• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My creation of civilian version of Mk 262 Mod m1n3

Apex Motorsports

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Albany, Oregon.
Warning, for non techie people this will be similar to a white paper. Long and lots of information.

After reading about people trying to blow their faces up attempting to make a civilian variant of Mk 262 with varying levels of success (one guy was talking about 28 gr of Varget, wtf). Add to that varied loading charts (even the Sierra loading manual version 5) disagrees with other versions of sierra's loading for their and other ar bullets.I thought I would take some time between classes and come up with a combination which you can use commercially available components on the cheap to replicate the velocity and or bullet trace of the Mk 262 Mod 0 match long range ammunition.

This will start with working smarter, not harder. The US Military is limited, Hague convention and Geneva conventions regarding combatants and the munitions you can use by laws of land warfare. Short version is using fleshetes, or other non full metal jacket ammo isn't allowed. Since I joined the First Civ Div I figured I would share some info. First, we don't have to use the SMK 77gr round. There are better bullets for long range shooting as civilians like the Hornady 75 grain A-Max. Second, Make sure your uber experimental loads are checked for signs of pressure. Flattened primers are the first clue. Unlike bolt guns you don't have the ability to feel the stiff bolt lift from an over pressured round in an AR platform rifle. Third chambering reamer used has a large effect on what cartridges will have more pressure. Longer throats allow you to generally run hotter rounds due to more "jump".

This approach will be more trying to mimic the trajectory of a Mk 262 mod 0, I will call my attempts Mk 262 Mod M1n3 (mine). So the bullet I am choosing to use is the Hornady 75 grain A-Max bullet. Why? Because it is less expensive than 77gr SMK, and has a higher BC. Today I was at the sporting goods store and grabbed a box of 100 bullets for 20 bucks. The Ballistic Coefficient is also higher with this round making it shrug the wind better and not requiring as high of muzzle velocity. Some algebra and trig will be used to make the calculated plots for bullet drop and wind drift (10 mph full value wind). The A-Max bullet has a BC of 0.435, vs 0.362 for a SMK (contacted Hornady for clarification on what velocities that BC is valid for). <span style="color: #FFFF00">EDIT- The Amax 75 gr doesn't load to mag length. </span> Swapping the Hornady 75 gr bthp 0.396 G1 BC. Not quite where I wanted to be but still better than the SMK 77gr in terminal performance in theory.

I will save you the calculations. More or less the A-Max can have a muzzle velocity of 2650 for a 600 yard drop of 101.97 inches. The SMK needs an initial velocity of 2746.xx to have similar point of aim / point of impact (within 0.1 inch). Less pressure will make your barrel last longer and sometimes decrease copper fouling. In my experience ramshot tac also burns cleaner than other powders I have used. The bonus is that with the higher BC the A-Max has win drift of 33.xx inches, the SMK has 40.xx inch wind drift at the same wind speed/ direction. Another added bonus is that the Meplat of the A max changes minimally round to round. The SMK round for competition is often trimmed to make the BC more consistent (trimming off the deformed tips).

My expectations, try to see if I can create a round which attempts to favor jumping the lands as the SMK rounds do. (traditionally Berger, lapua and similar target rounds like minimal jump or being jammed into the lands) SMK's seem to not mind jumping over 0.015 into the lands and still maintaining exceptional accuracy. It will be critical for this trait to be mimiced due to the overall length limits imposed by the magazine dimensions.

Bullets tend to have several nodes that they are more accurate at. Finding the velocity node is key to getting good accuracy AND long range ballistics which don't have your bullets tumbling at 800 meters.

The final stage will be tests on a hand full of AR's. 16 inch Noveske N4 (my three gun/ recce rifle), 24 inch DPMS and a 16 inch DPMS(later to be followed by 18 inch woa)The thought behind this is simple. If I can match the trajectory with a 16 inch barrel with less powder it's a win for me. Most testing will be done with cronograph and at ranges from 100-600 meters (my gunclubs max range of 600 isn't always available since it shoots OVER the 200/300 yard lines. So the 600 yard evaluations may take a while). I will do my best to add accuracy notes as shot from my light weight benchrest rig when I get some fixtures machined for adapting an ar to benchrest for repeatable accuracy (I am a scientist, I need to establish controls leave me alone lol) For practical competition you can also load them hotter for even less wind drift at your own risk.

