebarrel any of them cause they are in pretty good condition. I am very interested in how it will shoot though. I really like the action/safety of the K98s. Great work man.

That is an awesome rifle!! I have a couple K98 rifles in the safe but I'm not sure that I could rebarrel any of them cause they are in pretty good condition. I am very interested in how it will shoot though. I really like the action/safety of the K98s. Great work man.
Thanks, I would have never done what the previous owner did (rebarrel/sporterized), but since what was done is done I thought I would give it a better home so I bought it. I got a set of headspace gauges and made sure everything was good with that. I also inspected the chamber and rifling with a borescope (I'm a mechanic so I just so happen to have one), and it looks as though the rifle was rarely fired. probably sat in some hunters safe and was never taken out because how heavy it was. I got the warne rings because it was the only set I could find locally that wasn't cheap chinese aluminum. I'm going to see how well it does, and if it's a shooter I'll upgrade the glass and rings.

Well it looks amazing and I hope that you have a great shooter. The cool part about the Mauser actions is that it could have been made in the 30s and it is probably still going strong. Happy shooting.

Dave