Sorry to spew but here are some of my reloading woes and queries.
- Noticed a pattern with increased speed with more space in cartridge/longer base to ogive measurement. What's that about? Does it have a positive effect on how the powder burns?
- Related: With my Staball reloads, the longer base to ogive seatings shot a bit better. But I sometimes worry there's not enough even pressure holding the bullet in place. They feed ok but they are beyond typical OAL (that I see is recommended). I go with the evidence but wanted to ask.
- I'm having a few resized cases being too baggy for the bullet. Like 3 or 4 per 50. It's annoying cos I have a primer in there. If I go down to a different bushing size will that help? Is that the component controlling the width? (I have a 0.291" bushing based on my brass measurements.) I was wondering whether these too-wide cartridges might be ones I passed thru the sizing die more than once as I'm dicking around getting the should bump right...
- Can you get live primers out of a case? How?
- I was thrilled with my Staball in 6.5 creedmoor reloads. With 43.8 grains, I got the SD down below 10 and group size to 0.25". I tried IMR 4451 and had problems though. I tried full spectrum in ladder test and bullet seating. I could not get the SDs down below the 20s and 30s. Everything was loaded the same way as my Staball loads. Should I just accept its not working for me? At what point do you give up?
- Sorry to ask, but what is the procedure for buying a barrel for my Tikka Tac A1 - let's say a Bartlein? Is it basically I order the basic bare barrel. Then I take it to a gunsmith to add threads for the muzzle and fit it. Like typically the barrel manufacturer doesn't bother with that stuff usually? I think you can buy "off the shelf" but I wanted to ask what is generally the case.
- According to Precision Rifle Blog most PRS pros are using a 26 inch M24. I can't wrong with that set up for my 6.5 Creedmore right? It's not like I can test different ones and I'm not proud...I'm happy to copy. (It's 2 inches longer than more than my stock Tikka barrel. Probably heavier too but I haven't checked).
- Would you redo load recipes if change for a longer barrel? Will a new barrel of the same length affect anything (like accuracy and fps)?