*** By using my loading data you are doing so at your own risk in your rifle. As with all loading start 10% lower and work up***

Components:

-Lake City Once/ twice fired brass with full benchrest prep.
(primer pockets uniformed, Neck sized, neck turned, weight matched etc)
Primers: Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR4, <span style="text-decoration: underline">CCI 450 Mag</span>
Powder: <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ramshot tac</span>, compared to varget
Bullet:hornady 75 gr hpbt
Oal: 2.250
Crimp 0, +
Primary rifle to be used Noveske N4 recce (my build)

180840_10150133826049669_535394668_7842383_5490199_n.jpg

Re: My creation of civilian version of Mk 262 Mod m1n3

We are going to find out lol. I think the book length is 2.390 for the A Max not many people use it but we will see how it goes. Worst case I look for another bullet with a better BC like the bergers but I have been trying to find main stream components that can be found at most stores. I was using the 75 gr Match fine in mag length 2.260 oal I am hoping that I can make it work. If not I have more service rifle rounds for my next 600 meter slow fire lol.

the 70 vld might be a good alternative to the a max, it equals the bc of 77 smk/75 bthp, is mag length friendly, and can be pushed faster

Reactions: camocorvette

The thought was that if I find a lower bc bullet that loads to mag length then the terminal ballistics can be similar with less initial velocity (likely in a safer pressure area). The 75 gr A max does not load to mag length. Made some this am, given bearing length, powder volume etc. Won't happen, so going to go back to the 75gr match Hornady for now (higher bc than the smk but not as slick as A-Max.) I was hoping for a substatial gain in BC. Any bullet suggestions in the 0.4xx + range would be nice. Looking for 2.260 lol.

I don't think that's gonna work...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any bullet suggestions in the 0.4xx + range would be nice. Looking for 2.260 lol. </div></div>

70vld like other guy said. Too much money for me though.

75horn BTHP, 24 TAC or varget mess with seating depth until it is accurate and then make a bunch if you ask me.

I have used the 75 gr BTHP Hornady which is why I figured the Amax may work(incorrect assumption). The 75 gr BTHP does fit mag length and I had a good load in the rifle I sold. I have to start over with the 3 gun rifle since it's new so I figured this would be a good jumping off point. I was using Vihtavuori powder also which added up quickly and wasn't as easy to get as tac/ varget. The 70 gr bergers have lower BC than the 75gr Hornady bthp, and they are more expensive.

Anyone know of a 2.260 oal bullet that has a G1 BC higher than .395? I think we can still make good gains over the SMK with this bullet assuming your shooting paper/ steel for match purposes.

According to Bryan Litz the actual tested bc of the Hornady 75 bthp is .357 while the 77 smk is .371 and the 70 vld is .371. The only other option that may yield marginal improvement is the 77 scenar at .403.

I am marching right in line behind you USMC. I have 500 Hornady 75 BTHP on the way from MidSouth. I will be later in development as the barrel for my precision build isn't even on order yet, but I plan on loads with RL15 and 4895 in LC brass.

I have run numbers thru a buddies quickload and it looks like the LC cases are going to get full quick, especially loading at mag length. It is also pushing pressures into the 56k psi ranges which is getting close to the 223 max of 62366..... but if numbers are right (and they are usually REALLY close), we should be able to get 2720-2740 out of the Hornady 75 BTHP in a 18"-20" barrel setup.

One benefit for me, is I will be shooting from a Wylde chamber, so it will be a little more forgiving, but I always work up... hit the ceiling, then back down to the closest accuracy node to the edge (currently running 178A-Max at 2650 out of my 308 bolt).

The last piece of the puzzle for me is primers. I have read several reports on small rifle primers varying drastically in thickness, and that the thinner standard primers (CCI400, Fed200, Rem 6 1/2, WSR) will pierce with higher pressure loads. So I am going to try CCI 450, BR4 and Federal 205M which all have thicker cups.

Thanks for jumping into the pool.... this should be an interesting venture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fastex500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have run numbers thru a buddies quickload and it looks like the LC cases are going to get full quick
</div></div>

Ask your buddy if the software needs a cd to run lol. Did you measure the water grain capacity? It seems to change year to year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fastex500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So I am going to try CCI 450, BR4 and Federal 205M which all have thicker cups.
</div></div>

The rem 7 1/2 has a thicker cup and I have had good luck rocking those in 308 with extremely high pressures (155 palma) along with 450's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to Bryan Litz the actual tested bc of the Hornady 75 bthp is .357 while the 77 smk is .371 and the 70 vld is .371. The only other option that may yield marginal improvement is the 77 scenar at .403. </div></div>

Well that's a bummer cause the advertized bc is much higher. I will check out the 77 scenar for my personal stash of ammo but if that bc is actually correct we should be able to get some decent mileage from that. I did check the Lapua web site and their data shows a bc of 0.386 for the 77 scenar. Also generally the Sierra's tend to be the best with bullet jump.

