• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My 4-16x50mm Vortex PST showed up yesterday

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    My mil/mil PST arrived safely yesterday afternoon. I was able to mount it up on my SPS-T and take it to the range this morning.

The scope zeroed perfectly fine, and my rudimentary tracking test consisted of running the elevation knob up and down between each shot of a 100 meter group. My 5-shots were around 1/2 MOA (normal) with no POI shift. I also ran my rifle out to 500 meters and back with nothing exciting to report. Now that Jon A. has us all paranoid about mechanical accuracy however, I'll probably follow up with a yard stick test of some sort.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Likes:</span></span>

1. Decent glass with no stains, spots, or QC issues. On 16x, images do appear less than razor-sharp, but I am spoiled by high-end scopes. We did have a 3-9x Super Sniper on hand for comparison, and the PST was significantly better.

2. I love, love the reticle. Vortex did a very nice job with this MRAD reticle.

3. No complaints about the illumination knob or the parallax. Both worked as advertised.

4. The graduation window on the knobs; I'm warming up fast to this feature. It makes it super easy to see.

5. The small details; the zero-stop shims, unique knurling on the knobs, and smooth mag ring rotation are all nice touches, and I'm sure not by accident.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Dislikes:</span></span>

1. The turrets do feel too loose. They have the distinctness and rotational spacing of Nightforce knobs, but require about 75% less torque to rotate.

2. The eye-box / eye-relief is sensitive. I was hoping it would be more forgiving considering that Vortex had commented at SHOT on how the PSTs received a new and improved design.

Overall, I am very satisfied. I won't say I'm pleasantly surprised, but I made no mistake about my expectations for an $850 scope. I'm keeping this one, and I believe it will serve me well on this particular rifle.

(<span style="font-style: italic">Remington SPS-T, Nightforce 20 MOA base, TPS ultra-low rings, B&C Light Tactical stock</span>)
    Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Re: My 4-16x50mm Vortex PST showed up yesterday

Man the wait is killing me! Very Nice sir, very nice.

Looks perfect on that rifle!

Mike

+1 on the reticle, I love,love it too. the only thing I might change on it is to make the center open, just barely, so a guy could make out either a distant P poodle, or a Birchwood Casey @ 600yds.

It looks great on your rifle. I'm looking forward to anymore info you have after you get some time behind it.

Mike @ CST

very nice pictures. They really give you a good visualization of the scope.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much elevation are you getting from a 100m zero? </div></div>
    With this 20 MOA base, my elevation knob stops at +16.5 mils from my 100 meter zero with 175g SMKs.

That should leave about 6 mils to spare for 1000 yds. Great pics. Thanks for the review.

Very nice write up sir. I am eagerly awaiting the funds in savings. What height rings did you go with?

Great pictures and write up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice write up sir. I am eagerly awaiting the funds in savings. What height rings did you go with? </div></div>

I decided on TPS TSR Super Low rings, in 7075 aluminum. I got mine at SWFA.