• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My Experience with the Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600

Shady_Jay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2006
We’ve had the opportunity to review the New Bushnell Fusion LRF. I’ve got to say it is pretty impressive. The LRF can be programmed to match the ballistic characteristic of the projectile you are shooting. It then gives you a correction in the units you select (I selected MOA) versus the angle you are shooting. It is a neat concept but I really couldn’t put it to test since everything in Dallas is flat as a board. It also has a targeting and brush mode that works great.

P1010360.jpg

On the first day I stepped outside to see what would happen. The red rectangle in the below picture is outlining a scaffold microwave tower that it read at 1238 yards. I have ranged it several times with the same results. I have also let several others range that tower with the same results so it wasn’t a fluke.

lrf6.jpg

I ranged the water tower from where I am standing in this picture. Granted, it is a huge water tower, but the wide part of the tower ranged at 1836 yards (over a mile) and the thinner column of the tower ranged at 1845 yards. I have driven to this spot several time and ranged it again with the same results.

P1010357.jpg

Last week I had the pleasure of training with CPT Gray Us Army Cavalry at one of my ranges. We used the Bushnell Fusion extensively during our training. The conditions were overcast with rain. The first thing that was ranged was the far center mass flapper target. In the rain it read 760 yards instantly. The small red circle shows the location of the target.

lrf1.jpg

LRF2.jpg

P1010347.jpg

We decided to walk it back. Here you can see the small red circle surrounding the target through the tree line. I was in normal mode and the LRF read the distance as 201 yards because of the interference from the tree line. I switched to Brush Mode and it instantly read the distance as 956 yards. CPT Gray had the same results.

lrf4.jpg

I handed the LRF to CPT Gray to see what he could do with them. So we walked all the way down the road and he was able to punch through the brush and read the same target at 1093 yards.

lrf5.jpg

I think these are great LRFs at a fraction of the cost of similar laser range finding binoculars. The only complaint I have is that the readout is a little hard to see in bright light. I keep it on the highest setting to help with this. I think it would be a good move on Bushnell too to come up with a cradle so the LRF can be mounted on a tripod. Other than that, I'm extremely impressed. This is good gear.

Holler at me if you are local and want to try these before you buy them.

Re: My Experience with the Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600

What is the farthest that anyone has ranged a non-reflective target, i.e. cow, deer with these?

CKA,

WOW!! That is indeed very impressive performance, and a well thought out test regimen. Thanks for a great post.

Looks like these will be in even more demand. That LRF just flat out performs. Even more than I thought possible.

Scott

Sweeet im going to buy a pair soon
laugh.gif

Thanks for the write up mate much much appreciated

yeah I was just blown out of the water with them. I told the CPT, "Here, you take'em and see what you can do. No one is gonna believe this shit, man".

NoMag has a pair of them here in the McKinney area and he is getting similar results.

Great to hear. I have been looking into these.

EDIT - Do the binos have a lock on them so you can set them to the width of your eyes so your not trying to find the sweet spot? I cant remember if it was the Vortex's that do that or these.

Thanks

there isn't a lock on them that I am aware of, GG

RJ, the display is lit and you can see it at night easily

CKA,

You didn't happen to range any tree/bush or anything or that sort did you? I often find that if I can't hit the specific target with my leica's that I can hit a nearby tree/bush.

Impressive results, didn't figure they would do that well.

Have to agree with the reports of the unit surprising on the upside.

I will be taking the unit hunting in the last week of July, and will report back afterwards on usability in long-range hunting situations (ie smallish, non-reflective targets at long range from fairly flat positions)

How do these fare as binoculars...
Would you feel comfortable using them for the day to locate game?

Thanks

I didn't attempt to range bushes and so forth. I didn't think about it. I can this weekend when I am back out there and let you know.

The binos have clear glass on par with my Steiners. I would use them for locating game without hesitation.

Nice review Josh! That's a great idea too about adding the tripod feature too. Good stuff, keep it coming.

We have these in-stock right now, and we really like them.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these fare as binoculars...

Thanks</div></div>

O yes, no problem to use them for locating game. They are not Leica or Swarovski top of the line glass, but I put the quality of the glass easily on par with my pair of Nikon 10x42 Monarchs - crisp edge to edge and nicely bright.

