• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My AFFORDABLE Competition Gear (suggestions?)

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going through the process of "upgrading" my shooting gear so I can get into tactical long range shooting competition. However I just cannot afford the absolute top-of-the-line gear.

This is my <span style="font-style: italic">maximum</span> affordable list. No 2nd mortgage!

RIFLE> (owned now) HS Precision .300 win mag W/ M 24 type non-adjustable stock. (No change here this year but later an adjustable stock chassis like Rem. XM 2010.)

SPOTTING SCOPE> (owned now) Leupold 12 to 40 x 60 mm. (No change here.)

RANGEFINDER> <span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell Fusion 1600 binoculars</span> Very close to pulling the trigger on this. (Have broken Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 LRF ret'd to Bushnell for repair last week.)

RIFLE SCOPE> <span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell HMDR W/H59 reticle </span>(Have Burris Black Diamond W/ 2nd focal plane mil <span style="font-weight: bold">dot</span> reticle and MOA clicks
frown.gif
)

FIRING SOLUTION CALCULATOR> <span style="font-weight: bold">Horus/Kestrel 4500 </span>Fast to use and contains most needed data/sensors. (Have Mildot Master & Horus ASLI angle indicator - hey, it works.)

Any glaring weaknesses here? <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

Re: My AFFORDABLE Competition Gear (suggestions?)

I would skip the Horus put money into scope you will want a Ffp scope, look at Zeiss prf1300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bama, why would you opt for ffp instead of krestel? </div></div>

It's a bit easier to ask someone for their atmospheric data than to ask them if you can use their scope...
At least at the casual competitions that I've been too (which mostly *haven't* been precision, so ymmv) people are usually very willing to help someone out. I won't be getting a kestrel for a while, it's pretty low on my "must have" list.

Bama,

1. The Bushnell HMD W/ Horus 59 IS a FFP reticle.

2. Since I need a "weather meter" the Horus/Kestrel 4500 checks all the boxes for data and gives me the firing solution. This little unit is amazing.

Bushnell's gear I've listed (HDMR scope and Fusion 1600 LRF binos) is pretty high quality and excellent technology from all the postings I've read.

Nearly the exact same equipment that I have ran in a butt load of comps with luck. Love the HDMR/59 combo and the Kestrel horus has became a don't leave home without item. For the money, nothing touches the 1600 as well.

I think you have just about everything covered there. I'm still a bit old school running seperate bino/range finders and weather meter/palm pilot. Having these functions built into their own unit will save on space. For your spotting scope, I'd recommend one with a reticle such as the TMR or the P4 so you can range with it if needed though. Best of luck to ya.

Geb

I don't have a whole lot of experience with it yet but the free Strelok app on my Droid seems really cool. It has a lot of reticles loaded in it and will map them out if you input your load info. Has a nice wind direction shot placement option also.

Here is an example with the Bushnell G2DMR ret

G2DMRBushell-1.jpg

This is setup for 308 175 SMK running at 2600fps with a full value 12mph wind at 824yds based on a 100yd zero.

It will also display scope adjustments in clicks for dialing the turrets.

The pink numbers are for changing wind values. I need to get out and test/tune it for my rifle. Hard to beat free if it works well out to 600 or better. Might be nice to have this for the reticle mapping and something like Shooter for really long range. I hear that Shooter is really accurate with good input, haven't heard as much feedback about Strelok.

I also recommend <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">Adaptive's FDAC slide</span> <Link from Hide member sosicmcise

Adaptive+Consutling+and+Training+FDAC.jpg

One is free for your phone, the other doesn't cost much and does not require batteries.

Thanks for the input guys. What I'm getting is still a bit "spendy" but my retirement income will cover it. I live in 'Vegas but don't smoke, gamble or drink (except for a few fine craft beers now and then) so I have the costs covered. Now if my wife would just quit getting us on tropical cruises there's a TRG 10...

I just needed to know that my choices for new gear were reasonable for the $$ spent and you guys confirmed it.
If my wife finds out how much I spent I'll tell her you all told me to. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

REDIRT> Nice 'Droid app.! I'll look into the FDAC slide.

Okay, I already did a search but can't find it, so now I'll ask for help.... The streloc app for the G2 rectical is it under a different name for IPhone? I would really like to try that...

I don't think Streloc is available for iphone. Perhaps try shooter or Ballistic FTE ? I used Ballistic FTE (both cost I think), and it works really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I already did a search but can't find it, so now I'll ask for help.... The streloc app for the G2 rectical is it under a different name for IPhone? I would really like to try that... </div></div>

It's called istrelok for the iPhone version.

If you are looking to save money, there are plenty of things you can do:

1. Change out the 300WM for a more economical cartridge. A 243WIN for example would have less recoil, longer barrel life, be cheaper to feed. There are plenty of other choices in the 6mm and 6.5mm category: 6XC, 6.5x47L, 6.5CM, 260REM, etc. I bet you'd perform better with any of these cartridges due to the much reduced recoil.
2. Get a dedicated range-finder rather than the combo bino/RF. Not sure you need a bino for most matches. But if you do, it's cheaper to carry a plain old bino and rangefinder.
3. There are plenty of scopes in the $400-$500 range that are more than adequate for your purposes. You don't need an expensive scope to get started. Weaver, Sightron, Nikon come to mind. $1500 for a Bushnell scope? That is a waste of money IMHO. You should be looking at a Nightforce or Leupold if you are going to spend that kind of money. Give Sightrons a good look: less expensive than NF with rave reviews from match shooters.

I know this will probably shake some trees and create some debate...but if you think you might have some talent, do not want to be held back by your equipment, and are serious about doing this on a reasonable budget (and doing it right the first time) then recommend you consider below suggestions.

1. Drop the laser rangefinder/binos. In my humble opinion, no decent match worth shooting will require you to have a Laser RF. I won't shoot a match that allows folks to use them as it does nothing to promote honest marksmanship skill (in my opinion). Get a good scope and learn how to use the calibrated reticule to estimate range. If you want to have a backup besides your scope for range finding, get a good monocular or binocular that has a calibrated reticule for range finding.
2. Drop the Kestrel 4500/HORUS. Better to learn how to estimate wind speed and read mirage, and there are better/cheaper ways to get ballistics data. The day before a match, I go to weather.com to get the weather prediction for the area I will be shooting. Then I plug that data into the online JBM Ballistics Calculator. I printout a single page that I fold and tuck into my Arm Coach that contains all the data I need for my firing solutions. I pay attention to local conditions during the match, and listen to guys who have kestrels, this provides any last minute "as-occurring" weather changes needed
grin.gif
. Another idea is to use a good Ballistics App combined with a smartphone.
3. Suggest you review your scope setup to make sure you will happy with it for competition/speed work. I see you you have FFP, which is a good thing. Just not sure it's a good idea to mix standards between turret adjustments and your reticule. In my experience keeping these standards the same (MIL/MIL, or MOA/MOA) will produce better match results. Keeping things simple and consistent is best practice so you don't need to do any conversions in your head between what your reticule calibration is telling you and what you are dialing with your turrets for elevation correction. Just something to consider.
4. See what Scooter-Pie said about choosing proper caliber in his post above. He hit it on the head. A .300WM might sound like a cool caliber, but not so much for shooting the majority of tactical matches. The key here is to be able to maintain your sight picture to spot and call your bullet impact so you can make adjustments, if needed, for follow-up shots. Believe a .300WM is too much gun to perform these functions reliably under any circumstances. You can start out using the .300WM you already have, but my guess is before one year is up you will be seriosly looking to downsize/righsize the caliber you are using.

I know some guys will laugh at the above suggestions. But, having all the latest and greatest technology (i.e. Laser RF, and Windmeter/Ballistics Calc) is not really needed to start shooting competitions, and is not recommended if you are just starting out and want to keep spending down. There are better things to spend your shooting budget on (i.e. ammo, other gear). However, these comments are just based on what I have seen and experienced. So, go have some fun and be safe out there
cool.gif
!

There is a reason you don't see a lot of top competitors running .300WM

If you are serious about competition (that means actually trying to win) then you really need to look at .243, .260 or 6.5CM.

I didn't realize what I was missing until I ran the .243 in a match.

Compare the ballistics and then remember that most stages are timed, so recoil recovery is BIG deal. Especially so when shooting from a barricade, offhand or a wacked out position.

For the HDMR, I suggest forgetting the Horus reticle and getting the G2. It will save you some cash and it's a less cluttered reticle.

I don't generally take a spotter to tactical competitions unless they are a team format.

The Horus/Kestrel should work fine. I prefer to use my Kestrel and input the data into Bulletflight in my iPhone. I feel it's more flexible that way.

Shredder and LoneWolf have really good advice. I'm no pro shooter and have been competing less than a year but the things they mention are things I'm working to apply. I've learned several things so far and making certain changes to accomodate less gear and less movement. This mainly comes from my own few experiences and watching others. I consider myself a fast learner and do not believe in trying this and trying that. Find quickly what works so you are not blowing a ton of money on nonsense.

I chose my reticle flavor and bought the best glass money could buy with it so I could use it effectively. I know money is tight for folks but I saved up. Buy once cry once. Now, I'm learning to use the optic and compete without even touching the dials.......ever. Zero and use the holdovers. This is why reticle choice is very important. In the matches I've been shooting, I don't have time to jack with windage and elevation adjustments. Yes, the G2 reticle is nice but my flavor is horus 58/59. Different strokes for different folks. The point, find what you like and learn how to use it in a FAST paced environment including ranging targets. I have a shooting partner and we have talked about going out and spending the day just practicing ranging with the reticle and nothing else. It's good practice. I will borrow someones rangefinder to confirm my practice skills ... lol

I started with a .308 and quickly learned that yes.....it can be shot effectively but I am now building a 6.5 creedmoor to replace it as a comp gun. That caliber is a flat shooter and not effected very much by wind. Also, the right setup will have minimal recoil. Any comp that requires me to go beyond the range of a creedmoor, I will unpack the .338 Lapua.

So far the only tool I have for weather and ballistics is an iphone app called Shooter. It's not deadly accurate but will get you close enough to dope your rifle effectively. The rest of it comes from learning things that have already been mentioned like mirage, feeling the wind at your back...ect...ect...

Ounces equals pounds and pounds equals pain. Get rid of the tools you don't need and learn how to shoot without them.

All good suggestions, my biggest suggestion a small backpack like a Camelbak MULE, having a large pack means you'll lug useless shit around, I carry all my ammo in FGMM plastic carriers, the Fusion Binos rock, but are big, a nice small rangefinder like a Swarovski is in the same price range, and works good, my Leicas simply suck balls, in the bright summer sun nothing past 800 can be ranged, add a dump pouch, and have fun.

The main reason I dislike the Horus reticles is they have so much going on that you can start to loose targets in the reticle. This is especially true if you need to dial down the magnification and holdover. Now it may not be an issue on a freshly painted white target. But once you get down in the shooting order, that target may be dark grey.

Definitely make sure you can use one before you pay the premium for it. I have been behind quite a few different reticles. I still have not found one I like better than the EBR-2 in my Razor.

A small pack is spot on, but one of the best investments I have made is the Eberlestock X3. I can carry all the crap I need for shooting, rifle and hydration system on my back leaving my hands free for climbing and sometimes falling. It's expensive, but one of the cheaper packs in the Eberlestock line.

LoneWolf, I really like the Razor and EBR-2. I'm still fairly new at this and never knew that reticle even existed. I may think about picking one of those up for my new build.

And the Eberlestock X3 is the next thing on my list of purchases. I've seen them around the matches and didn't know what they were called. Thanks for clearing that up for me
smile.gif

OK time to explain my choices: Thanks for all the advice. I'm on a budget but not hurting by any means.

1.) .300 WM> I already have a stainless HS Precision barreled Rem. long action in .300 WM (My only smaller caliber rifles are a Savage 99 C lever action in .308 and a Steyr AUG in 5.56) I'm prepared to load rounds and bear the cost and recoil. I have the reloading gear and experience.

2.) LEUPOLD 12x-40x spotting scope> had it since the early '90s

3.) Fusion 1600, 10X40 LRF binos> want to learn range estimation and use on elk hunts as dual purpose tool. (I DO own a MilDot Master too and have used it for groundhog hunting successfully W/the mildot reticle in my Burris Black Diamond scope.)

4.) Horus/Kestrel 4500 NV> seems a fast way to get a good firing solution and check my own estimates. Another learning tool.

5.) BUSHNELL HDMR H59> Studied the Horus reticle system and feel I would make far fewer mistakes using the Horus reticle than "turning kobs". Faster too.

6.) Camelbak Commander PACK> Already own it for backcountry skiing. Perfect size for range gear and can be compressed or expanded as needed. Sized like & looks like the Eberlestock X3.

Some here recommend the Bushnell HDMR W/ H59 reticle.
Some here recommend the Horus/Kestrel 4500.
Only the Fusion 1600 LRF binos are in question by most here. It can wait. I do have excellent Pentax DCF-SP 8X42 binoculars.

BUT... just found out from Bushnell that my old Yardage Pro 1000 rangefinder is "beyond repair" so I can't pass up the great discount they offered me on the 1600 binos B/C I need a rangefinder. Next year before elk season I'll likely get one.

You've got the 300WM,so it makes perfect sense to go use it. However, if you shoot enough comps with it to burn the barrel out, I'm pretty sure you'll be looking for a different cartridge for the next barrel.

I haven't had a chance to compete yet. I see a lot of competition don't allow laser range finders. If you get lrf binos you could potentially not be allowed to use your binos. Just something else to consider.