• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Boomstick

Matthew Peaslee

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2023
Milton, WV
I have an aero precision AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and added a vortex venom 5-25X56 on a one piece 20 MOA vortex base
My second upper is a .308 upper that is built on a standard upper from ar15.com with a 20” ballistic advantage precision match grade barrel. Both uppers have an A2 style flash hider (for now but I have to try and convince the wife why I need to spend money on “stuff for that gun”). I am not a fan of the handguard on the .308 upper may have to change that in the future, but it works for now it is a narrow profile handguard I thought it would be okay because I was saving weight but my big ole hands just dont like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0821(1).jpg
    IMG_0821(1).jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I have an aero precision AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and added a vortex venom 5-25X56 on a one piece 20 MOA vortex base
My second upper is a .308 upper that is built on a standard upper from ar15.com with a 20” ballistic advantage precision match grade barrel. Both uppers have an A2 style flash hider (for now but I have to try and convince the wife why I need to spend money on “stuff for that gun”). I am not a fan of the handguard on the .308 upper may have to change that in the future, but it works for now it is a narrow profile handguard I thought it would be okay because I was saving weight but my big ole hands just dont like it.

You need to move that scope mount back off of the handguard on your Creedmoor.

I may have to get a different mount to get the eye relief I need

You're opening that stock all the way up right? If your stock is set to the longest setting, I'm not sure how you need that much eye relief, unIess you're part giraffe or your slamming your neck all the way forward when shooting.

No I don’t typically open it all the way up I shoot just like I was taught in basic training and as I have shot in the army for 11 years with the tip of my nose on the charging handle

Reactions: Aftermath
No I don’t typically open it all the way up I shoot just like I was taught in basic training and as I have shot in the army for 11 years with the tip of my nose on the charging handle

Gotcha, and that may be your issue with eye relief then.

You can most certainly continue to shoot that way, and get an even more offset mount (I recommend ADM).

However, that style of shooting is not going to lend itself to precision, or at least, the top level of precision you're going to be capable of achieving. You may be a better shooter than me with your nose on the charging handle, but you'll likely be able to be a better shooter than that by learning the more updated and modern ways of precision shooting.

Biggest thing that comes to mind is the extremely short length of pull, heres a good video on the why and how LOP matters:

Second is, the LOP issue is going to usually move your body alignment off-center. Here is a good video about why that is a problem:

Gotcha, and that may be your issue with eye relief then.

You can most certainly continue to shoot that way, and get an even more offset mount (I recommend ADM).

However, that style of shooting is not going to lend itself to precision, or at least, the top level of precision you're going to be capable of achieving. You may be a better shooter than me with your nose on the charging handle, but you'll likely be able to be a better shooter than that by learning the more updated and modern ways of precision shooting.

Biggest thing that comes to mind is the extremely short length of pull, heres a good video on the why and how LOP matters:

Second is, the LOP issue is going to usually move your body alignment off-center. Here is a good video about why that is a problem:

thank you for the info I will check it out and consider it. The way I shoot has always served me well I have always had the same cheek weld no matter what and have never had to think about it if my nose was on the charging handle. I am always up for some suggestions and always take them into consideration if it will make me a better shooter.

thank you for the info I will check it out and consider it. The way I shoot has always served me well I have always had the same cheek weld no matter what and have never had to think about it if my nose was on the charging handle. I am always up for some suggestions and always take them into consideration if it will make me a better shooter.

For sure. Check out Modern Day Sniper as well as the training section on here, which is packed with good info.

Got it moved back I definitely have to extend the stock with this one but not with the diamondback on my .308 upper 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• EC6DAB63-4077-46F1-8EDE-AE3D15FB0A37.jpeg
    EC6DAB63-4077-46F1-8EDE-AE3D15FB0A37.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 55
As stated above, the reason for nose to charging handle is for proper eye relief for irons and ACOGs. It serves no purpose with modern optics and will also increase your risk for nose cancer as you will get more gases directed back into your nose.

As stated above, the reason for nose to charging handle is for proper eye relief for irons and ACOGs. It serves no purpose with modern optics and will also increase your risk for nose cancer as you will get more gases directed back into your nose.

Don't be this guy and get nose cancer....

1673524972118.png

Yea, that is a fighting position. It will often result in lop being way too short. I would suggest you determine your “correct“ lop and adjust to that. It will improve comfort on the rifle which will improve natural point of aim.

Reactions: Matthew Peaslee
Okay guys you’re starting to beat a dead horse here I appreciate the feedback and as you can see in the second photo I have fixed the issue. Note the extended stock. Thank you all so much for your help and I will gladly accept and advise and support.

Okay guys you’re starting to beat a dead horse here I appreciate the feedback and as you can see in the second photo I have fixed the issue. Note the extended stock. Thank you all so much for your help and I will gladly accept and advise and support.
Beating a dead horse is what we do. It doesn't really get started until page 3...