Will check the water capacity as soon as the brass arrives. I am pretty sure it is all LC 07 brass, so we shall see. I'll check out the 7 1/2's as well, I know they are the same thickness as the 450's and BR4's. Depends on what the local shop has in stock.. I hate having to pay that hazmat fee to try a few trays of a primer.

First, the only one here to mention chambers is Fastex. You need to know you cannot safely get mk 262 velocities from a standard SAAMI .223 Chamber. Even the Wylde Chamber is touch and go. The best chamber to attempt this in is the 5.56 chamber. If you do not have a a 5.56 chamber ask a gunsmith what it will take to ream your .223/.223(something) chamber to a 5.56 NATO chamber. The difference is a little over 1/8" longer leade in the 5.56.

The best thing to do is use mil-brass that is heavier so it can take up a the pressure better. Use the mil primers as not only are their cups thicker, they are a little harder/tougher. Seat the bullet to the minimum standard length. The ogive will begin right out of the case mouth. The rounds should be about .050" shorter than mag length. The more run, the more speed.

Now, fill the case with 24 gr. of RE-15 (like they use in Mk 262) and work up to a maximum of 25.5 gr. Stuff either a Hornady BTHP 75 gr., a SMK 77, Lapua Scenar 77 gr. or Nosler CC 77 gr. bullet to the length I described.

I get 2690 from a 16" barrel with a 5.56 chamber. Again, if you do not have a 5.56 chamber, do not be attempting to get Mk 262 speeds from a .223 chamber.

Anyone know how the Noveske chamber used in his 16" Recon barrels compares?

I was shooting 26gr of BLC2 behind a 75gr Hornady BTHP and the rifle definitely liked it. Wasn't shooting paper so I couldn't map the trajectory precisely.

I load tons of 24 tac/25.3 varget and 75horn using LC brass and reg CCI primers and have never popped or pierced a primer. They are also pretty mild which is what you want. Hot primers like wins gave me really inconsistent chrono results, I think extreme spread was 120 vs 60 w/CCI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, the only one here to mention chambers is Fastex. You need to know you cannot safely get mk 262 velocities from a standard SAAMI .223 Chamber. Even the Wylde Chamber is touch and go. The best chamber to attempt this in is the 5.56 chamber. If you do not have a a 5.56 chamber ask a gunsmith what it will take to ream your .223/.223(something) chamber to a 5.56 NATO chamber. The difference is a little over 1/8" longer leade in the 5.56.

The best thing to do is use mil-brass that is heavier so it can take up a the pressure better. Use the mil primers as not only are their cups thicker, they are a little harder/tougher. Seat the bullet to the minimum standard length. The ogive will begin right out of the case mouth. The rounds should be about .050" shorter than mag length. The more run, the more speed.

Now, fill the case with 24 gr. of RE-15 (like they use in Mk 262) and work up to a maximum of 25.5 gr. Stuff either a Hornady BTHP 75 gr., a SMK 77, Lapua Scenar 77 gr. or Nosler CC 77 gr. bullet to the length I described.

I get 2690 from a 16" barrel with a 5.56 chamber. Again, if you do not have a 5.56 chamber, do not be attempting to get Mk 262 speeds from a .223 chamber. </div></div>

I touched on it. I am going with the idea that everyone and their mom should know the difference between 223 rem and 5.56 nato by now. Also I don't know of any AR Mfgs which make a 223 chambered ar.

I have to disagree with the longer jump. With these rounds in Lake City brass case volume is at a premium so loading to mag length is ideal in most cases. I have found that different bullets / rifles like different OAL. Different bullets (berger) have a tendency to like being jammed into the rifling for best accuracy (however pressure does increase). Which is why I start with the longest load FIRST and start with powder on the low end of the scale. Compared to SMK which are very tolerant of jump and still manage to produce excellent accuracy. If you check the jump to the lands with mag length depending on your chambering. I have yet to be able to get the bullet in the lands with a magazine fed semi weapon. Mag length being the limiting factor. The overall goal is to be come up with ammo that loads in magazines, performs like mk 262 or better in the velocity, poa/poi department, and holds at least 3/4 moa. 1/2 in my rifles or better is my goal out to 800 meters. Also I am pretty sure they used something like Ramshot tac in mk262 mod 0.