Only slightly odd issue if you interchange between the Bushnell 1600 and normal binocs is the slightly blue tint on the Bushnell - theory seems to be that it might be some filter to help protect the viewers eyes against reflected laser beams. Not noticeable if you only use the Bushnell though - very subtle.

So I've been wanting a range finder, but these being bino's seems nice as I've been wanting a quality set of bino's too. So is this a better option to get over a laser range finder? Or is there any advantage to the range finder over these?

That makes them an even better option for me, thanks for the response.

I'll rig some kind of holder rigged up this week and take some pictures through them this weekend to post for you.

Like the Capt said I have a set of these also and they f-ing ROCK!! I will be using them in two weeks on a free range axis hunt and will know much more about hunting with the bino's then but so far I am EXTREMELY happy with the performance.

Later,
NOmag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these fare as binoculars...

Thanks</div></div>
That would depend on the game & country. For high desert mulies or elk, no hand-held 10X binoculars are going to cut it for serious glassing. Image stabilized or tripod mounted binoculars of 15X or higher is what rules in this kind of country. That said, I have tentatively replaced my Leica 7x42’s & LRF with the ARC 1600 for use while getting to and from glassing locations and during stalks. Not having to fuss with two pieces of gear while crawling around more than outweighs the slight degradation in optical performance.

One of the features I really like about the ARC 1600 is the lens covers. They are the best I have seen to date; quiet, easy to get out of the way & permanently attached. It is obvious Bushnell put some effort into these.

Cheers,

DC

Anyone want to add to this?? Going to place an order in the AM. Thanks for the review CKA!

Imformation travels fast in the internet forum age. These are exploding in popularity and there is a 6 week backorder for us.

We'll grab all we can, but this product really seems to WORK from Bushnell.

Scott

With these being 10x can you really hold them steady for an extended period of time? Is the weight a factor? They look great and have read about them but would like to hear an answer from someone who actually has a pair and uses them. Thanks for the informative review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With these being 10x can you really hold them steady for an extended period of time? Is the weight a factor? They look great and have read about them but would like to hear an answer from someone who actually has a pair and uses them. Thanks for the informative review.</div></div> Our elk season opens in two weeks, so with a little luck you will have a field report or two before too long. As Scott noted, word travels fast and these are likely to be hard to find this year.

Regards,

DC

Glad to hear all of the ongoing positive comments here. I've got a pair of Fusions on order which hopefully should show up this coming week. If they work out, they will be replacing my hunting optics, a combination of 15 year old Swaro SLC 7x42 and a Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC rangefinder. Really like the idea of glassing and ranging at the same time, and having the RainGuard coating. Weight is the same as my SLCs. Also, I'm thinking the glass in the Fusions with their modern coatings should be pretty comparable to the glass in my old style SLCs. Anybody know if that will be the case or not?

What is the weight like?

I was on a long stalk on the weekend, and had a pair of my mates binos on a strap around my neck. I really started to wish I hadnt taken them by the middle of the day. Even though I had my rifle in a biathlon sling, i just felt annoyed by this weight around me... But it got me thinking, I wonder how big these bushnells are and how heavy they are.

Do they come with a carry strap? If so is it nice and padded or just crappy?

One things for sure, I decent jacket with a large enough pocket would certainly make life easier when Im sick of having binos hanging around my neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the weight like?</div></div>

They are listed at 31 ounces. My 7x42 SLCs weight 31 or 32 ounces, so I'm used to it. I use the padded Swarovski neck strap, which is pretty nice, and the SLCs are comfortable to carry. A harness like a bino-buddy would help if you don't care for that much weight. I've used one before and it puts the weight on your shoulders instead of around your neck. Another option for you.

It is actually a nice padded strap that it came with.

look at the top pic at the upper right, you can kinda see where the padded nubs start along the strap.

