• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first ever 250 benchrest target score today

Blanco

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
Just wanted to share the good news that I got my first ever 250 benchrest target score today with my Anschutz 64 Benchrest rifle at 50 yards. I've only been shooting benchrest for one month since getting my new rifle and joining the local gun club, so this early achievement is very pleasing for me. I had 9 X scores, so I have a LONG way to go, but I'm having fun - GREAT fun!

Cordially,
Blanco

Re: My first ever 250 benchrest target score today

Are you using the "Green Monster" target?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you using the "Green Monster" target? </div></div>

I'm using the IBS 50 yard benchrest target with 4 sighting targets at the top and then 5 rows of 5 targets below that. Is that the "Green Monster"?

Cordially,
Blanco

Not quite, the Green Monster is this:

USBR_full.jpg

It's an exceptionally difficult target. I'm pretty sure it has never been cleaned but I very well could be wrong so don't take my word for it.

10's on everything. Absolutely no dropped points for a perfect score. Those targets look a lot like what I have used for 10m air rifle targets in the past. Highest I ever got was a 273/300 but that was prone, kneeling, and standing with peep sights. Great shooting, got a picture of your target?

"Cleaning" a target, means hitting all the bulls all the way through...

Or what is also called "clearing" a target.

DK

Blanco, Congrats. It's always gratifying to shoot well. I've always wanted an Anschutz but price has scared me away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A2DownRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blanco, Congrats. It's always gratifying to shoot well. I've always wanted an Anschutz but price has scared me away. </div></div>

Yeah, they aren't cheap. I just took early retirement and wanted to start a new hobby of benchrest shooting, so I joined the local gun club. My absolute outside budget for a benchrest rifle setup was $2,000. So, I did a lot of research and ended up with the new Anschutz 64 Benchrest rifle, a Weaver T36 scope, Anschutz rail and rings, and a Harrell tuner for a total investment of $1,950. I'm 100% happy with this combination for my type of shooting. Over the month that I've had the rifle, I've bedded it, tuned the barrel, and tested numerous ammo types. The ammo testing continues, and I also want to test for action torque variations in accuracy next.

Cordially,
Blanco

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10's on everything. Absolutely no dropped points for a perfect score. Those targets look a lot like what I have used for 10m air rifle targets in the past. Highest I ever got was a 273/300 but that was prone, kneeling, and standing with peep sights. Great shooting, got a picture of your target? </div></div>

No, nobody had a camera at the range yesterday, so I don't have a photograph yet. I'll try to get one of me holding the target soon.

Cordially,
Blanco

Just looked at the USBR web site. The current records for the three classes are,
Unlimited 247-9X
Custom 248-8X
Sporter 242-3X

My best score to date is a 242-3X. Shot a club match last weekend scored 238-4X Unlimited and 240-3X in Custom, both scores with the same gun. I have looked at the other rimfire BR targets and the USBR will be a difficult target to shoot clean.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulFreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looked at the USBR web site. The current records for the three classes are,
Unlimited 247-9X
Custom 248-8X
Sporter 242-3X

My best score to date is a 242-3X. Shot a club match last weekend scored 238-4X Unlimited and 240-3X in Custom, both scores with the same gun. I have looked at the other rimfire BR targets and the USBR will be a difficult target to shoot clean.

Paul, those are interesting numbers, and congratulations to you on some fine shooting too. I'm looking forward to trying that particular target in the future when the opportunity arises.

Cordially,
Blanco

Paul </div></div>

Paul, I'm sorry about goofing up that quote and reply!

Mea Culpa,
Blanco

I finally got a photo taken of the target and placed on Photobucket. As you can see, several of the shots just barely intersected the outer part of the ten ring, but a scoring gauge with magnifier confirmed them to be tens. My sighter group of five was 0.26", and the ammo was Eley Tenex.

Cordially,
Blanco

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m577...1009640x427.jpg