Regarding brass, We will see how many times Lake City can be reloaded before the primer pockets are to loose (the main reason I am using Lake City rather than Winchester or federal. It's also one of the least expensive ways to make 1000-2000 rounds. I like to use my dads old phrase, "A poor boy magnum of sorts" . Figuratively, not literally.

I know there are variances in sd, es with using different primers. But some loads are very tolerant, hell I have had some loads that have ridiculously high ES with BR2 primers... It's all about try what you can get.

In the end I am looking for a balance of accuracy and velocity. Neither trumps the other in this case.

Cheers

The Mk 262 or any other 5.56 round is made to fit the magazine and the jump is necessary to get the higher longer pressure curve. The recipe I gave you is how I was told the round is manufactured. I just checked with some guys who were talking 2640-2650. I'm getting 2690. Both those from a 16" barrel. And out of a 30" bolt gun barrel, 3050.

And you have to go with the 77's because the long secant ogives of the Bergers DO need to be jammed IMO to get them to shoot better. But, remember, even though this is a "precision" round by military standards, it's still made to fit a wide variety of rifles. It isn't like you get to handload your Mk 262 for how your rifle is shooting. It is mass produced still and while remaining more accurate 'jumping' to the lands, it still isn't as accurate as a 'tuned' load to your rifle. Also, no matter how heavy the .224 cal bullets are, they just don't have enough weight in them to up the BC to really good levels. Thus they remain like other 5.56 rounds at very high pressure. So, if you want to mimic Mk 262, you've got to run the high pressures.

FWIW, most of the AR manufacturers do produce AR barrels in .223. Because with the leade in them being closer, and pressures lower, they are generally more accurate than the 5.56. I think now you're seeing a turnaround in the market where folks want what the military has. And are perfectly willing to try and duplicate it, like you are. (that's a good thing). But with that high pressure comes some sacrifice in accuracy. Hopefully the load and leade work well enough together to give good enough accuracy for the intended long ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2 in my rifles or better is my goal out to 800 meters.</div></div>

I don't want to hurt your feelers but that ain't happening. Not mag fed in a 16" 223 AR.

1-1.5 MOA @ 600M from your most accurate rifle mag fed for a ten shot string and putting them more often than not on a 12x12" steel at 800 would be much more reasonable goal and in line with the rifle's original purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2 in my rifles or better is my goal out to 800 meters.</div></div>

I don't want to hurt your feelers but that ain't happening. Not mag fed in a 16" 223 AR.

1-1.5 MOA @ 600M from your most accurate rifle mag fed for a ten shot string and putting them more often than not on a 12x12" steel at 800 would be much more reasonable goal and in line with the rifle's original purpose.</div></div>

I'll agree with that if you're talking a 5.56 chamber. I shoot sub MOA all the time with my .223 out to 600 and 800 (provided the wind isn't kicking my ass). From a .223 chamber in an AR, I've shot 1/4-.5MOA often. Way more often than not it's closer to .5 MOA than MOA. I'm not running the high pressures in my .223 chamber though and the mag length chamber/leade is a lot more conducive to accuracy.

That said, What BCP says is correct. If shooting 1.5 MOA out to 600 then you are only getting a variance of 9" Which is plenty of accuracy for the intended purpose of the round. 2 MOA is 21" @ 1k. Provided you're calling the conditions right, that's either a hit or a "he's going down and not coming up for air anytime soon" shot.

I know I will be running pressures ABOVE sammi 223 specs. I also made sure that my barrel can operate at those pressures safely before I even started down this road.

I have tested with actual Mk 262 mod 1 ammo from while I was still in the Marine Corps. We were getting es of 10 and sd of 3 for the lot we tested. I was really impressed with the ammo considering it's LR issue ammo. 20 inch barrel and ~2780. I never tested in a 16 inch barrel.

