• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first reloading experience

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
Today I loaded my first 40 rounds of .308, my first time reloading ever. Read my manual, as well as asking questions on various forums. I am using a Lee Classic Turret Press with the pro autodisk (which I don't like so far). But I loaded 40 rounds with 175SMK HPBT, starting at 42gr of Varget, and increasing by .5 up to 44.5. Excited but also nervous to shoot these rounds for the first time.

I really like the Lee SS stuff. Always start off low and work up. Remember lot to lot powders very so one batch of Varget may be hotter then another. Enjoy it!

I remember the first reloading session, and I was nervous even though I spent 6 months "studying" and all the do's and don'ts of reloading prior to even having any equipment. I think having all the materials/equipment to second check every part of my reloading process calmed my nerves and after that first time shooting my own hand rolled ammo, I since became addicted and through time built a confidence in my ability to do it safely (I make sure I do not get complacent during my reloading sessions and make sure I have no distractions). I'm sure you may have a similar experience. I have the same press. I like it and have loaded many rounds with no issues. With that said I, like you used the pro auto disk with the double disk/riser and did not care for it. I could not get it to throw charges as accurately as I wanted. I have since added a RCBS 1500 Chargemaster, which I really like for my precision loading. I want my charges as close as I can to my desired test weight so I thought the the inaccuracies that I had with the pro auto disk was unacceptable for my purposes. IMO, if your bulk loading the Pro Auto disk may serve you well though.

Normal to be nervous. My first loads were pistol loads and I took my cheapest gun, shot left handed, and I'm pretty sure I closed my eyes on the first round. Your .308 work ups sound fine. I ended up at 44.5gr for my 175gr loads.

Don't go blowing your dick off, lol. 44.5 is kinda up there but shouldn't be a problem. With 155 scenars I would throw in 49 grains of Varget, you would hear a crunch as the bullet was seated, but then again that was 155 grain not 175.

Shit talk about nervous, try reloading 338, holy fuck!

Well welcome to reloading, I pop a beer and listen to the radio while I'm at it. Great way to relax. I just had a new bench built just for reloading gonna be stoked to start up again when I move into that new garage.

I remember the first reloading session, and I was nervous even though I spent 6 months "studying" and all the do's and don'ts of reloading prior to even having any equipment. I think having all the materials/equipment to second check every part of my reloading process calmed my nerves and after that first time shooting my own hand rolled ammo, I since became addicted and through time built a confidence in my ability to do it safely (I make sure I do not get complacent during my reloading sessions and make sure I have no distractions). I'm sure you may have a similar experience. I have the same press. I like it and have loaded many rounds with no issues. With that said I, like you used the pro auto disk with the double disk/riser and did not care for it. I could not get it to throw charges as accurately as I wanted. I have since added a RCBS 1500 Chargemaster, which I really like for my precision loading. I want my charges as close as I can to my desired test weight so I thought the the inaccuracies that I had with the pro auto disk was unacceptable for my purposes. IMO, if your bulk loading the Pro Auto disk may serve you well though.

I think I'm going to look into the LEE PPM or something similar and keep the autodisk set up for pistol loads

Don't go blowing your dick off, lol. 44.5 is kinda up there but shouldn't be a problem. With 155 scenars I would throw in 49 grains of Varget, you would hear a crunch as the bullet was seated, but then again that was 155 grain not 175.

Shit talk about nervous, try reloading 338, holy fuck!

Well welcome to reloading, I pop a beer and listen to the radio while I'm at it. Great way to relax. I just had a new bench built just for reloading gonna be stoked to start up again when I move into that new garage.

Good music and a scotch is my preferred way to get through brass prep.

If I could figure out a way to smoke my pipe I would. But as my gun room is typical of many there's a slight risk with smoking.....