• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first full Duracoat job.

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
What do you think? I've had an airbrush from back when I ran nitro rc trucks and figured I'd start using it again.

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0044-1.jpg

Re: My first full Duracoat job.

Looks good!

Did you intend to group the black patterns together?

Not really. I kinda wanted groups of colors instead of just random colors all over. Then used the female stencils just where I thought it needed broke up or a hole filled.

Might sound like a dumbass question, did you just do the stock or the barrel/action also?

Im thinking of having a go myself...

Is Duracoat pretty hard wearing stuff???

Looks awesome. I wish I had that kinda skill. Good job

Thanks everyone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varminteruk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might sound like a dumbass question, did you just do the stock or the barrel/action also?

Im thinking of having a go myself...

Is Duracoat pretty hard wearing stuff???</div></div>

I did the barreled action and bipod in Magpul FDE and had AZ Precision Cerakote the entire bolt in OD green when I had the knob install done. The stock I did in the same Magpul FDE, matte black, and OD green. It's pretty durable but it's no Cerakote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good, do you plan on doing the scope?</div></div>

Thanks, Although it would look good, I honestly don't have the balls to paint my scope.

If I could do that nice of a job, I sure wouldn't be paying anyone to do the work. Keep up the nice work. Too bad you aren't near Portland, OR, and take side jobs...

Looks good Bro!! Looks like you had it professionally done!!

DK

Looks great...would you mind posting some close ups I'm curious how the edges look. Did you sand any of these down and spray with a ultra flat clear afterwards?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris19210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great...would you mind posting some close ups I'm curious how the edges look. Did you sand any of these down and spray with a ultra flat clear afterwards?

Thanks</div></div>

Here is the closest I could get without the pics coming out blurry as hell (cheap camera). The spot in the upper right corner was my test spot for the female stencils. I had to make a small L shaped piece of thick paper and shoot at an angle into the paper to keep from the over spray. It's underneath my stock pack so it doesn't show. I haven't sanded anything. But there is a very small ridge between colors. I haven't sprayed any clear. I might sand and clear later on.

DSCF00422.jpg

That is great looking. I am working up the courage try it for the first time myself.

Pyplynr,

Want to do mine?!?

Honestly, I like how the major colors are grouped together but broken up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pyplynr,

Want to do mine?!?

Honestly, I like how the major colors are grouped together but broken up.</div></div>

I think I'll have to pass. I don't mind taking a chance on screwing mine up. But other peoples stuff makes me nervous.

looks real good. did you make your own stencils, or use bulldogs flecktarn?

my mcm a3 had flecktarn on it as well, in about the same exact colors as yours. before i krylon'd over it. definitely one of the cooler camo's imo.

Looks good...doesn't seem to show the ridges much from looking at the edge on top of the stock. Might just touch up that one small spot and spray a couple clears and I'd say your as close to perfect as you need. Keep us posted after you spray the clear...let us know if it has any sheen to it or goes on truly flat like they clame.

Thanks pyplnr

Could you post some pics of how you cut the stencils and made them. Thats the part I always screw up on.

Very nice job.
Does Duracoat build up much ? Like does it gum up the slots in a weaver / Picatinny rail ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice job.
Does Duracoat build up much ? Like does it gum up the slots in a weaver / Picatinni rail ?
</div></div>

According to the instructions max thickness should be 1.5 mil. I don't think it will "gum up" anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris19210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question...Did you tape off your bedding job or paint over it?</div></div>

It's not bedded. Yet. It has the full aluminum bedding block in it.

Does anybody know the answer? Is it best to paint over your bedding or tape it off?

Thats why I was thinking but I wasn't sure how thick that stuff covers. Are yall baking yours afterwards or letting it air dry?

I painted the 1st color then let air dry until the next day. Then the next color and air dry. This used 3 colors so it took 3 days to do mine but I had plenty of time to do it.