• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first rifle build ever! input and suggestions needed!

The SoH Tank

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Danville, Virginia
Open to input or suggestions on any parts i pic, im new to this so im still learning!

Action: Stiller tac 30 in .308 with 20moa rail - $1000
Barrel: Krieger .308 1-11 twist barrel - $345 5r rifling?
Stock: AICS Classic 2.0 .308 Win. Black Stock - $950?
Trigger: Timney #510 1.5 pounds. - $135
Bipod: Harris 6-9" HBRM-S - $110
Scope: Need help here also, mainly shooting 300-750 yards, sometimes 1000 tho.
Rings: What ever would work good with the scope your suggest?

Anything else i may have missed that you need?
Let me know what you think with the choices i've made, tell me if i should change some of them, and why.

Last edited:
All things considered, change the bipod to a S-BRM. It seems the legs will shorten at the most inconvenient times.

I'd get your build started and wait until after SHOT to decide on an optic, who knows what all is coming out.

The only thing I'd change on your build is that turd of a stock. It's forend is completely unusable for a tactical precision rifle becuase of its ergonomics. It's sucks for shooting off hand and it will suck formshooting off barricades. Not to mention its not in the same class as the rest of the parts you're using, it's like putting a cheap set of tires on a Lamborghini. I'd look into one of the many great chassis if you want drop in. Many can be had for the same cost or less than you will pay for the stock, a good bottom metal, and inletting.

+1 on the swiveling bipod, it's worth many times the $15 upgrade.

I'd get your build started and wait until after SHOT to decide on an optic, who knows what all is coming out.

The only thing I'd change on your build is that turd of a stock. It's forend is completely unusable for a tactical precision rifle becuase of its ergonomics. It's sucks for shooting off hand and it will suck formshooting off barricades. Not to mention its not in the same class as the rest of the parts you're using, it's like putting a cheap set of tires on a Lamborghini. I'd look into one of the many great chassis if you want drop in. Many can be had for the same cost or less than you will pay for the stock, a good bottom metal, and inletting.

Are there any you could recommend?

Get the notched bipod. The legs can retract somewhat with the standard legs. Also, the swivel + Pod-Loc will be your best friend the first time you are on an uneven area.

It depends on the style you want and what you will be doing. If you want traditional then get a manners mini chassis for $800-900. If you want different there are a ton of options.

The other thing I'd think about is that for less than you're going to pay for your build all said and done you can have an AI AE MKIII. Non folders are running a little over $2700 right now from mile high and folders about $300 more.

It depends on the style you want and what you will be doing. If you want traditional then get a manners mini chassis for $800-900. If you want different there are a ton of options.

The other thing I'd think about is that for less than you're going to pay for your build all said and done you can have an AI AE MKIII. Non folders are running a little over $2700 right now from mile high and folders about $300 more.

I was going to do something like that, but i just decided id kinda like to do it instead of buying one.

What do you think of something like this

AICS Stock - 1.5 Black Fixed .308 for Sale! - EuroOptic.com

or

AICS Stock 2.0 Folding Stock - EuroOptic.com

What do you think about the AICS Stock 1.5 or 2.0 in black?

I second the Manners with the mini chassis. By the time you spend $500 on the stock, $200-$300 on Bottom Metal & $75-$100 to have the stock inlet, you will have a bunch of money tied up in a stock that doesn't equal the craftsman ship and quality of a Manners or McMillian.

I second the Manners with the mini chassis. By the time you spend $500 on the stock, $200-$300 on Bottom Metal & $75-$100 to have the stock inlet, you will have a bunch of money tied up in a stock that doesn't equal the craftsman ship and quality of a Manners or McMillian.

So the AICS is a no go? Im pretty sure it comes with all that.

$2,160 dollars for AI AE with current discount from Mile High. You're at $2,048 using prices you have listed in your original post.

AISC chassis weighs six pounds. Can keep the weight a lot lower with Manners or McMillan if that's a concern.

AISC chassis weighs six pounds. Can keep the weight a lot lower with Manners or McMillan if that's a concern.

Not really, wont really be hunting with this rifle so weight isnt an issue. Thanks for the concern tho! Can anyone recommend a scope/rings? And what barrel twist/length should i get? and should i get the 5r rifling from krieger for 30 dollars more? I've looked around on the web and supposedly its more accurate!

Many of the things you are asking about are very comparable and come down to personal preference so you're going to get all different recommendations. Scope is going to be largely dependent on price because there is such a wide price range you can get into with optics. Check out Seekins rings. 20 inch barrel is what I would do but you'll have recommendations for longer I'm sure.