• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My final recuperation Victory! Its vintage!

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    @rth1800 says my Lyman WS rear peep sight is totally inadequate for my Win Model 70 heavy barrel....

PC228364.JPG

So I have been on the hunt.

With mucho time to spare sitting on beaches, at pools, in the kitchen drinking coffee, recuperating from the almost life ending experience of having my appendix ripped from my body by a surgeon I have been looking for a WHS sight to make my self adequate in the eyes of the good dentist.

Tonight......I achieved victory......

Anyone looking for a standard Lyman 48 WS for a Model 70, PM me.

I have a minty 48WS on my rifle that will soon be replaced with this fat barrel version.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

@rth1800 says my Lyman WS rear peep sight is totally inadequate for my Win Model 70 heavy barrel....

View attachment 7118381

So I have been on the hunt.

With mucho time to spare sitting on beaches, at pools, in the kitchen drinking coffee, recuperating from the almost life ending experience of having my appendix ripped from my body by a surgeon I have been looking for a WHS sight to make my self adequate in the eyes of the good dentist.

Tonight......I achieved victory......

View attachment 7118383

View attachment 7118384

View attachment 7118385

Anyone looking for a standard Lyman 48 WS for a Model 70, PM me.

I have a minty 48WS on my rifle that will soon be replaced with this fat barrel version.

View attachment 7118387

View attachment 7118388
    Congratulations on the victory and the recovery.

Those Lyman’s are nice I have them on 2 Springfield 03A3s
    Reminds me I need to search out some small parts for one, the little tab that marks the elevation line someone home made a tab at some point.
    Sadly I don’t have or know of someone needing one for a 70.

Congratulations on the victory and the recovery.

Those Lyman’s are nice I have them on 2 Springfield 03A3s
    Reminds me I need to search out some small parts for one, the little tab that marks the elevation line someone home made a tab at some point.
    Sadly I don’t have or know of someone needing one for a 70.

That little zero flag is often available on Ebay.....Ive seen a few there....

Reactions: LngRngShtr
    Looks great.
    I will look for a flag tonight.
    Your sight is a pre war version. OK for your rifle. It is harder to source than the 50's versions.
    Very nice set up.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Got my WH sight delivered. Its in great shape for its age.....wish we could all say similar.

P8038747.JPG

I tried to mount this sight on my rifle this week.

Ran into a problem.

Despite being new built the screws mounting the present sight on the receiver wont break free. I snapped a Borka tool bit trying to remove the Lyman screws.

I hope the smith didnt use some super Loc-Tite but in probably a worse situation the freshly blued receiver may have "bluing salt rusted" up the present screws.

Looking fro suggestion to remove - heat (how to apply - soldering iron tip or flame), Kroil etc.

Some have expressed interest in my WS sights.

Word of caution.....

A. Because the sight is not removing as easy as I hoped, and the fact my Redfield rings are too low for me to mount my Leupold M40 replica scope Im in no hurry to swap the sights over.

My apologies fro my laziness.

B. Looking at my WS sights they are in about as close to NOS condition you can find. I paid +/- $265 when I bought them on Ebay...a fit of passion during my lust to get this rifle built - My heart over rode reason.....so I thought but looking at recent auctions lesser condition WS sights are going for that same money.

Though I was willing to pay that kind of money for these I feel bad asking it but it is what it is.