• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My almost complete rifle build. Remington SPS

WarWolf

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
A few months back I asked a ton of questions and received some really good answers. I thought I would post the rifle that I ended up with. I only had 1300 to spend so I needed to be as cheap as possible, but wanted to end up with a quality rifle.

I started with the remington 700 SPS varmint. Walked into a local cabela's and they had one for $550, so couldn't pass it up. Being a Remington owner I was already familiar with the 700. I am sure other rifles are just as good or better, but they feel awkward in my hands. I thought it was an okay rifle to begin with, but hated the plastic stock.

I ordered a Bell and Carlson light tactical medalist type 3. It has a hook on the rear of the stock and actually works rather good for securing the rear of the stock. I usually hook my left hand in it while shooting and keep the front of the rifle steady with the bi-pod.

I couldn't choose what scope I wanted. I searched far and wide and finally decided on the falcon menace. It may have a checkered past, but a few friends of mine own them and they have proven to be durable. I went with the 5-25x50 model, because who doesn't need more magnification? I am actually surprised on how clear the scope is. On hot days I have to back off the magnification to 15ish, but I have a mark 4 that needed the same adjustment. It has Mil/Mil turrets and the BL20 reticle. The reticle is similar to the horus H58. The scope box tracked amazingly well and has stayed zeroed for almost 8 months.

I purchased the scope from SWFA and decided to get their tactical rings. They seem to be good quality, but I am sure there are better options. However they fit my budget and hold the scope securely. I also ordered a 20moa weaver base. I had to bed the rear of the base with some epoxy, but it works just fine.

I also needed a bi-pod. I have two harris bi-pods, but wanted a new one for the build. Because I was on a budget I walked into walmart and found a Blackhawk traverse bi-pod for $40 on sale. It is completely adjustable and don't really see a big difference when using a harris, verses the blackhawk. In fact the blackhawk accepts the aftermarket feet for the Harris. It also comes with a pivot lock that is very easy to use (an aftermarket feature for Harris).

Overall I am rather happy with how my budget build turned out. It may not be a custom build sporting a $3000 optic, but it serves its purpose and has been a very good tool to learn the art of long range shooting.

Picture of the rifle before the bipod and sling.

My favorite shooting spot. (My Dads backyard)

A few groups from the first day of shooting. This is with 175 grain Gold medal match at 100 yards.

More horrible groups.

My four shot groups always seem to have one flyer. I need more practice!

This is actually a three shot group. The first two shots punched the same hole. Then as luck would have it, I pulled the third.

Another shot of my Dads backyard. If you look closely there is a 18x18 steel target at 500 yards. The wind came up and was swirling really weird. It was blowing to the left where we were standing, but going to the right downrange. The falcon really let me see the wind if I had the parallax adjusted too low. I hit the leg on the stand on the first shot, but corrected and hit the target every time after that. With ten shots I had just over a 5" group.

I plan on taking the rifle out to 1000 yards very soon, but deer season is upon me. I am going to pack this heavy rifle around for the season, but I am not really stoked about it, damn thing is heavy. The area I hunt is just like the photos above and it isn't worth sneaking on anything unless it is bedded down in a small gully.

Thanks for taking the time to help me along here. I will post more pictures and opinions on my set up in the future.

looks good...I'm currently on a 700 build but taking my time...budget is about the same and got lucky enough to have a local gun shop have an AT Cost sale for 3 days...Went overboard and walked out with both 700's he had... but one and SPS and the other a tactical for 300 each. I think I came out smelling like a rose since they were both brand new. haha
Can't wait to pull one apart to start maybe next week. How do you like that scope?

