• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My First AR: POF-415 in .223

warrenator

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2008
Ohio
Well I always thought the stoner system was interesting but I was hesitant to invest in a rifle that was direct gas impingement. The excellent ergonomics of the AR platform and vast number of accessories available to customize your rifle make it very appealing. However, IMHO the fact that the direct gas impingement system requires frequent cleaning and lubrication as well as allows excessive heat transfer were all draw backs. Another draw back is the typical lighter 556x45 round, so I decided to look for a rifle with a barrel with a quick twist rate to stabilize heavier rounds for improved accuracy and better stopping power.

Being a fan of the HK 90 series rifles I already have several rifles that shit where they eat; but with the delayed roller locking system unlike the AR reliability is not an issue unless you use tar sealed ammo.

I decided to look at different gas piston systems that had barrels with a quick twist rate and used AR mags since a gas piston rifle would not have many of the draw backs of direct gas impingement.

I narrowed my choice to two rifles the Sig 556 and the POF 415. I did a lot of research and I really like both rifles but ultimately I was so impressed by everything I read about the POF that I decided I had to have one. After pleading with my wife she was awesome enough to give me the go ahead to get a POF 415.

Link to Technical Info:
http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-18-11sx-223.htm

Over the Labor Day weekend we went to Cabela’s in Wheeling WV and I was very surprised to find that they had a couple of POF 415’s and a couple of Sig 556’s. I got a chance to examine both rifles up close and I am happy to say that thanks to my sweet wife I walked out with a brand new 18” POF 415 in 223/ 556x45 and 600 rounds of 55 grain Remington 223 for plinking. The rifle was $1,999.00 with no transfer fee.

I originally wanted a rifle with a 16” barrel but all Cabela's had in stock was the 18” version in 223. The 18" barrel should allow greater acuracy with heavier loads so I am glad that is what I ended up getting. They also had a 308 version with a 20" barrel.

I love the looks and ergonomics of this rifle. As I later found out Cabela's refer to these as the hunter configuration. It has tan upper and lower receivers with an OD grip, butt stock, and forearm. Note the green on these rifles matches the foliage green MAGPUL Pmags.

I ordered a Troy Industies HK style folding front sight and folding rear sight. I also ordered 10 foliage green MAGPUL Pmags with the round count window. The sights were $196.00 shiped Troy Industries was having a Labor day sale. I got the mags for $148.00 shiped.

[img:left]http://[/img]

[img:left][/img]

Re: My First AR: POF-415 in .223

Sounds like you got a good deal. I love mine and I am sure you will be 100% happy with yours.

Beautiful looking gun. I'm a few weeks away from getting my own POF (.308).

I own a Sig556 and love it as well. While looking at the specs I did notice that the POF weighed less with a longer barrel. My biggest complaint with the SIG is that it is a heavy gun (the classic swat anyways). But that's what you get when you get a piston gun with a stock quad rail!

that is a nice 100% american made bad ass weapon good choice! POF and LWRC are my two personal favs on the piston guns

18inch barrel same as the navys MK12 mod 0/1 SPR. Perfect Choice not to long not to short

Thanks for the comments guys. I can't wait to get this thing to the range.