• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition My F/TR Re-Do

BillCh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post.

I got my F/TR, .308 Win., in early spring 2010. By late fall of 2011 I'd put about 3000 rounds through it. I decided to put a new aftermarket barrel on it. I used the action as a donor for my 6.5-08 Imp. build anyway. Not only would I be getting a new barrel, but a new single shot target action as well. I was finding that I really missed the old F/TR. The original F/TR stock was never a looker as far as I was concerned. The grey just wasn't getting it done for me.

Here it is when it was new back in the late spring, 2010.
The scope is a NF NXS 5.5-22 50mm, Mil, Mil with an EGW 20 MOA pic rail and HD rings.
TR.jpg

This is what it looks like now. I replaced the factory 'lump' cheek rest with a Karstin. The barrel is a Brux 1 in 12 twist, fluted, and finished to just a tad over 30 inches. It's the same contour as the Savage factory barrel. I bought a 2011 Fullbore reamer for the barrel from PT&G. It was a coin toss for me as to which reamer, the Palma '95 or this one. I've got both so if this doesn't work out I'll take it back to the gunsmith and have it rechambered. I upgraded the scope to a NF NXS 12-42 56mm, NP-R1, 1/8 MOA. The EGW rail has been shortened for barrel nut access and bedded to the action. The bi-pod is from Sinclair.
I am not much of a woodworker, or painter for that mater. The paint I used was Rust-Oleum enamel. I mixed equal parts gloss royal blue and hunter green. Then I added thinner to get the consistency of regular wood stain. The original finish was taken down a bit so the new stain would take. After two coats of the stain, I applied three coats of outdoor spar urethane. After about a week, and a stack of sand paper and a pile of steel wool, it was as good as it was going to get.
All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out, and really happy to have my .308 F/TR back.

B

IMG_1368.jpg

Rounds 36 through 40 out of the new barrel. I'm thinking it'll tighten up as it gets broken in.
FTR175MK200-1.jpg