The scope is good for the money. The FFP is spot on. I have ranged targets out to 1200 yards fairly easy. Used the math formula and double checked with my Leica rangefinder. It holds zero and has been knocked around a few times in the back of my car. The clicks were really mushy, but stiffened up after I removed the white grease and squirted a little clp in the turrets. It has tracked very well since day one. I have box tested and dialed in for distance and has never lost zero. I paid 447 from SWFA so about half price compared to other FFP scopes. One thing about this scope is that it is HEAVY! Seriously it is like mounting a tank to your rifle. I know a few scopes that falcon made were two piece tubes, but mine is a one piece. Also has a 10 year warranty from falcon. The glass is just as good as a Leupold in my opinion. The glass is made in Japan, and the scope is assembled in the UK. I believe other parts are sourced from china. The crosshairs I have are a little thicker than the cross hairs in the other falcon reticles and there no way I could pick up the other reticles while zoomed all the way out.

If you do have the extra cash I would suggest going with the vortex FFP scope. Seems a little better for precision shooting. I plan on upgrading in the future but only has so much money at the time and wanted to get shooting right away.

The property my dad owns is in Wapato, Wa and borders the Yakama Indian reservation. The spot I am standing in the pic is on the reservation, but is only 50 yards from my parents home. Most people aren't allowed to enter the lands, but both me and my dad have special tags for coyote that last all year that were given to us by the tribe. As long as we keep killing coyotes and dropping them off with the tribes land management division, we get to keep them.

Nice rifle. I like to hear about guys who put together a real shooter without spending a fortune. My first try at an economical build didn't go so well and your stick is making me think I might give it another try. Good shooting.

Nice rifle. I like to hear about guys who put together a real shooter without spending a fortune. My first try at an economical build didn't go so well and your stick is making me think I might give it another try. Good shooting.

Thanks! I am constantly saving up money to upgrade in the future. So far I have purchased a PTG stealth DBM and have the money saved up to buy a rock creek 5r barrel. My smith says he'll do the work needed for 350, so I have to save that up too. I will probably have him true the action while he's at it, so have to add in another 250. So in the long run, I am going to be spending quite a bit of money, however for an initial set up, I think I got away really cheap. Overall I spent around 1200, and bought ammo with the extra 100.

I have also invested in a reloading set up. I bought a hornady progressive, but haven't set it up yet. Still need to buy dies and powder.

very nice setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i too did a budget build over last winter on a rem700. i got the HS precision stock as a gift. after seeing your rig i may get the b&c stock and pass HS down to the next guy doing a budget build. i aslo went swfa for my optic!!!! and it allows me to hit 12x12 plates at 1000 yards. again nice build!!!!!!!!!

very nice setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i too did a budget build over last winter on a rem700. i got the HS precision stock as a gift. after seeing your rig i may get the b&c stock and pass HS down to the next guy doing a budget build. i aslo went swfa for my optic!!!! and it allows me to hit 12x12 plates at 1000 yards. again nice build!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! It was my shot at getting better at long range. I currently own a 300RUM sendero, and had to get rid of my kimber advanced tactical in 300WM. So I figured a cheaper caliber to shoot was a good thing, and a lighter caliber would help with flinching. I also have been shooting a crazy amount of 17HMR (1000 rounds a weekend) and it seems to help me a lot with trigger control and keeping my sight picture after the shot. It transfers over to the 308 fairly well.

Now I just have to get the reloading press set up and start reloading some of the 155 grain VLD's I was given.

What twist rate is your barrel?
Mine is 1/12. Doesn't like 150 or 155gr. .57 inch group at 100 yards with ultramax 168gr reloads and .54 group with federal gold medal match 168gr

What twist rate is your barrel?
Mine is 1/12. Doesn't like 150 or 155gr. .57 inch group at 100 yards with ultramax 168gr reloads and .54 group with federal gold medal match 168gr

It's the 1-12 twist. A friend of mine have me some 155 vld that he loaded and they were all sub Moa. The worst groups I had were with the 180 grain. Also 175 smk's don't print very good 100 yard groups for me, but seem better out at 500 yards and beyond. Best groups were with 168 smk's. I haven't tried 150 grain yet. I'm just getting into reloading and am in the research mode. I really liked the printed data on the 155 vld's but also have some 168vld's if I need. My fiances grandfather was a LR shooter himself and his family gave me all of his reloading stuff. So I have pretty much everything except brass. They threw it away because it was "used".