• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first 260 and build class with Joe Collier!

PatrickChewing

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 28, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    After alot of parts hunting, I finally made it to Millen,Ga to attend a build class with Joe Collier. I was there for four days and it was a wonderful experience. I can't thank Joe Collier and his wife enough for their hospitality and attention to detail when it comes to rifle building.

Ok, here are the specs:
    260 Remington
    Surgeon 591 short action
    Surgeon bottom metal
    APA bolt knob
    Huber 2 stage trigger
    McMillan A3 adjustable stock (50% tan, 25% OD green, 25% red)
    Bartlein MTU contour barrel 8 twist finished at 26
    Surefire brake for my 762SS
    Badger rings
    Premier 5-25 Gen2XR
    All metal work finished in Collier Green

DSC_0082-1.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0164-1.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

Even Mr. Gradous showed up!
    DSC_0262.jpg

Here is Joe Collier with the finished product.
    DSC_0268.jpg

Not too bad for initial load workup. My shooting is lackluster at best!
    photo-1.jpg

I got most of the parts here on the Hide (from individuals and Hide sponsors) and I thank everyone for that. Thanks to all the members that post on here that helped me choose what I thought were the best parts for this build.

Thanks for looking and feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm still going through the 500+ pictures I took and I will post more later.

Clay

Re: My first 260 and build class with Joe Collier!

Hey Patrick, this is Blaine.. We met at Colliers shop.. Rifle turned out great and it looks to be a shooter. Congrats on the build.

Thanks Blaine. It was great to meet everyone. Getting the rifle done was just part of the fun!

after talking with you, I went ahead a jumped on a good deal for vortex razor.. i should have it this monday. Im really looking forward to getting out and using it.

You will love it. I also heard through the grapevine that you got that McMillan stock! Great choice!

Clay,

Congrats on the fine build, it sure looks like a shooter!! Them Georgia boys really know how to build rifles !! I look forward to heading back down there at the end of the year..

Bob

haha, ya i was able to sell off that pss stock. this started as a budget build but has quickly become not so budget.. i might as well just rebarrel it and have a complete custom gun, but im eager to see how that barrel shoots before i make any decisions.

The most important guy is the one sitting down drinking a beer. That's what I'm talking about!

Very good looking rifle, love the stock and colors.

I have shot against several of Joe's rifles. They are <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> accurate. Even with old farts pulling the trigger.
    grin.gif

Joe is the man! I have several of his rifles and they are all hammers. Great looking rig , I know you will enjoy it.

Clay,

that is a badass ride you have. I would say that the chance to watch them build it would be priceless!!!

Congrats on the fine build, it sure looks like a shooter!! Them Georgia boys really know how to build rifles !! .... Isaac

Clay, the rig looks awesome. It also adds a little something, when you can watch the pieces of the puzzle forming, doesn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hombre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clay,

that is a badass ride you have. I would say that the chance to watch them build it would be priceless!!! </div></div>

Yea. It was alot of fun. It looks like both of our 260s love the Berger VLDs!

Perfectly spec'd rig!!! Looks like you aint too shabby on pressin that trigger either. Cant wait for ya to put her through the paces. See you shortly. Congrats again!! Proud for ya bro.

Looks like an awesome rifle, has to be even better being involved in the build! I had the pleasure of having Joe barrel an action for me and do the stock work, the rifle shoots great!. Joe was outstanding to deal with, went over and above and even faster delivery than he quoted me.

Jason,
    Can't wait to come stretch the legs of the Vanilla Gorilla with ya. Are you going to buy me a giant piece of cake like you did in Cookeville?

PS: I have already bought 7-08 brass to neck down and Berger bullets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike4045</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like an awesome rifle, has to be even better being involved in the build! I had the pleasure of having Joe barrel an action for me and do the stock work, the rifle shoots great!. Joe was outstanding to deal with, went over and above and even faster delivery than he quoted me. </div></div>

Mike,
    Joe's place gets crazy sometimes but he gave me 100% of his attention. He offered me tons of options and always offered to do more to make me happy. It's no wonder that he is as busy as he is!

That is awesome,

I met Joe when I was down doing the Robert Gradous Class, we all enjoyed some Waffle House breakfast as he lent use some AI skins while mine were drying.

Looks like an excellent time, glad guys are stepping up and doing this.

When you consider the wait for a Precision Rifle, going and building your own and leaving with it is awesome.

Well said Lowlight. Every morning started early at the waffle house. I even got to go to Dairy Queen with Joe, his wife, and Robert.

Attending this class opened my eyes to the time and attention to detail it takes to go from a pile of parts to a setup that really performs. I really had no idea.

For anyone that is thinking about participating in a class like this, DO IT. The rifle that you build is really just a bonus.

I didn't know anyone did this. This looks like a lot of fun, really educational and you end up with a killer rifle to boot!

Great looking rifle Clay. You should bring it out on 9-15 and shoot it to 700 with us.

The rifle looks awesome. I spoke with Robert this afternoon. I'm going to take his class for my next rifle build.