• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First AR (long range rig) w/ pics.

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
Well I finally got the base of my long range AR setup!
IMG_1547.jpg

the rifle is a bastard child with a rock river arms lower and a stag arms upper.
IMG_1548.jpg

this rifle has a 24" SS heavy BBL chambered in 5.56 NATO. it has a low profile gas block and a hogue free float hand guard.

2010-07-27T20-56-29.jpg

2010-07-27T20-56-49.jpg

2010-07-27T20-57-05.jpg

the Caldwell bipod is temporary until my Harris comes in.

there are a few minor things on my todo list to finish up my rig:

1. replace trigger with two stage match trigger
2.replace pistol grip with a more ergonomic option
3.install a new charging handle for easier use with scope
4.better quality glass
5. new bipod and sling

over all i am happy with it right now and on its 1st trip i was ringing steel at 300yds!

Re: My First AR (long range rig) w/ pics.

looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting

Well my friend gave me 400 rounds of wolf and 100 rounds of M885 Penetrator 5.56. so i decided to use the cheap ammo to break in my barrel and then just for plinking with. got an order of quality .223 on the way right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting </div></div>
What is wrong with wolf for plinking?

Oh yes sorry about the post above I left your sweet plinking machine out. Nice rifle and have fun shooting!

you must be a very small person to shoot from a shortbed like that....
smile.gif
nice rifle. enjoy it!

nah when i was shooting i placed the bipod onto the tailgate and my legs were spread across the bed and i just barely fit. i'm 6' 5" so it was interesting lol

So does anyone have any ideas, pointers, or recommendations on what i need to do to smooth this rifle out into a long range rig?

Not that I'm an expert, but it seems to me your to-do list will square you up. Trigger/glass and lots of ammunition. One can never spend too much money on a quality trigger and good glass. I often shoot from the back of a truck but only when the weeds are too high. With the grass cut so low I would belly down in the dirt and get that prone technique dialed in. When you load up the bi-pod it may slide on your bedliner. With that 24" barrel you can actually reach out near 1000yards with a nice heavy round (Hornady 75gr BTHP).

Nice rig...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does anyone have any ideas, pointers, or recommendations on what i need to do to smooth this rifle out into a long range rig?
</div></div>

Go to the SH Gunsmithing section and read my HOW-TO's for slicking up AR's. Start at #1 a page or two back.

I'm 6' and find that I never use the shorter options on my m4 stock. I'm switching to a regular old A2 stock. Need the extra inch in LOP.

hellbender I am currently in the process of doing a few of your changes now and russellmn I am saving to get a magpull prs stoc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hellbender I am currently in the process of doing a few of your changes now and russellmn I am saving to get a magpull prs stoc
</div></div>

Nice rifle.
You will like the PRS,it was one of the 1st things i picked up when planning my last AR build.
Not to highjack,but here is the latest one.
VMatch2.sized.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting </div></div>
What is wrong with wolf for plinking? </div></div>

Wolf is baaaadddd for barrels. Steel jacketed bullets with a very thin copper coating. Steel on Steel= bad..

I think the Highpower guys will agree which is who I learned this from, but the PRS will not allow you to cheek the rifle far enough forward to get your cheek weld where it should be. I found that to be true. A simple A2 works superbly with the right rings/base. If its too low, add a Karsten. Also, the PRS dumps too much weight in the wrong place.
Unless the wind is absolutely still, it moves the truck, but I know sometimes the grass is too friggin high to be on the ground.
frown.gif

I love the PRS stock, allows me to easily adjust for different shooting position or when I wear a few extra layers in winter.
A monopod from Accu Shot is a nice addition to the PRS

Since you will be shooting from a bipod, balance will not be a factor.

Get a Geissele match trigger and get your hands on some 75 BTHP.

I found lots of valuable info and loads in the book "Black Magic" by John Feamster
Enjoy your rifle, the AR is a great toy!
smile.gif