• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My .308 data w/Varget

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Well, nothing to brag about but I have it worked out to have a load that works in two guns and also "matches" Black Hills 175 match which I have a lot of dope on.
No pics of the first set that I did last week. Lee and Hodgdon list 42 start and 45 max for this combination. I called Sierra and they list 36.? to 41.7 max. I loaded 42.5 -44.5 in .5 gr increments accuracy load was 44.5 but the primers were flattened. I went back and loaded 41-43 in .5 grain increments and ended with 43 as chosen. No idea what happened on that charge with 43 on the Remmy, velocity was low on one shot and I obviously pulled that high one
mad.gif

03-31-11, was 45 cloudy with a mist DA -237. Used a pack w/saddle for the front and rear bag, was prone. No work done on the guns in regards to triggers, etc. all stock.(700 has Hooper Ordnance DBM-uses AI mags)

Remington 700 SPS 20" with Leupold M3

AI AE II with NF 3.5-15 x50 mil/mil, w/zero stop.

Once fired Black Hills brass, WLR primer, 2.8 coal, Varget and 175 SMK.

Nothing fast but they're safe!
700, average velocity was 2439--that's with 43 grains of Varget and the BH loads I chrono'ed
When I did the 44.5, I was 2525

AI was 2470 with 43 of Varget and BH was 2478. The 44.5 was 2625, but when it gets to 95+ around here that would be too warm with that round-be safe
When I checked that BH's last it was 70 degrees and it was 2500, not fast, but accurate--gets me to 1K though.

What you see is the 700 on the left and AI on the right. The two upper rights were two controls with BH for checking the chrono and also checking CCB since I will keep collecting that data.
For the hell of it, I shot one each of the loads on the bottom left with the AI to see what difference there was with all together(no 43 there as I used it on the 700.

Anyhow, though I would share a recipe. If I was only ever shooting at 100, I would use 41 grains as it was accurate as well-I could throw a rock faster though--

Mark

041.jpg

Re: My .308 data w/Varget

Thanks for posting.

I recently ran a test in my 308 using 180SMK and Varget, on a 45*F day. I stopped at 42.75gr @ 2550fps, but need to keep going. My bolt lifted easy, and there was still a nice radius on the edges of the primers.

Your data is very interesting to me. I picked up Varget a few weeks ago and have been loading 168 & 175 SMK's. My primer has been Winchester as well.

My loads went from 42-46gr (stopped at 45 with the 175SMK). I had no pressure signs at all. Infact, loaded some 168s with 46gr to try this weekend. A well known site has the OCW load for the 175SMK of 45gr of varget and 46gr for the 168SMK

My rifle is a 5R Milspec (24"). My nodes seem to be 43gr of varget with the 175s (@2625fps) and 44gr with the 168s (@2700fps). Being that said, you should only be 80-100fps slower out of the 20" barrel.

I'll be watching this thread closely!

Paul

I am loading 44.7g of Varget with the 175 SMK's. That is getting me 2715 fps out of my 5R Milspec.

I had a few good accuracy spots at 42.9g and 43.9g and 44.7g. I did get pressure signs at 45g - 45.1g. Primers started to flatten so I am staying at the 44.7g from here on out.

I had the chrony set at 10' from the muzzle. I shot some other loads after through it, factory 300wm 180 Power Points(3000fps) and A191(2900)

Both 20" barrels on the .308's

The only pressure signs I had at 44.5 were really flat primers, no bolt lift issues, ejector swipes, etc.

I was after a safe and accurate load and a secondary by luck, etc was that that 43 happened to be what factory Black Hills is doing. I figure that will make my data easier once all confirmed so I'm not chasing two loads if I use one or the other if out of one.

I've seen two 5R's, both set up identical shoot a full moa apart, guess no two are alike--

What temp was that 2625 w/43 shot at?

I'll check mine again as since it was full overcast, I didn't install the top "cloud" shields. As I understand, that's the purpose of them ?

Temperature was 40 F with light rain. Altitude of 709 ft, pressure of 29.92. I hope this information helps.

I'm not seeing pressure yet. All of my loads have been with Federal cases.

Paul

FYI I'll be switching back to R15 as soon as I can get my hands on it. Accuracy was slightly better.

Thanks for the info. I did some load for 175 smk with 43-44 gr of Varget,but I never did chrono. I need to load up some 175 and try it.
My regular load for my .308 is Sierra 155 Palma match with 45.5 gr of Varget and chorno at 2850 out of APA 20" barrel with SWR can on it(90 degree day in GA).

i have a question , im new to reloading and i loaded up three 5 rd sets of hornaday 168gr bthp ,

details
winchester brass
case length 2.005
fed 210 primer
varget powder 5 @ 44.5gr , 5 @ 45gr and 5 @45.5gr
over all 2.810

after looking at some of your post , am i loaded to high ?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a question , im new to reloading and i loaded up three 5 rd sets of hornaday 168gr bthp ,

details
winchester brass
case length 2.005
fed 210 primer
over all 2.810

thanks
</div></div>

I doubt it but it is safest practice to work up to a desired load.

