• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My dilemma on my next rifle

My dilemma on my next rifle

• Sell my SPR and buy a AI MkIII 6.5CM

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • Keep my SPR and buy a Savage 12LRP 6.5

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

cgbills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Ok my next rifle is going to be a 6.5 creedmoor. I currently have a BCM SPR complete with a Geissele trigger and Vltor A5 system. It has been a very accurate rifle and I regularly play at 600 yards with it. I was planning on doing a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 to complement my SPR, but more and more I have been eyeballing a AI AE MkIII in 6.5. The only thing is I would have to sell my SPR in order to step up into an AI. This is my dilemma. I know the Savage would be a good gun, but I have always wanted an AI. Also my SPR has been a good gun, but I don't know how often I would shoot it when I get a 6.5. The SPR does not really fill any role or need that the 6.5 wouldn't be able to cover. I know some people will say save up for the AI, but that is not in the cards due to budget and time. The other kicker for me is that Hornady Match 6.5 is almost as much as Black Hills 77gr 5.56 OTM (Mk262). What do you all think, have two good guns or have one great gun?

Will it be a match gun or just another long range toy? Having the SPR around will keep your options open for different competitions. The AI rifles are very nice, and have features that make them well worth the price. Unless you plan on running your rifle hard and wanting top notch everything, consider the cost.

Having a nice rifle without nice glass on top is like putting 87 octane in a F1 car. Will it work? Yes. Will it work to the system's full potential? Absolutely not. Before dropping north of $4k on the AI, make sure you are ready to set it up correctly with high quality optics and mounts.

As far as the savage goes, the LRP would be a great option for off the bench/prone, but not so good for a match rifle. Decide what the 6.5 will be used for, then choose a route to take. The perks of savage is buying a cheaper rifle and swapping the barrel yourself for one of your liking.

Just my .02, take it or leave it.

Everyone WANTS an AI, but few actually use an AI in the situations/conditions that separate them from well built R700 pattern rifles.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to glass, I have pre-ordered a Vortex Gen2 and that will go on which ever rifle I choose. I have only touched into the match world, but that is the intent on this 6.5 rifle. Also when buying gear, I have a tendency to be in the "buy once cry once" camp. That is another reason why I am thinking of selling the SPR, to get one of the best match rifles around and not have to deal with upgrading the Savage as I go.

If it were me, I would sell the SPR (even though I HATE selling guns) and buy the new AI AT. Have a 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and top it with that new Vortex Razor and not look back. The ease of changing barrels on the AT is just very handy and with those two calibers you can do most anything except ELR work. Oh and start reloading

Why not have a custom rifle built?

Robert Snyder has a 6.5CM ready to go on his website for $2,800. I guarantee it will shoot because I have two of his rifles.

6.5 Creedmoor | RW Snyder Gunsmithing

For the difference in cost over the AI, you could afford an awful lot of match ammo or reloading components/setup.

Do you reload? If not it might make sense to hang onto the SPR for cheaper match ammo. I personally hate reloading .233 vs .308 or other larger calibers. That reason alone led me to selling my SPR

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. In regards to glass, I have pre-ordered a Vortex Gen2 and that will go on which ever rifle I choose. I have only touched into the match world, but that is the intent on this 6.5 rifle. Also when buying gear, I have a tendency to be in the "buy once cry once" camp. That is another reason why I am thinking of selling the SPR, to get one of the best match rifles around and not have to deal with upgrading the Savage as I go.

I picked up an AE MKIII several months ago. It is the bulletproof solution, and crazy accurate. Definitely a buy once-cry once setup. I bought mine with the same intention...go to matches. However, be sure to consider that it is one heavy ass rifle. With a 24 inch barrel I'm pushing at least 19lbs. If you're physically fit, it won't be a major issue, but at least something to consider.

Also, get the AT as Bear24 said...you'll make up the difference in price in no time since you won't have to buy the equipment to do barrel swaps or pay a gunsmith to do the barrel swap for you. Also, when looking at pricing, remember that Mile High gives a 5% discount to all 'Hide members!

Well I decided. I placed a call to Euro Optic and got their last AE Mk III in 6.5. The AT is a great system, but for my needs the AE will do me just fine. Especially when you talk about the cost difference between the two to get the AT set up for 6.5. Thanks for all the input guys and I can’t wait to get my new rifle. Now we need vortex to release the Razor Gen II’s…