• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first custom build is all done!!!! for now.

Re: My first custom build is all done!!!! for now.

I think you're taking liberty with the term custom. By your definition if I drew a smiley face on the stock it's now "custom." When the term "custom" is used on this site in reference to a rifle it carries a completely different connotation than just modifying it to one's liking. When I click on a title saying "my first custom build" I expect more than just seeing a factory rifle with a barrel changed out. I expect to see custom components put together by a competent smith. I'm done arguing semantics on what is custom and what is not. In my eyes it's still a factory rifle with a couple of mods.

Nice stick. Glad you were able to put the barrel on yourself. That is what is fun about Savages. Some guys get all bummed out that they pay high$$$ for what Savages do out of the box. Take it with a grain of salt. All it is, is Ford vs. Chevy. Like I said, nice gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if you're feelings are hurt too.</div></div>

My feelings aren't hurt, and I'm not upset because you don't think my rifle deserves to be called "custom".

I'm just curious what your definition of "custom" is...a fair question given your position, no?

I think most folks, myself included, would call a GAP Rock a "custom" rifle...but looking at the spec sheet on GA Precision's website I see it is a Remington 700 action with an aftermarket barrel and stock.

So what makes a GAP Rock "custom", while any other rifle consisting of a factory action with aftermarket barrel & stock (such as the OP's) is not?

And frankly, who gives a damn if their rifle meets some disputed definition of "custom" if its a shooter and meets their needs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you're taking liberty with the term custom. By your definition if I drew a smiley face on the stock it's now "custom." When the term "custom" is used on this site in reference to a rifle it carries a completely different connotation than just modifying it to one's liking. <span style="font-weight: bold">When I click on a title saying "my first custom build" I expect more than just seeing a factory rifle with a barrel changed out. I expect to see custom components put together by a competent smith.</span> I'm done arguing semantics on what is custom and what is not. In my eyes it's still a factory rifle with a couple of mods. </div></div>

Reading comprehension is your friend.

I think maybe swage is a bit confused on what custom really is...i have been confused myself at times so its not a real big deal.

Custom-when referring to guns is picking out parts that are factory made out of the boxes. Trigger out of this box... barrel out of this box...stock out of this box...action out of this box. And putting them together to make a custom rifle. JUST like when I go to the salad bar and compile a salad of this and that. Standard ingredients that are then turned into a custom salad.

Damn...now I'm hungry.

And yes...technically if you put a smiley face sticker on your stock it is now a custom rifle. You have now customized your rifle to what you like...it now separates itself from other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I click on a title saying "my first custom build" I expect more than just seeing a factory rifle with a barrel changed out. I expect to see custom components put together by a competent smith.</div></div>

So I guess if I would have sent these parts out to someone like GAP and paid hundreds of dollars to have the work done it would be a custom build. If I had originally done this build on a Remington 700 action as planned I would have. But thanks to the Savage action I didn't have to. I don't believe a "competent" smith would have done anything different than I did. It was easy to do, it didn't blow up in my face and its an easy sub moa build.

Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive.

lol, play of words, nice...

but seriously, custom with a templar action would make gap custom wouldn't it, or is it not theirs either? wrong place, wrong time maybe... shout out to defiance, just looked it up

nice stick bro, either way, itll still get you dinner, and i like it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, play of words, nice...

but seriously, custom with a templar action would make gap custom wouldn't it, or is it not theirs either? wrong place, wrong time maybe...

nice stick bro, either way, itll still get you dinner, and i like it </div></div>

Play of words or not, it's still not a custom built rifle. What part of that dont you get? It's a MASS produced FACTORY rifle that had a barrel change. Are you keeping up with what I'm saying?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive. </div></div>

All the custom parts your referring to are <span style="color: #CC0000">mass produced</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive. </div></div>

All the custom parts your referring to are <span style="color: #CC0000">mass produced</span>. </div></div>

But they're not mass produced into a rifle. And they're produced to a higher quality control level than factory built products and use better materials. Let's not debate the quality of custom built parts to factory built parts. There's a reason a custom barrel takes 4 months to get if you order it from the manufacturer and costs more than half of much as a factory built rifle. You're grasping at straws at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive. </div></div>

All the custom parts your referring to are <span style="color: #CC0000">mass produced</span>. </div></div>

But they're not mass produced into a rifle. And they're produced to a higher quality control level than factory built products and use better materials. Let's not debate the quality of custom built parts to factory built parts. There's a reason a custom barrel takes 4 months to get if you order it from the manufacturer and costs more than half of much as a factory built rifle. You're grasping at straws at this point. </div></div>

LOL...There is no point in trying to argue with someone who's mind is made up even if they are wrong...just look at the last election.
I am done here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive. </div></div>

But they're not mass produced into a rifle. And they're produced to a higher quality control level than factory built products and use better materials. Let's not debate the quality of custom built parts to factory built parts. There's a reason a custom barrel takes 4 months to get if you order it from the manufacturer and costs more than half of much as a factory built rifle. You're grasping at straws at this point. </div></div>

LOL...There is no point in trying to argue with someone who's mind is made up even if they are wrong...just look at the last election.
I am done here. </div></div>

Hey..you know the rules. No political posts allowed.
smile.gif

Are those medium or low rings?

Thanks!

They are low rings on a badger rail. The scope just barely clears the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I'm not hating on your rifle. It's just not a "custom built" rifle. It's a mass produced rifle that you "customized." Period....end of debate. I dont consider a factory built rifle sent to GAP for a rebarrel a custom built rifle either. People buy what they want and can afford....I get it. I have have some older Savage rifles that belonged to my father. One I had rebarreled in .220 Swift. I dont consider it a "custom built" rifle. You said it was your first "custom build." It's not a custom build. It's a factory build that you "customized." Stop being so sensitive. </div></div>

So you changed the wording from custom, a nice rifle customized to the user, to "custom built," clever.

It seems that, in your opinion, the reason this isn't up to your custom standards is because he didn't spend an outrageous amount of money on a rifle based on the Rem 700 action. I'll be sure to request your honored opinion before I view any "custom" rifles in the future.

This is a good looking rifle that didn't look like that in the factory box

Its funny that if you buy a rifle from any major gunsmith with and a factory action, with all custom parts on it they sell it to you a custom. With a custom price. I have a full custom stiller action, abs carbon barrel, and all the goodies, and I have some on remy 700 and if they shoot they shoot.

Nice rifle some guys just want to feel cool.

As far as I'm concerned, if the rifle came that way, then its not custom. Obviously it didn't, so it is custom.

Remember, buying a stock car but changing the paint to a color that is not factory is still a custom paint job
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not going to argue semantics with you but according to webster, custom means "made or performed according to personal order". I did take a factory piece of equipment and modified it with off the shelf equipment to make it to my personal order. I didn't machine or manufacture any thing on this build, except for the bedding when I get around to it. Now since I would bet there are only a couple of rifles exactly like the one I have in the entire world, Im going to go out on a whim and say its made to personal order. But by your logic, other than the guys who machine their own guns from the ground up from bar stock and billets of steel, there isn't much custom work out there. GAP and other gun smiths around the world only modify stock factory parts. </div></div>

Amen compadre!!! You have a great gun.....enjoy the heck out of your custom rifle!

Swage....lighten up dude......must be hard for you living in such an imperfect world.