For reference, I shoot 178gr a-maxes over 45.3gr of varget in federal brass (largish case capacity amongst .308 brass) with CCI 200 primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a question , im new to reloading and i loaded up three 5 rd sets of hornaday 168gr bthp ,

details
winchester brass
case length 2.005
fed 210 primer
over all 2.810

thanks
</div></div>

Hornady give 44gr as their max load whereas Hogdgon give theirs as 46. For you as a new reloader your starting loads shouldn't be near max to start out with. Be safe and go with a starting load in the middle of the range, say 41 or 42 grains and then work up to max loads. (By all means keep the ones you've loaded but just load some up at the lower charge to shoot first).

While primers will make a difference in powder charge I find that it is case capacity that really dictates powder charge.

I have approximated M118LR with some different combinations:

Win brass
44.0gr Varget
175SMK or 178AMAX
CCI200
COAL 2.805

LC Match brass
42.8gr Varget
175SMK or 178AMAX
CCI 200
COAL 2.805

LC Match Brass
42.5gr Varget
175SMK
CCI 200
COAL 2.785

All of the above loads perform nearly identically in a variety of rifles (Steyr, Remington, Noveske, SCAR-H). They match the velocity and possibly exceed the accuracy potential of the lot of M118LR that I have and also FGMM 7.62x51 (not .308) 175SMK factory load.

All of my above loads use a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. Look at the FGMM and M118LR - pull a bullet or two - the bullets are all crimped in place - and glued/sealed as well.

My experience shows that if a rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy then it will shoot the above loads sub-MOA.

anyone have a starting load for hornady 150gr sp ?

i know starting loads are just that starting loads but being new at this i ask so not to waist time money on the very bottom load in a book but more to others exp and a better starting point

as of now all i have is varget powder , fed primers , and winchester brass

any load data would be great , or if some one has a link to a site with load data i could refrence that would be great as well

thanks
chip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have a starting load for hornady 150gr sp ?

i know starting loads are just that starting loads but being new at this i ask so not to waist time money on the very bottom load in a book but more to others exp and a better starting point

as of now all i have is varget powder , fed primers , and winchester brass

any load data would be great , or if some one has a link to a site with load data i could refrence that would be great as well

thanks
chip </div></div>

Hornady state 35.9gr start and 44.9gr Max for 150 - 155gr bullets with Varget.

If it was me I'd start at 41 / 42 and work from there. If you are new to this by all means start lower and work up watching for pressure signs.

ok

i kinda started in the middle ,, i just loaded 15 rds

hornady 150gr soft point
winchester brass cut to 2.005
fed 210 primer
varget 43.1gr , 43.4gr , & 43.7gr (five of each )
over all length 2.735
run out was .001 - .004

to hot to start?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a question , im new to reloading and i loaded up three 5 rd sets of hornaday 168gr bthp ,

details
winchester brass
case length 2.005
fed 210 primer
over all 2.810

thanks
</div></div>

Hornady give 44gr as their max load whereas Hogdgon give theirs as 46. For you as a new reloader your starting loads shouldn't be near max to start out with. Be safe and go with a starting load in the middle of the range, say 41 or 42 grains and then work up to max loads. (By all means keep the ones you've loaded but just load some up at the lower charge to shoot first).</div></div> What he said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

LC Match Brass
42.5gr Varget
175SMK
CCI 200
COAL 2.785

All of my above loads use a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. Look at the FGMM and M118LR - pull a bullet or two - the bullets are all crimped in place - and glued/sealed as well.

</div></div>

Your load above is very close to what I'm using. I'm still tweaking my load since I've switched from 168 grain boolitz to 178 amaxes, but am running 42.2 grains of Varget with a Fed 210 in LC68 Standard cases.(700 Rem VSSF) I hope to verify my dope today and run the load over a chronograph. Just curious as to why you are crimping, since the bullets don't have a crimp groove, and it may be detrimental to accuracy? Also, do the 175/178's shoot to same POI? I found the 168 amax/MK/CC to be reasonably close POI at closer ranges, but at longer distances the difference in BC took over and POI varied.

42.5 grains will stay supersonic at 1K with a 178 smk.

We've found that lower charges shoot better at 1K as long as they stay supersonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a question , im new to reloading and i loaded up three 5 rd sets of hornaday 168gr bthp ,

details
winchester brass
case length 2.005
fed 210 primer
over all 2.810

thanks
</div></div>

Hornady give 44gr as their max load whereas Hogdgon give theirs as 46. For you as a new reloader your starting loads shouldn't be near max to start out with. Be safe and go with a starting load in the middle of the range, say 41 or 42 grains and then work up to max loads. (By all means keep the ones you've loaded but just load some up at the lower charge to shoot first). </div></div>

ok well after reading a few other posts , i pulled the loads i set up and lowered the gr in them now they are running 42.5, 43, and 43.5 ill start ther and go up

thanks