• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision My first NV optic, a PVS-27

LOS

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2005
Just bought the PVS-27 from a hide member and it's in pristine, like new condition. Apparently less than 2 hours of use on the Tube. It came in it's factory padded soft case, ARD, Larue QD mount tool, light diffuser wrap, quick reference laminated pamphlets and the owner's manual. Everything is immaculate.

I cant waits to fire her up tonight. I also have a nice IR Laser/Illuminator coming tomorrow. The device will sit on the Raptar mount shown in the photos. I'll post a few more photos of the complete set-up, this weekend.

The USO B25 will be replaced with a shorter optic, which will place the 27's Lens further away from the muzzle. I won't fire the rifle with the 27 until the shorter scope is mounted. Will also get a Can.

If you have any experience, good or bad, with a 27 , I welcome your commentary.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos that I took in complete darkness. The rifle was placed in the garage aiming to the back yard fence. The distance from the rifle to the fence was measured just shy of 25 yards.

I put two boxes of 308 ammo side-by-side on the fence bracing to use them as the reference point for the photos. The Gain knob on the PVS27 was turned to a low setting, about a setting of 3 if we were to use a scale of 1 to 10.

The first pic was take at 5X, the other at 12X. I couldn't get a clean focus on the boxes of ammo because of the short distance.

The following photos were captured using my cell (IPhone 6?) phone and it was a real pain in the arse trying to get good shots. The photos do not represent the clarity or brightness that I saw through the optic. The view was Spectacular.

Pic1 taken at 5X.

Pic2 taken at 12X

Last edited:
Reactions: Evolution 9
The Raptar was delivered today so I mounted it and took a few photos. This thing comes with 2 owner's manuals, a mini CD and a booklet. It can be reconfigured and adjusted a million ways. The digital mode display on the back panel can be adjusted for brightness, as well. Here's the current setup as it sits today [subject to change. :)] ..

I love my PVS27. It is a little clunky, but does its job well. Very easy to focus compared to the PVS30 or the CNVD-LR. I have read that you set the parallax to infinity on your scope, then focus the PVS27, but in practice once I do that I have found that adjusting the parallax once the PVS27 is set gives me a slightly improved image.

My favorite thing about the unit is that it isn't sensitive to lining up with the scope behind it. I have shot it with a 1/4" - 1/3" height over bore difference with the scope using the same dope.

I would definitely get a can, and would honestly worry about using it on that gun until you do for several reasons:
1.) The flash from that muzzle brake could make the PVS27 auto gate.
2.) May through a bunch of carbon on to the lens and cleaning it is a recipe for scratches
3.) May not be an issue for you if you have your own property, but everyone is gonna know what you are doing without the can on the gun.
4.) Shooting subsonics with 308 or similar is a ton of fun and you will need the can for this.

I built an AR15 upper using a 16" Beyers 22 barrel and CMMG BCG. With standard velocity ammo, and suppressed, it shoots 1/4" groups at 50 yards. It is one of my favorite things to shoot at night at we regularly take it out to 280-300 yards on a 1/3 IPSC steel target (I think it's about 8" across) and can triple tap it before the first bullet hits. With the right wind call we can also hit a 3" plate at the same distance. I would highly recommend getting something like this because it allows you to go shoot almost anywhere at night and is a blast with the PVS27.

We do the same thing with 308 subsonic rounds.

Reactions: LOS
@NHPiper. Thank you for your comments and for sharing the valuable focusing tip. I’ll try that tonight and report my results.

I’m going to sell the USO B25 and use the funds to replace it with a shorter scope. I’m not going to fire the rifle with the PVS27 mounted on it until the scope issue is resolved. I will not risk damaging the 27.

I’m very impressed with the exceptional light gathering ability of the optic. It is a bit chunky but I can live with that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NHPiper
@NHPiper. Thank you for your comments and for sharing the valuable focusing tip. I’ll try that tonight and report my results.

I’m going to sell the USO B25 and use the funds to replace it with a shorter scope. I’m not going to fire the rifle with the PVS27 mounted on it until the scope issue is resolved. I will not risk damaging the 27.

I’m very impressed with the exceptional light gathering ability of the optic. It is a bit chunky but I can live with that. :)

Had the same length issue with a Steiner T5Xi. Switched to a Leupold Mk5 and Mk6, Bushnell XRS, etc. and had no issues.

Make sure you have something with an exact zero stop and solid way to track clicks on the turrets in complete dark.

Also, i put a SAP 2 round holder for 308/6.5 shells on the top of my unit. Great spot to store the batteries. And the multicam wrap from Notorium is badass.