The advantage here is I can load for a smaller window of operation than Black Hills needs to accommodate with combat loads. They may see 140 degrees in full sun and still need to run under about 62k psi. Anyhow, I should pulled a bullet and checked the powder then. I ended up comparing powder later and it looked closest to ramshot tac and according to the sierra loading manual that made the most sense because they had the highest velocities at max 223 load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2 in my rifles or better is my goal out to 800 meters.</div></div>

I don't want to hurt your feelers but that ain't happening. Not mag fed in a 16" 223 AR. </div></div>

My last Ar was 1/3 MOA with a krieger barrel
smile.gif
You should attend camp Perry sometimes and tell that to the rest of the Marine Corps Rifle Team, or the AMU etc. Velocity isn't everything, it just makes reading the wind more critical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2 in my rifles or better is my goal out to 800 meters.</div></div>

I don't want to hurt your feelers but that ain't happening. Not mag fed in a 16" 223 AR. </div></div>

My last Ar was 1/3 MOA with a krieger barrel
smile.gif
You should attend camp Perry sometimes and tell that to the rest of the Marine Corps Rifle Team, or the AMU etc. Velocity isn't everything, it just makes reading the wind more critical. </div></div>

Hold on here. Those ain't stock rifles either. If you can custom cut a chamber to maximize accuracy and still handle the pressures, then do so. The average chamber cut for a "precision" rifle still has broader tolerances than a custom match cut chamber.

And FWIW, Mk 262 isn't tearing up any records either. Maybe in the .223/5.56 only category.

24gn varget 77gn smk with cann on Winchester brass with a quality primer. I crimp case neck.
I'm on about 3k wih my shillen barrel.

I never said they weren't stock rifles. Hell the Krieger barrel cost about the same as my Noveske with chambering. Just as none of the rifles I own are stock (other than dads hand me down weapons). About the only "stock" gear that floated around my company was M4's. But even the M4's weren't standard SOPMOD Block 1. The pistols and rifles carried were all from the PWS(Precision Weapons Shop Quantico, Va). My 6.5 lapua is a legit 1/4 moa rifle, it was also chambered with a standard 6.5 reamer, not match. The noveske is the first semi match chamber I have had in any of my rifles other than benchrest.

From our modified a4's my dope was about +4 at 100, +5 at 200, 0 at 300, -15 at 400, -38 at 500, - 75 at 600, -127 at 700, -200 at 800 with Mk 262.

The reason I like Mk 262 was you could carry a shit load more 5.56 than 7.62 for the same weight and it was a good all around weapon and it bucked the wind better than M855, so if my wind call was off by mph you don't miss. Also the cost of shooting alot of 308 and 6.5x47 lapua had my ammo costs into the thousands for brass bullets and powder between practical rifle, three gun, USPSA and service rifle. I am basically trying to come up with an alternative to shooting rounds that cost 50 cents each reloading for shooting at paper and steel. If I can get that number down to say 17 cents then I will be stoked. The Marine Corps doesn't pay for my ammo anymore so gotta be a bit more thrifty lol.

Anyhow, I am almost done with prepping 2k pieces of brass for testing. Still need to weight sort. Hoping to start testing this weekend.

USMC_4_LIFE,

It sounds like you aren't worried about the accuracy tangent we took.

I will reiterate though, the best powder to get the speed, and it is very consistent, is the RE-15. It is temp sensitive.

If you will, let me break this down a different way.

There are two kinds of powders single base, which is just gun powder and double base which has nitro glycerin added and stabilized to produce more pressure by weight volume than single base. It can be formulated to produce 2k-5k more pressure than an equal charge of single base powder. This is why it typically matches a faster burning single base load in a given case.

As a reloader you understand the differences and how they are attained to get burn speed, i.e. H4198 is faster than H4895 which in turn is faster than H4350.
When powder was being made originally, clear up to the turn of this century, it was kernel size that determined burn speed. The smaller the kernel the faster the burn. Along about the late nineties, someone figured out that if you coat the powder with a burn retardant and reduce the size of the kernel you get the same burn speed. So, they fiddled with mixtures, sizes and formulas and Hodgdon's extreme line of powders was born. Varget being the first of it's kind.

In the given case volume of the .223/5.56 if you look at the different burn rate charts and load tables you generally find the faster powders, single or double base, shooting lighter bullets. And, the slower powders shooting heavier bullets.

