My First AR (long range rig) w/ pics.

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Well I finally got the base of my long range AR setup!
IMG_1547.jpg

the rifle is a bastard child with a rock river arms lower and a stag arms upper.
IMG_1548.jpg

this rifle has a 24" SS heavy BBL chambered in 5.56 NATO. it has a low profile gas block and a hogue free float hand guard.

2010-07-27T20-56-29.jpg

2010-07-27T20-56-49.jpg

2010-07-27T20-57-05.jpg

the Caldwell bipod is temporary until my Harris comes in.

there are a few minor things on my todo list to finish up my rig:

1. replace trigger with two stage match trigger
2.replace pistol grip with a more ergonomic option
3.install a new charging handle for easier use with scope
4.better quality glass
5. new bipod and sling

over all i am happy with it right now and on its 1st trip i was ringing steel at 300yds!

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
Re: My First AR (long range rig) w/ pics.

looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman

Well my friend gave me 400 rounds of wolf and 100 rounds of M885 Penetrator 5.56. so i decided to use the cheap ammo to break in my barrel and then just for plinking with. got an order of quality .223 on the way right now.

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting </div></div>
    What is wrong with wolf for plinking?

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington

Oh yes sorry about the post above I left your sweet plinking machine out. Nice rifle and have fun shooting!

hoguer

The Dude
    Minuteman
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Valley, CA

you must be a very small person to shoot from a shortbed like that....
    smile.gif
    nice rifle. enjoy it!

Jasonbu

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 13, 2006
    Pleasant Plains, Illinois

Not that I'm an expert, but it seems to me your to-do list will square you up. Trigger/glass and lots of ammunition. One can never spend too much money on a quality trigger and good glass. I often shoot from the back of a truck but only when the weeds are too high. With the grass cut so low I would belly down in the dirt and get that prone technique dialed in. When you load up the bi-pod it may slide on your bedliner. With that 24" barrel you can actually reach out near 1000yards with a nice heavy round (Hornady 75gr BTHP).

Nice rig...

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 23, 2008
    Lebanon, Missouri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does anyone have any ideas, pointers, or recommendations on what i need to do to smooth this rifle out into a long range rig?
    </div></div>

Go to the SH Gunsmithing section and read my HOW-TO's for slicking up AR's. Start at #1 a page or two back.

RockKrawler

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2009
    East of Portland,Oregon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hellbender I am currently in the process of doing a few of your changes now and russellmn I am saving to get a magpull prs stoc
    </div></div>

Nice rifle.
    You will like the PRS,it was one of the 1st things i picked up when planning my last AR build.
    Not to highjack,but here is the latest one.
    VMatch2.sized.jpg

Dirknar

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 9, 2006
    Spokane WA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like your putting some wolf down range. how did that work out i shoot some brown bear but try to stay away from it for about 80% of my shooting </div></div>
    What is wrong with wolf for plinking? </div></div>

Wolf is baaaadddd for barrels. Steel jacketed bullets with a very thin copper coating. Steel on Steel= bad..

Casey Simpson

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 2, 2008
    Louisiana

I think the Highpower guys will agree which is who I learned this from, but the PRS will not allow you to cheek the rifle far enough forward to get your cheek weld where it should be. I found that to be true. A simple A2 works superbly with the right rings/base. If its too low, add a Karsten. Also, the PRS dumps too much weight in the wrong place.
    Unless the wind is absolutely still, it moves the truck, but I know sometimes the grass is too friggin high to be on the ground.
    frown.gif

ssgp2

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 9, 2004
    montreal,Canada

I love the PRS stock, allows me to easily adjust for different shooting position or when I wear a few extra layers in winter.
    A monopod from Accu Shot is a nice addition to the PRS

Since you will be shooting from a bipod, balance will not be a factor.

Get a Geissele match trigger and get your hands on some 75 BTHP.

I found lots of valuable info and loads in the book "Black Magic" by John Feamster
    Enjoy your rifle, the AR is a great toy!
    smile.gif