• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Calipers Are Less Important

TF160 Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Virginia on the Lake
    I have used calipers with Hornady products to measure free bore, cartridge seating depth, case shoulder—shot and resized, and sorting bullets—ogive to base.

I have often been frustrated by the inconsistent measurements for free bore, seating depth, and bullet length because the readout is influenced by the amount of pressure I apply to the micrometer. Shoulder bump is more consistent because of the die setting.

I recently purchased an Accuracy One Seating Depth Comparator which, as the name implies, measures bullet seating depth for cartridges from 22 to 30 cal. This gauge measures from the cartridge shoulder to the ogive of the seated bullet. When inserted, the loaded cartridge shoulder contacts the radiused opening and the gauge stem is moved providing a digital readout for comparison.

1656846312107.png

Voilà a consistent seating depth measurement regardless of the amount of pressure I exerted on the cartridge. This also confirmed that my dies were consistent and not the problem.

It then occurred to me that I could also use this gauge to measure free bore. Using the Hornady comparator to set the bullet, I used the gauge for the measurement. Again the readout is not influenced by my pressure.

Finally, using the Hornady Modified Cartridge I bought a nylon screw. I inserted the screw into the base of the modified case and adjusted it until I established my desired bullet length. I then insert bullets into the case and measure and sort the bullets. Again, the measurement is not influenced by my pressure.

By eliminating the pressure variable I have more consistency (ergo confidence) that my reloads are more consistent at each step.

They also make a primer depth gauge for a reasonable price.