• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report My 5r at 100 yards

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
This is what my slightly modified 5r will do at 100 yards. Off of a bipod and no rear bag.

IMAG0078.jpg

This is a 5 shot group using Federal brass and a 175smk over 43.5grns of RL15

IMAG0079.jpg

This is a 10 shot group also using Federal brass and a 168smk over 43.1grns of rl15

So, as you can see it really likes the 175smk's better but the 168's didn't do to shabby.

Re: My 5r at 100 yards

Don't put all your faith in one load test. Both are shooting awesome! The 10 shot string is harder to hold together than a 5. Try them again with 2-3 5 shot groups each and average.

My 5r averages around .75 moa with 178 a max's prone off my bi pod. I've never shot it in a vice to see what it can really do. I'm pretty sure alot better than me

Great shooting by the way

More than proving anything about 175 vs 168 your experiment nicely demonstrated statistics. 10 shots provided a larger sample thus collection more of the outside variances.

I think if you shot 10 rounds on the 175 you would see nearly the very same distribution.

Nice shooting with your 5R! Would suggest you try using a rear bag for shooting groups in the future. This will likely help improve repeatable accuracy and tighten up your groups.

Excellent groups, especially for having used no rear bag. That will probably stabilize things up a lot.

Those 5R's are some great rifles, from what I've seen. Good value. I've been shooting mine for about 2 years and it's been a real shooter. Wouldn't be surprised if you could get it to do even a little better as you continue to modify/tweak/perfect your recipe.

mine shoots real well also
barrell cut and recrown @ 20"
trigger tuned
sightron siii 6-24 mildot
harris bipod

future:
timney or jewel trigger
cerrakote or other paint job

way future:
douglas, krieger, shillen, or rock barrell
action blueprinted and trued
nightforce or vortex glass

Nice shooting.

I have a 5R as well. It's completely stock. It shoots .5 to .7 pretty consistant. The smallest I have shot to date is .313.
All 5 shots @100.

I run the 175smk and 175bergers in LC LR brass. 43g of varget.

I second the comment on using a rear bag. It should help a bunch.

KT

I hope my 5R shoots as well. Still breaking it in. Can't decide on scope either w/ limited funds.

THUD I'd point you toward the Bushnell GAP HDMR. The guys at Bushnell teamed up with George at GAP and came up with one Hell of an optic at a great price, especially if you get in on the GB. With GAP putting its name to it you cant help but trust the quality and craftsmanship I think there are less than 10 scopes left so hurry. I've comments such as "The only piece of glass I have better than this is my Heinszoldt (sp?)" Definately worth a look for the budget shooter!

OP,

Your rifle will always shoot a bullet in the direction the barrel is pointed. That means, unless the rifle is broken, if you properly point the rifle, using consistent sight alignment, and, pull the trigger without disturbing aim, utilizing smooth trigger control, you can expect zero dispersion, especially at the sort of distance you're shooting to, where wind and weather effects are limited. I would submit to you the reason you are not now shooting zero dispersion, at such a short distance where hits can come almost intuitively, is you have not yet realized consistent control of the rifle shot to shot, and/or have not maintained an eyeball/eyepiece relationship shot to shot.

All,

Some here have suggested to the OP that better results will come from the addition of a rear bag support. It is possible that better results could come about; but, it is also possible that the rear bag could undermine results. This is because the bag only serves a low gun position. And, since the shooter should always bring the stock to the head, rather than head to stock, to assure a correct relationship with the gun and the ground, it could be that a rear bag would force the position. This, of course, would preclude muscular relaxation; and, therefore, compromise an understanding for NPA leading to obvious consequences. BTW, maintaining a consistent butt to shoulder relationship without artificial support is easy when the stock is brought to the head and the butt placed thereafter in the pocket formed in the shoulder.

OP,

Don't let the scope and bipod deceive you, that's to say, make you think that since you have shot small groups at 100 yards in conditions you are directing that you know how to shoot. Try shooting at distances where the angular error produced by your inconsistent position and sight alignment will be fully unmasked, as well as the effects of not properly countering for wind and weather.Then, you'll have a better reality for where you really are in your quest of good shooting.

One more thing, the 168 grain bullet produces a lot less recoil than the 175, and therefore, it is possible to shoot it and maintain more consistent angularity shot to shot from the bore at rest and line of departure than when shooting the 175. Only at distances beyond 600 yards would the 175's higher B.C. effect a better outcome than possible with a 168.

Also, please don't think I'm dog-gin' ya. It's your groups which suggest you could benefit from some advice in the matters of marksmanship. I hope that you may benefit from what little I've surmised about your performance.

I've been shooting my 5-R for a couple of years now and it's a great rifle. I scoped mine somewhat inexpensive with a Barska 10-40X50 SWAT on a G-Force mount. About $400 total.

300 yard groups are regularly in the 3/4-1" category with 175gr Nosler Custom Comp, also shooting from bipod and no rear bag.

Only modification to the rifle proper was the change from the Remington X-Mark Pro trigger to a Timney. The Rem. trigger was OK, just hated the adjusting screw rubbing on the top of my trigger finger. After 100 rounds or so it hurt.

My rifle seems to shoot everything from 165-175 gr bullets with great accuracy over a speed range of 2500fps to 2700fps. I just have to keep doing my part.