• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first rifle loads worked!

SgtDave

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2006
Bedford, Tx.
As a USPSA/3 gun shooter I have lots of experience with loading pistol ammo on my Dillon 650, but I was intimidated with rifle ammo. After reading all of the info on this site from you guys I finally gave it a wirl and everything worked. I have a Dillon 550 for rifle ammo that I used to load 50 rounds of 175gr. SMK's with RE-15 powder and winchester primers. I have a 700 AAC with a AICS and Vortex PST 6-24 scope that has been very accurate since I put it all together and attended a class at Tac Pro last year. With my new ammo I did a quick 100 yard zero and then went to 400 yards. I shot clays on the berm until it became boring and finally back out to 1000 yards. I hit the steel three times with the new ammo and couldn't have been happier. My two buddies who also had never shot that far did the same thing so I'm calling my ammo good.

Thanks to you guys for all of the solid information. This place is full of good rifle, optic, and ammo knowledge and I will always use it when I have unanswered questions.

Dave

Re: My first rifle loads worked!

What kinda load setup you use and what's your total length once bullet is seated?
Jw.

43 grains of RE-15 with an OAL of 2.80. I got the load from my speer loading manual as well as this site.

That's pretty awesome. 1000 yd accuracy out of a progressive. I suppose that my dillon 650 is normally accurate within .1 gr so it shouldn't surprise me that much. I guess that the cost of components drives me to single stage it, lol.

LOL I was scared to death to pull the trigger on "My" first round. I had heard so many horror stories about ppl blowing themselves up and such.