At this point, I like to let people make a graph so they can actually see where their powder is working. Make a baseline left to right. Mark it off equally in the number of inches of your barrel. On the left side of that line, make a vertical base line(it doesn't have to be tall 3"-4" will suffice). Mark it equally 1-7. That is tens of thousands of pounds pressure. Now make a mark somewhere down the barrel length as to where your gas port is. The primer of your case sits right where the two lines meet.
Each type of powder you put in your case and fire is going to leave a signature pressure curve. The faster the powder, the sharper it is going to climb. Also, the sharper it is going curve back down and tail off. The amount will determine how high it climbs. The speed of the powder determines how fast it tapers off down the barrel.
Now, the trick to fooling this graph is, normally a heavier bullet will make a slower powder burn faster, because the pressure is increased inside the case during firing. This is where the burn retardants have really come in to help. What they do is "temporarily cap off" pressure (chemically) so that the "curve" (high point on the pressure curve" moves down the barrel. Instead of going up it moves down the barrel. You get the steep rise in pressure that helps the bullet gain velocity. Which brings us to the other way you get velocity and that is a slower burning powder which pushes down the barrel farther.

The caveat there is you don't want to exceed 17K (1.7 on your graph) at the port by too much. 17K is where it's supposed to work at, but will take somewhat more.

Understanding that is the key to what powders you want to select. Originally, 4198 was the powder selected to push the 55 gr. FMJ out of the M16 @3250. That worked in hot zones, but the then uncoated powder fell off in colder temps. It was decided to use 4895. The higher volume of powder didn't fall off so bad in colder temps. In the meantime, rounds were being sent over to Viet Nam with ball powder in them. It was dirty and caused a lot of the malfuntions often associated with the rifle. But, that's another tangent.

Long story short, if you look at the graph RE-15 is not a coated powder. But it most closely matches the profile you seek on that graph. With a heavy bullet, the burn is sped up but not so high it exceeds pressure. It is a slow enough powder that it carries down the barrel far enough to give good velocity on the heavy bullets.
That's why I keep telling you to use RE-15. It has an increased pressure due to it being a double base. Varget is still a single base and it doesn't provide enough oomph to get the bullet moving fast enough initially with the short gas path. Re-15 is also a scrunched case full that, even though temp sensitive, will still give pretty consistent velocities from cold to hot. I find the closer to max a load is the less temp sensitive it is.

<span style="color: #3333FF">
Added:
This is also the difference between the RE-15 and Varget in the different chambers. The 5.56 relieves the pressure enough so that Varget won't produce enough pressure to get the Mk 262 velocites like RE 15 will. However, switch the tables and you will see that much RE-15 blowing out primers in the .223 chamber while the Varget operates at it's peak. And it's intended purpose. With a longer barrel and no gas port, the Varget actually does quite comparable. And of course it's known for it's consistency/accuracy.</span>

I read through this and still wonder if I missed something? Why not use the SMK.
You get consistant lot to lot bullets, ready avaiability, and no lying about BC's. I do not see why anyone would use any Hornady product. They are not out to help reloaders and will not sell their powders to the reloader, they would rather screw us on ammo. I will buy nothing from them, Berger changes their bullets all the time and who knows the real BC's?
I have shot over 20K rounds in Win and LC brass loaded to mag length with 24 grains of ramshot TAC and Russian primers. Shoots .5 moa to 600 yards and kills well to that range. It seems you are trying to re-invent the wheel. The TAC drops very uniformly, russian primers hold up well, SMK's shoot very well and kill very well. Wholesale prices are very competative. Winner all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should attend camp Perry sometimes and tell that to the rest of the Marine Corps Rifle Team, or the AMU etc. </div></div>

I've pulled targets for those guys they aren't shooting 1/3MOA @ 800M with a 16" carbine lol. If they were they'd be setting palma records and kicking ass on benchresters.

I shoot a fair amount of 600M and a few 800, 900, 1000 matches and don't see any short barreled AR's there. If they are they are usually keyholing/all over the place past 600. Now, I have seen 223 AR's at those matches but they are 24-26" bull setups using too long for mag bullets and lots and lots of varget because that it was it takes to get that bullet downrange with a fair amount of accuracy.

Also when you start shooting longer distances velocity becomes much more important. A load that is dead on @ 300-600 might be all over the place @ 1k. Bullets need a certain amount of velocity to stay supersonic/stable. That is just how it is.

But hey, I could be wrong. Go make up some loads and shoot some 10-shot 1/2MOA or better groups at 800M with your 16" AR, mag fed. I'll send you some naked pics if you pull it off.

Sandwarrior:

How do you think TAC stands up, and would you consider it temp sensitive?

GB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandwarrior:

How do you think TAC stands up, and would you consider it temp sensitive?

