• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My "first" bolt action (Rem 700 AAC-SD) pics!

CONUS_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2018
Alaska
Hey everyone!

I'm sure that the Rem 700 AAC-SD has been discussed at length so I won't ramble! Just wanted to show everyone my new rifle, which is my "first" bolt action. I did grow up with a hunting rifle (.270), but it was gifted to me. Built this to use as an Alaska brush rifle for hunting moose and caribou.

Specs:
Rem 700 Tactical AAC-SD
.308 heavy barrel
Leupold pic mount
Warne PA rings low
Athlon Optics 1-4x24 Talos BTR
Allen Bighorn sling
Bipod (not sure of brand anymore)

IMG_20181010_195723~2.jpg
IMG_20181010_195729~2.jpg
IMG_20181010_195742~2.jpg
IMG_20181010_195922~2.jpg

Nice looking rig. I started with the same. Shot well with reloads. Good place to cut your teeth

Reactions: CONUS_Reaper
Looks good! I still have mine... bought it years ago. Mine shoots great. Only thing i had done is LRI put a bolt Knob on it.

Looks good! I still have mine... bought it years ago. Mine shoots great. Only thing i had done is LRI put a bolt Knob on it.

I plan to do one of those aftermarket oversized bolt on knobs just to see how I like the feel of the larger knob.

To free float your barrel and gain some accuracy if you plan to keep in the hogue stock you can place shims under the action between the recoil lug and front action screw. You can make shims from a soda can. Stacking 4-5 strips should do it. Did this to mine and a couple of my buddies AAC-SD's and it improved accuracy immediately.

Nice setup, I have the same scope on my varmint hunting rig and it has held up well.

I'm happy to hear that because I've only been able to find a few really short or not a all detailed reviews. I am pretty rough on gear so I was hoping it'll last and stay zeroed.

To free float your barrel and gain some accuracy if you plan to keep in the hogue stock you can place shims under the action between the recoil lug and front action screw. You can make shims from a soda can. Stacking 4-5 strips should do it. Did this to mine and a couple of my buddies AAC-SD's and it improved accuracy immediately.

I had considered switching stocks and or bedding the barrel and action. But for me the reality is it's most likely never going to be used over 600m, and only on big game. So really sub MOA accuracy just isn't even worth the effort. The only thing I really see that I could gain from a new stock is maybe something a bit lighter as the Hogue seems pretty heavy.

I appreciate the advice though and will defenitely consider it if I get more serious about accuracy!