Attachments

• D7B7B52C-FC17-4DC4-AD2E-537B4F90C25C.jpeg
    D7B7B52C-FC17-4DC4-AD2E-537B4F90C25C.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 167
  • 91032698-BE36-419E-B987-C7947AACAE38.jpeg
    91032698-BE36-419E-B987-C7947AACAE38.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 147
  • C76FE0EA-D793-43FA-8A78-61FC5072AAAC.jpeg
    C76FE0EA-D793-43FA-8A78-61FC5072AAAC.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 09EC8E4A-4A0D-4A43-A1A4-A8AD9C5490B2.jpeg
    09EC8E4A-4A0D-4A43-A1A4-A8AD9C5490B2.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 152
  • 70FD5C30-BAF0-4AB7-BD6D-B4ADEFC94292.jpeg
    70FD5C30-BAF0-4AB7-BD6D-B4ADEFC94292.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 171
I love my PVS27. It is a little clunky, but does its job well. Very easy to focus compared to the PVS30 or the CNVD-LR. I have read that you set the parallax to infinity on your scope, then focus the PVS27, but in practice once I do that I have found that adjusting the parallax once the PVS27 is set gives me a slightly improved image.

My favorite thing about the unit is that it isn't sensitive to lining up with the scope behind it. I have shot it with a 1/4" - 1/3" height over bore difference with the scope using the same dope.

I would definitely get a can, and would honestly worry about using it on that gun until you do for several reasons:
1.) The flash from that muzzle brake could make the PVS27 auto gate.
2.) May through a bunch of carbon on to the lens and cleaning it is a recipe for scratches
3.) May not be an issue for you if you have your own property, but everyone is gonna know what you are doing without the can on the gun.
4.) Shooting subsonics with 308 or similar is a ton of fun and you will need the can for this.

I built an AR15 upper using a 16" Beyers 22 barrel and CMMG BCG. With standard velocity ammo, and suppressed, it shoots 1/4" groups at 50 yards. It is one of my favorite things to shoot at night at we regularly take it out to 280-300 yards on a 1/3 IPSC steel target (I think it's about 8" across) and can triple tap it before the first bullet hits. With the right wind call we can also hit a 3" plate at the same distance. I would highly recommend getting something like this because it allows you to go shoot almost anywhere at night and is a blast with the PVS27.

We do the same thing with 308 subsonic rounds.

Agreed, an accurate, suppressed, 22 LR and clip-on NV play together like peanut butter and jelly. With a good illuminator, you can watch the bullets arcing into their final destination.

Agreed, an accurate, suppressed, 22 LR and clip-on NV play together like peanut butter and jelly. With a good illuminator, you can watch the bullets arcing into their final destination.
Yup! Even on a night with low light, at 300 yards you can see a 22 splash into sand without an illuminator.

Just bought the PVS-27 from a hide member and it's in pristine, like new condition. Apparently less than 2 hours of use on the Tube. It came in it's factory padded soft case, ARD, Larue QD mount tool, light diffuser wrap, quick reference laminated pamphlets and the owner's manual. Everything is immaculate.

I cant waits to fire her up tonight. I also have a nice IR Laser/Illuminator coming tomorrow. The device will sit on the Raptar mount shown in the photos. I'll post a few more photos of the complete set-up, this weekend.

The USO B25 will be replaced with a shorter optic, which will place the 27's Lens further away from the muzzle. I won't fire the rifle with the 27 until the shorter scope is mounted. Will also get a Can.

If you have any experience, good or bad, with a 27 , I welcome your commentary.

What type of mount is the 27 attached to? Looks like it interfaces with the spigot system

@Nik H

it’s the IMUNS mount, which replaces the factory spigot mount. Easy install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H
The Raptar was delivered today so I mounted it and took a few photos. This thing comes with 2 owner's manuals, a mini CD and a booklet. It can be reconfigured and adjusted a million ways. The digital mode display on the back panel can be adjusted for brightness, as well. Here's the current setup as it sits today [subject to change. :)] ..

Thanks for the mount information

Sorry for all of the questions but which RAPTAR is that. Looks nothing like mine. Looks like it has a flashlight of some sort on the one side

Last edited:
@Nik H

No worries, Sir. It's a RAPTAR ES Lite. It's the base unit. The range finder that comes on the S and ES models is substituted for the Surefire light.

I found a great deal on a brown Raptar so the black one will be sold. The difference between the units is that the black raptar comes with nice factory QD mount and matching black remote.

Nice set up, and I am jealous.

As already noted, running that close to muzzle with brake will be a issue. If you do, use a surefire flash hider, or equivalent, they really do a great job in eliminating flash. Quite a number of ways to address this. I think you have your plan though.

Measure if there is any deviation between the day and night optic on paper. I would do so every 6 months or so, depending on how rough you use the NVD.

IR flood mounting is best used near the front of your chassis. Your current mounting may cause shadowing, test it to be sure of the clearance of the objective housing

The 27 with white phos is also pretty sweet.

@8up
Thanks. Excellent advice on all levels. Oddly I’m only getting a [27 bell] shadow with the flashlight, not the IR flood. The laser beam is also unobstructed but I think the raptar is definitely coming off the top.

Mounted on the front side, If the raptors remote switch isn’t long enough I’ll have to rethink my illuminator situation.

I’m waiting on the Arken SH-4 to deliver next month. It’s a lot shorter than the B25 so my NV proximity to muzzle will be resolved at that juncture.

Last edited: