• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My AI also came to my FFL today but....

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I got a delay.... first time ever. . What it going on at the BATFE right now?

Maybe ite because i didnt put my SS number , but I never have before without any issue. Are they just slammed with gun sales right now? I hated giving that rifle back tot he child that works there to throw in their overnight safe and bang up.

Friend w/ shop at the old outlet mall says they're getting a lot more delays than usual.

I got a delay.... first time ever. . What it going on at the BATFE right now?

Maybe ite because i didnt put my SS number , but I never have before without any issue. Are they just slammed with gun sales right now? I hated giving that rifle back tot he child that works there to throw in their overnight safe and bang up.
I think NCIS is just overwhelmed. I got a 2 hour delay for the first time ever last month.

Eb2qMnRX0AE-cDz.jpg

Reactions: shoobe01
If you've got a popular name it helps to put your social. You can also file for a unique number (not a social) and you can add it to your forms in the future. I forget what the number is called but it is listed on the form you process for your background. Also look into a CHL depending on the state you live in, it greatly speeds things up.

That sucks..... I've been delayed before, 3 days waiting is a long time.

Last edited:
Picked up my Archimedes yesterday here in central FL. Same situation. Check system is simply backed up. Took 6 hours to get a confirmation number.

If you've got a popular name it helps to put your social. You can also file for a unique number (not a social) and you can add it to your forms in the future. I forget what the number is called but it is listed on the form you process for your background. Also look into a CHL depending on the state you live in, it greatly speeds things up.

UPIN or Unique Personal Identification Number. Any FFL should have the information, as the ATF gives FFLs a handful of resources for situations like this. When I worked firearms retail we had pamphlets to give people who got denied, with instructions on appealing and/or applying for a UPIN.

UPIN or Unique Personal Identification Number. Any FFL should have the information, as the ATF gives FFLs a handful of resources for situations like this. When I worked firearms retail we had pamphlets to give people who got denied, with instructions on appealing and/or applying for a UPIN.

I thought about this, but upon reading the directions its just as big of a pain in the ass if not more, plus its one more number the gov has on your floating around.

Ill try my SS# next time and see if that helps. Just ticks me off when the gentlemen in front of me were Arabic and had a long Arabic name and they got proceeded without issue and then I go up there being a federal employee and having numerous background checks, get delayed....

This country is going Ass backwards

Reactions: Secundus
I thought about this, but upon reading the directions its just as big of a pain in the ass if not more, plus its one more number the gov has on your floating around.

Ill try my SS# next time and see if that helps. Just ticks me off when the gentlemen in front of me were Arabic and had a long Arabic name and they got proceeded without issue and then I go up there being a federal employee and having numerous background checks, get delayed....

This country is going Ass backwards
Lol! Try having an SCI clearance for the last 25+ years, and then listening to some LEO lecture you on them needing to know if someone is trustworthy enough to own a firearm. Nevermind the countless other firearms that I own...

Even the TSA agent rolled her eyes at me (TSA Pre-Check), when she asked if I had a clearance and what level. When she found out she just rolled her eyes and said "Yep, you'll be certified by tomorrow." and just shook her head at the idiocy of government bureaucracy.

I went thru a time when, though not ever delayed, the FFL had to be transferred to a supervisor (FBI?) and that "supervisor" always approved while still on the line. It was not clear to me why until a couple years later. I sold my house and the closing attorney handed me an affidavit to sign. It basically was attesting that I was not the guy with my same name that owed the IRS $96,000 in back taxes.
Used to be that way in Bama until the Sheriffs, fucked it up,...
It was, to be fair, only TWO counties that caused the backtrack on no NICS for AL gun buyers. Those two counties were Jefferson (Post Mike Hale) and Mobile.
ALL other sheriffs were in compliance and, even though Federal laws were violated by certain employees of those SO's, the people who caused the issue were not prosecuted. I'm sure that is a surprise to you. :rolleyes:

Lol! Try having an SCI clearance for the last 25+ years, and then listening to some LEO lecture you on them needing to know if someone is trustworthy enough to own a firearm. Nevermind the countless other firearms that I own...

Even the TSA agent rolled her eyes at me (TSA Pre-Check), when she asked if I had a clearance and what level. When she found out she just rolled her eyes and said "Yep, you'll be certified by tomorrow." and just shook her head at the idiocy of government bureaucracy.

F72B73DA-20F9-43F3-A90D-20FC9CF5BD4C.gif

Just wait until you get denied...unjustly. It took months and my Congressmen to get this straightened out...without a clear explanation as to why I was denied. What's that?...they have to tell you why you were denied...yeah, it was a form letter regurgitating the 4473 saying you were denied for one of the following reasons...you are a convicted felon, you were adjudicated mentally defective, you are not a citizen, you were convicted of domestic violence, you were dishonorably discharged, and so on down the list. Honorable discharge and still had a valid TS clearance. After months, all I received was a letter saying I was cleared to complete my purchase...of a 1910/21 Rustkamer pistol.

Reactions: deersniper
record number of sales with regards to the Defund the Police,

Mike @ MHSA did my background as usual, took since Monday to complete because the backlog is huge right now.

Record sales, means record waits

Reactions: MarinePMI
The shop I work at has seen almost DOUBLE the number of delays in the last 60 days vs. the same 60 days last year. Like lowlight said- more sales=more delays. What is really concerning to me is the number of DENIES we are getting back. As buffalowinter stated, its a bitch to get those fixed, and we've had several come back in the last two weeks that I'm quite confident are mistakes. One dude has a CHL from another state, another is a close friend, and a third was a Sheriff's Deputy (let the jokes roll on that one lol). We've had several others that I'd bet were mistakes, but I don't know the people personally. There is no Brady Law on denies either, so it's not as simple as waiting them out.

Picking up a new FN pistol in a couple of weeks, not looking forward to the delay, which I'm sure will happen. I've always thought these background checks are bullshit to exercise my rights. Should be cash and carry like before that cocksucker LBJ pushed through the gun control act of '68.

I always put my SS on the form ever since I was delayed 20 years ago. Dealer said their is probably a bad guy with my exact name and date of birth somewhere. Haven't had a delay since I started doing that.

Record number of transfers, sales are through the roof, best year since Obama era.
With that NICS has already stated that due to the increased volume and short staffed cause of covid any delay or added time to research a background check will result in a delay.
A license to carry will avoid most of these issues, our LTC classes have been crazy packed with scares coming from all angles, Covid, protest, riots.

record number of sales with regards to the Defund the Police,

Mike @ MHSA did my background as usual, took since Monday to complete because the backlog is huge right now.

Record sales, means record waits
So your saying George Floyd is gonna sale more guns than Barack obummer😂😂

A bunch of delays here in VA today. I dropped through the LGS to grab FFF and caps, and almost everyone was getting delayed. I also got chided about how you aren’t allowed to make explosives out of black powder, three times. I’m just going to carry my sharps in with me next time.

I picked up at EuroOptic on Saturday, Picked up at a local shop today no delays or wait. I never give SS#, too ripe for misuse.

I remember one time I was delayed, bitching about it at a local FFL. I had an old boy say to me, I've got a license to buy dynamite, and I get delayed too........

I used to get delayed every once in a while. I do not have a common name. It stopped when I started using my full middle name Instead of just the initial.

Your tax dollars hard at work to ensure that government systems operate at a level representing the very best of the 1980s and 1990s. Well, not the best, but more like a company that could turn itself around, maybe not go out of business with some major changes. Surely you're not displeased by yesteryear's (mediocre) performance reminding you of how good we have it now?

From ATF - " A "Delayed" response to the FFL indicates that the firearm transfer should not proceed pending receipt of a follow-up "Proceed" response from the NICS or the expiration of three business days (exclusive of the day on which the query is made), whichever occurs first."

Friend w/ local shop has had a few come back denied after 3 day period/buyer picked up. Buyers had to return or risk ATF coming to get it. Of course shop gets stuck w/ a used gun in the case of new sale.

So still no word. 3 business days was up yesterday. From my understanding, I can now just go get it unless there is a deny. Anyone ever done this?
Some shops will hold till you get a proceed.

Wait till you get a erroneously denied

F the ATF

you got a delay, dude trying being born in Australia and coming to USA ... when i was green card 100% delay ... i told my citizenship investigator i cant wait to get us citizenship so i dont get delays on my 4473 -- she laughed, i got citizenship since then -in 80 forms, 1 delay.

Update: I purchased a P30L and only was delayed for 1 day this time however I was informed that you are now assigned a date you can pick it up without a proceed. Its like a review date. The 3 day period is no longer valid. I have heard some are up to a month. Like what Deesniper said.

I live in Kansas, the FFL's have the option not to do the NCIS check if you have a CCW, and I choose to do my business with a shop that exercises that option........

In my experience, once you are delayed, you will always be delayed. As an FFL, there is never a reason given. Last delay I had for a customer was approved in about an hour. Here in Texas, at least CHL/LTC‘s are NICS ”free”. Lots of new gun owners are learning a valuable lesson about firearms ownership.

Update: I purchased a P30L and only was delayed for 1 day this time however I was informed that you are now assigned a date you can pick it up without a proceed. Its like a review date. The 3 day period is no longer valid. I have heard some are up to a month. Like what Deesniper said.

Is this the gun store's policy or ATF making up new regulations on the fly? Because I thought the law stated after 3 days of no response, the dealer may release the gun to the purchaser.