• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My Busse put me in the ER yesterday

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Yesterday the weather was very nice for a January 1st. I decided I was going to put my new Busse through it's paces as I hadn't had much of a chance to use it yet, so I decided to make a fire.

A bit ago I had a tree fall in my yard, and I had chopped it up a few weeks back with this Busse. I started by making some kindling. This was the first time I had used (abused) a knife in this manner, but the Busse guys are all about it so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I started by holding the log in my left hand, chopping into it with my right, then beating a 2x4 into the spine of the knife alternating between the tip and the tang, until the knife split through the log. It was working really well, I had turned two logs into a good bundle of kindling, and then moved onto the third. I was holding the log with my left and setting the knife with my right when I missed and hit my left hand. At first, I thought that my glove had miraculously saved my hand, but when I moved my hand it revealed a clean slice in the glove. I took it off and immediately starting pouring blood out of a cut 3cm long and over 1cm deep. It was nothing I was confident in fixing as the skin had folded under itself and clearly was going to need stitches. Off to the ER we went!

Pics of the aftermath:
2012-01-01142532.jpg

2012-01-01145639.jpg

CSI pic with the suspect caught red handed:
2012-01-01145741.jpg

Post-op therapy:
2012-01-01152918.jpg

I actually ended up being pretty lucky, I didn't sever any nerves or tendons, and after 8 stitches I am well on the road to recovery. And lesson learned: you start your knife with the baton, don't hold the wood! I am just lucky I was using the smaller of my two Busse's, if it had been the big one I'm pretty sure I would have severed my finger.

The one I used is on the left:
2011-12-29133242.jpg

Re: My Busse put me in the ER yesterday

awesome knife, but you ALWAYS have someone else hold the log for you :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you suck at life </div></div>It's true, I even lose knife fights against myself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you suck at life </div></div>It's true, I even lose knife fights against myself! </div></div>
If you ever get into a knife fight expect to get cut, even if the fight is very one sided.
wink.gif

Hope you have a fast recovery, gonna suck in the gym for a few days!

i watched a guy stab himself in the femoral with a dive knife, it coulda been worse.

At least you had some booze to take the edge off.

Hell, you were lucky!

When I was little I managed to close a Swiss Army knife on my finger and it went to the bone, stuck in my finger bone I had to walk to an ER and they removed it. He said I was lucky to not lose my finger.... and it would have been my trigger finger!

my best friend in high school had a machete and got pissed at his folks one day. started to chop at a door in the basement then decided to stab the door. the machete was just a blade with micarte scales, no hand guard so is hand slide all the way down the blade when he thrust it. had to get nerves reattached and everything. glad to hear you're not hurt worse.

just an idea...
http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/kevlar-gloves,1497.htm

Yeah, the doctor actually suggested those too, I should look into a pair for sure!

I really have no idea why people keep trying to use a knife as an axe.

BM, I can understand the desire to test out the edge retention on a Busse, but next time use an axe, or at the very least, hammer a rubber mallet on the spine with the edge a little bit away from the log.

Might suck for you to try and hold a weapon up with a stump.

Also, the safety word is chainsaw gloves.

Hope your cut gets fixed soon. Make sure to keep it covered. An infection can cut your hand off too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you lose your totin chip card?</div></div>

I would say he lost all 4 corners on that one.

Damn man hope you heal quickly. Thats crazy because i have a scar in the exact same spot (same hand as well) from a stupid accident that was easily avoidable. I was using a big damn k-bar to try and knock a homemade arrow. Cut strait down to bone. Its been 7 years and its still sensitive and numb in some spots on my finger. Your picture made my skin crawl.

The INFI will bite - no doubt about it. Good thing you had the glove on...might have taken half your finger off - or worse!

Glad you are OK. My ASH-1 looks like it would cut to the center of the earth if I dropped it point down. I have been cut badly by knives, but I was also a foolish kid and it's been a while. This serves as a reminder to me to be careful when working with my knives. Sometimes it is easy to get too comfortable with the dangerous tools I use. That is when they bite back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">darwinism? </div></div>Perhaps...

I dont think darwinism. Everybody makes careless mistskes from time to time. Learn from em and try not to repeat the mistake. Shit happens tho.

Cant say i havent been a smartass before. Back to the topic tho, they didnt stictch my finger up (im freaked out by stitches), they pretty much superglued the wound shut. I wound up payin like 800$ for superglue....

No offence was taken to the Darwin comments, in fact, right when it happened I was thinking to myself "Darwin moment right there."

Truth be told, I saw this happening and yet proceeded forward anyhow. Should have known better, lesson learned for next time!