All I can I was really impressed with Bushnell LRF Binos, the glass is way better than I expected, in the past I have used Bushnells LRF and the glass was so dark they wouldn't range worth a dam, these ARC 1600s don't have any of those problems, I was able to consistently range a house in the bright TEXAS sun at 1689 yards, and two telephone poles while braced at 968 and 1145 yards, my Leica 1200 Scan wouldn't do nothing beyond 700. Now I do have one compaint, the display was very dim\faint\whatever and hard to see, at first, once my brain was trained it wasn't as bad, but after using the Leica for 4 years it is something Bushnell needs to fix. I have said this before, Bushnell has made great strides to improve there brand name, there products are never going to be tier 1, but when you factor price in comparison to those products Bushnell is dam good gear.

What is the function of the two red buttons on top? More specifically which one activates the ranging laser?

the RH one activates LRF, LH is the mode, bow\rifle.... and setup, also note the lense caps are very quality as is the padded strap

I bagged a yearling cow elk (368 yard shot - double lung hit) about a mile from the house yesterday morning. The ARC 1600 worked just fine. The only thing I noted was that the objective lens covers are attached to the barrel with only what is essentially a rubber band friction loop. In my opinion it is too easy to flip the entire cover completely off when not looking (like while watching a herd of elk). I am still contemplating a field expedient modification (duct tape comes to mind) to make losing the lens covers less likely.
Cheers,

DC

I have been playing with the various modes available with the ARC 1600's and offer the following observations:
For the holdover data available in the ‘rifle’ mode the operators’ manual directs the owner to the Bushnell web site to see the ballistics tables which correspond to the different load profiles available. The good news is Bushnell has finally gotten around to putting the ballistics button on their web page; the bad news is it is completely unpopulated, i.e. no data. So it is really tough to say just how close their ballistic profiles are to the real world. For hunting I have decided to just leave the binocs in the 'bow' mode which gives both the slant and horizontal range to the target. Then I just use the come-up for the horizontal range in the event I find myself having to shoot up or down at a significant angle.

Food for thought...

DC

Thanks to all who have provided first hand reports on this LRF.

I thought I was settled on Leica or Swaro until I started reading here.

I received mine about two weeks ago. I agree with everything said so far. I did a side-by-side comparison with a Leica Geovid. Aside from a slightly blue tint, during daytime, there was no perceptible quality difference in clarity / brightness.

I did not do a dusk/dawn test, and suspect that is where glass quality differences will become apparent.

Since nobody has mentioned it so far, it is made in Japan, not China. That probably accounts for the superior quality.

--Rootshot

Thats why these things are so good for the price. They are Japanese optics.

I have previously posted my testing against a few more pricey brands.

After good hit outs i cannot fault these. Really well priced and great optics for the $. The RF is just amazing at what it ranges consitantly.

The rep hooked me up with his own demo unit. Otherwise I had a 6 week wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received mine about two weeks ago. I agree with everything said so far. I did a side-by-side comparison with a Leica Geovid. Aside from a slightly blue tint, during daytime, there was no perceptible quality difference in clarity / brightness.

I did not do a dusk/dawn test, and suspect that is where glass quality differences will become apparent.</div></div>

Just did a side by side comparison with the Bushnell ARC Fusion 1600, the Leupold Gold Ring HD(bino only), and the Leica Geovid(the old one, not the new ED Glass one).
First off the Fusion's range finder was very good, ranging all the same stuff as the Leica, with the added features and adjustable brightness in the reticle.
As far as the glass goes, these are on par with other $300-$400 Japanese Binos. They really are not in the same league as the Leicas or even the Leupolds. Looking deep into the dark brush, the Bushnells are the first to lose resolution and contrast. The difference is definitely noticeable. The Leicas had the best resolution and contrast, while the HD Leupolds had better color fidelity.
Also the Bushnells had a smaller focal range then the others, and it was harder to find a sweet spot focusing between the two adjustable eyepieces and the main focus, leading to some questions about eyestrain.
I think the Bushnells are a good product at this price point, as long as it is understood that they are a great range finder with a pretty good set of binoculars. For hunting that requires a lot of glassing these might not be the best choice, but for ranging long targets in the daytime, then this looks like a good deal.

Fusion 1600 ARC - A little side note on the ARC specifications. The reviewer made no mention. The ARC calculation, or the cosine of the vertical angle is very cleverly buried in the manual. Buyers should not misunderstand the arc calculations maximum range. It does not even work at 1000 yards.