GB</div></div>

Tac is temp sensitive. Like RE-15 it has a hard pressure ceiling. It's a little too fast from what I've found to get the velocity you need to mimic Mk 262. That said, I've loaded it in .308, 7mm-08, .243, and .223 and it's very consistent and accurate at any given temp you shoot it at. Sometimes it's the load that goes inconsistent due to extreme temp differences. RE-15 does that with heavy .308 loads where the powder has room to move. More room to move means more inconsistency in extreme temps, I've found. Load it up a bit and variation reduces. Re-15 is also the powder used in M118LR.

So to your question again, TAC is a little bit faster than H4895 and produces a bit more pressure for equal volume. therefore I find it does well with 50-70 gr. bullets. Above that, you can get more push and fill the case better.

I much rather shoot the 75gr. Hornady BTHP over the 77gr. SMK. I get better accuracy with the 75gr.

My load is:

75gr. Hornady BTHP
CCI BR-4 Primer
Lake City Brass(full prepped)
24.5grs. Varget
OAL; 2.250"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I much rather shoot the 75gr. Hornady BTHP over the 77gr. SMK. I get better accuracy with the 75gr.

My load is:

75gr. Hornady BTHP
CCI BR-4 Primer
Lake City Brass(full prepped)
24.5grs. Varget
OAL; 2.250" </div></div>

AR or bolt action? Barrel length?

longrange;

hard to go wrong with 24ish grains varget and a 75grain bullet in 223.

GB;

tac is okay. meters well, good velocity in 223 but temp sensitive and hasn't been accurate in all my rifles. if consistency is what you want go varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longrange;

hard to go wrong with 24ish grains varget and a 75grain bullet in 223.

GB;

tac is okay. meters well, good velocity in 223 but temp sensitive and hasn't been accurate in all my rifles. if consistency is what you want go varget. </div></div>

I agree, Varget is great... one problem: you need to use a power meter to drop it. I've got two RCBS charge masters, but that's a pita when you want to make a 1000 rounds.

TAC is useful because it's great if you want to use a progressive reloader with a powder drop... it meters quite well.

The closest I have gotten to dupping the MK262 without a lot of effort Is a Max Sierra book load for Viht 1-40 once fired Win. brass CCI no 41 primers and a 77SMK which run 2720-2730 outta both of my HCS MK12 Mod 0 and Mod 1. Both shoot sub MOA out to 200, Furthest I've put either on paper.

I'm still in the stone age using an RCBS uniflow so varget metering isn't a problem for me. Anyone tried 2000MR? I still have a bit left that might be a candidate if velocity is your thing.

...an RCBS uniflow (I've got 3), the Lyman equiv, Hubbell, and a 5BR Redding...

They all cut the grains on stick powders... isn't that an issue from an accuracy standpoint?

What about using the Nosler 77 gr HPBT with about 24 gr Varget and Wolf Small Rifle Mag Primers. Works great in my Mark 12 Mod 0.

Update, I had an issue with one of the rifle components / weather. Weather should break from the rain this coming week so I can get out to the range (problem is that I live in the rainy NW and the firing lines are covered but the chronograph would be soaked)

I got the Dillon 650 press set up long with the single stage press/ charge master. Will run some more ammo tomorrow and test this week. The first batch will all be loaded with the same dies/ single stage press for proofing. After if I end up using TAC I will just run it through the 650 for 100 rounds/ bullet type for more accurate SD/ES numbers and correction of BC if needed (like hornady from what I can tell).

I recently got to chrono 3 different loads out of my HCS Mk12 Mod1.

8000 ft. ASL, 32 Deg. F

Black Hills 77 gr OTM 2750 fps shoots sub MOA
SW Ammo RnG 77 gr 2675 fps shoots 1.5-2 MOA
23.5 gr Varget 77 gr SMK LC Brass 2585 fps shoots sub MOA

The hand load is just as accurate as the BH, but the BH has way more MV.

After gettin the SPR built, tested and all my 5.56 reloading supplies in, I loaded up some Hornady 75gr BTHP as follows:

All Lake City Brass (07)
CCI BR4 Primers
Full length case size, trimmed and de-burred
Reloader 15
2.260 COAL

23.1gr
23.4gr
23.8gr
24.0gr
24.4gr

Weight spreads were made after playing with my Lee powder measure and finding the weights that metered consistently. Going to try to chrono them this week out of a 18" 1-8 SPR. Once I find a good velocity, I'll start moving .1gr and play with crimp strength and seating depths.