Hahah Boone, took me a second to see what you were getting at, but that is probably because I have been drinking! But, believe it or not, I was stone cold sober when I did this, my thought process actually being "hmmm, I could go for a drink right now, but this knife IS fucking sharp and I AM putting myself in a dangerous position, I probably should stay sober..."

I have to remind myself NOT to do what you did. My number 1 rule is to cut away from myself. With a knife, if it can slip, it will slip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you lose your totin chip card? </div></div>

Ahhh...a Scout in the house. I'd only take once corner for that flesh wound... So when are you selling it? Blood in blood out, I always bleed on my new blades somehow.

Fortunately you have not reached the ultimate level of sharpness with the wicked edge yet or no finger. Seriously gald it was not worse!! Your quote below, video link of sharp

http://youtu.be/XdOmRNnch7s

"Are the waterstones worth it? I would order a set if so. I have the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and 5/3.5 micron strops. I get a scary sharp edge but no mirror, and I am always looking to improve my sharpening."

20 minutes into setting up elk camp 4 years ago I used the wrong tool for the job and put a 1.5" long, deep cut down the front of my thumb.

Hopefully you'll only have to experience that slow motion event where it clicks in your head you are about to bleed like a stuck pig but can't stop yourself before it happens with a sharp knife.

Hopefully you didn't get any tendons and won't require hand surgery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fortunately you have not reached the ultimate level of sharpness with the wicked edge yet or no finger. Seriously gald it was not worse!! Your quote below, video link of sharp

"Are the waterstones worth it? I would order a set if so. I have the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and 5/3.5 micron strops. I get a scary sharp edge but no mirror, and I am always looking to improve my sharpening."
</div></div>

If Jerry Mikulek were into knives, his videos would go about like that one
wink.gif

Nope, no tendons, no nerves, should heal up 100% with just a scar. Got lucky, and learned my lesson! Start the knife with the baton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fortunately you have not reached the ultimate level of sharpness with the wicked edge yet or no finger. Seriously gald it was not worse!! Your quote below, video link of sharp

</div></div>

If Jerry Mikulek were into knives, his videos would go about like that one
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thats freakin crazy...he must have sharpened that thing for two days straight

Haa! Merely a flesh wound!! Come back, I'll bite your ankles off!!!

Lucky the bone got in the way you might could have lopped off a finger with that.

Cheers,

Doc

I'd melt that knife down into a christmas ornament just to make sure that knife and others in your collection know who is boss. Once they start to smell weakness..............

As a hand surgeon you had better send me those knives ASAP so that this accident does not happen again...sorry just following new OSHA regulations.

At least you have good sense in beverages. Nothing like a single malt to dull the pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got lucky, and learned my lesson! Start the knife with the baton.
</div></div>

You did get lucky. NEVER and I repeat NEVER work with the business end of a blade pointed towards you, always away from. When you are batoning through wood like that, the best way to do it is to hold the knife with your weak hand, edge where you want to baton through, and strike the spine with a piece of wood in your strong hand. Control the handle with your weak hand all the way through.

Whatever you do, as you learned, NEVER put your hand BELOW the edge!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got lucky, and learned my lesson! Start the knife with the baton.
</div></div>

You did get lucky. NEVER and I repeat NEVER work with the business end of a blade pointed towards you, always away from. When you are batoning through wood like that, the best way to do it is to hold the knife with your weak hand, edge where you want to baton through, and strike the spine with a piece of wood in your strong hand. Control the handle with your weak hand all the way through.

Whatever you do, as you learned, NEVER put your hand BELOW the edge! </div></div>Right on. I get a do-over this weekend, and I'm glad I learned my lesson before picking up the Battle Mistress I just did.

I got a worm bite like that myself, but mine was just from a lowly ESEE.
stitch.jpg

Took my eyes off what I was doing for a second and this happened. Went for a tetnus shot and they sewed me up.
cut3.jpg

Put some Bacon grease on there and it'll heal right up! But seriously, get well soon.

Another thing I might add, check out jungletraining forum its hosted by esee, and has A LOT of good advice on "survival" skills, like fire building.

The last time I cut myself bad enough that it required stitches I handed the knife to the ER Doc and told him thank you. When he asked why I gave it to him I explained I would never keep a knife that bit me... hasn't happened since. (yet) lol

I'm sure it'll heal quick. They did a pretty decent job closing it up.

Well, stitches have been out for almost a week now. I have been wearing steri strips. There is still a pretty deep "valley" between the two sections, but it is healing.
2012-01-16174934.jpg