How about the AR Comp powder.
Apparently a reworked RE15, specifically geared towards the heavy .223 and .308 bullets, supposedly much less temp sensitive than RE15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to powder, what about 2520? </div></div>

This what I use in my 18 inch SPR. I get great accuracy and better speed than I have with Varget or 4895. I have settled on this powder for my 75/77 grn load. I get 2785 FPS with out pressure signs using 24.5 grain. I don't have me notes with meto confrim that charge but I am pretty certain that's what it is though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to powder, what about 2520? </div></div>

This what I use in my 18 inch SPR. I get great accuracy and better speed than I have with Varget or 4895. I have settled on this powder for my 75/77 grn load. I get 2785 FPS with out pressure signs using 24.5 grain. I don't have me notes with meto confrim that charge but I am pretty certain that's what it is though. </div></div>

2785? I have some of that in the garage maybe I should try it...best my 18" did with varget was 2700? I think.

OK, here are my results:

All Lake City Brass (07)
CCI BR4 Primers
Full length case size, trimmed and de-burred
Reloader 15
2.260 COAL
69F, 29.92inhg, 40% humidity, 660ft asl

Speeds are average of 3
23.1gr - 2469fps
23.4gr - 2501fps
23.8gr - 2584fps
24.0gr - 2612fps
24.4gr - 2678fps

I'm going to play around the 24.5gr mark later in the week and see if I can get consistency around 2700fps and I'll be happy. Should be sonic out to 950yds.

I can not add much to this thread, you're all more experienced hand loaders than I am.

I will however take note at the 77gr = bad idea. I had a 1:8 barrel that absolutely loved 69gr, liked 77gr, and would not shoot 75gr anything to save it's life. There is more to accuracy than BC.

I would not ditch the 77gr or other weights because the 75 has a higher BC. You know what has a really high bc? 90gr, but it's pointless to try for that in an AR loaded to OAL mag length and etc.

I am all for the end-all 556 round, but the 77gr Mk262 (with cannular) was probably not chosen because of it's cost or BC alone. I wouldn't toss it in the trash because something looks better on paper.

But by all means do try and report findings, makes for great reading!

Updates...

OK, here is my data from last week and a test this weekend:

70F, 30.22inhg, 34% hum, 690ft ASL
18" 1-8 twist SPR barrel AR15
All LC07 brass, sized and trimmed
Hornady 75gr BTHP
2.265" COAL
BR4 CCI Primers
Reloader 15

24.4gr: 2634fps avg
24.6gr: 2679fps avg
24.8gr: 2723fps avg
25.0gr: 2736fps avg

The best 3 round group (bench) was the 25.0gr at 7/16", followed by the 24.8gr at 9/16". No pressure signs, no bulging, case problem, primer run or primer blow by. Looks like I'll try moving the bullet around a few thousands in the case and see how accuracy is affected, but I'm happy with mid 2700's in a 75gr 223.

Before I start fine tuning or pushing farther, I decided to load a batch at 24.8gr and took the SPR out and stretched her legs yesterday. First I zeroed with a clean bore (only 40 rnds since new build). Groups were MOA, and tightened up as I went thru the first 20rnd mag.

Moved back to 615yds, dialed 5 mils. Layed down, leveled the reticle on a Larue popper target, called 8mph wind and squeezed the trigger.... Just off the right shoulder! Adjusted for wind again, and hit center/center! Honestly, with the wind bouncing from nothing to 12+ I expected the 75gr 223 to be a challenge at that distance, but shot after shot I (and Pusher) got that satisfying "ding" of copper, lead and steel meeting.

So, long story short, loading the 24.8gr RL15 worked great in the real world, and followed ballistics as it should.

I've been digging around to see what max is, but 25gr of varget and 24.4 of 4895 are both compressed, RL-15 is close to both, so I just want to be careful as I start creeping out on the edge. Anyone have any experience past 25gr with RL-15 in this 75gr 223 arena?

Remember, your results may vary. Work up from minimum loads in a reputable manual and look for pressure signs!

Have you tried AR-Comp or 2000-MR? Heard good things about those.

I shoot 75g Hornadys, with 24g H4895, o7 LC cases out of my CLE 18" SPR 1/8 twist barrel= 2750 on the money. Its a real hammer,gong at 600 spanks for 5.56, but as soon as I drop any amount of powder less than 24grains, groups tend to open up. No pressure signs whatso ever. I've tried all the powders mentioned above, and none could get it there other than H4895.