• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Suppressor Help!!!

huntermanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Wyoming
Hey guys, I hope this is the right location for this post. Wyoming has made it legal to hunt with a suppressor which means I am seriously considering a making a modification to my hunting rifles. I approach this decision with no experience and very little knowledge. My primary hunting rifle is a Remington 700 PSS in .308 and my secondary hunting rifle is a Rock River Arms ar15 chambered in 6.8spc. Can I buy a .30 cal suppressor and use it on both? What are some other things I need to consider in deciding which suppressor to buy? Any brands to stay away from? Anyone who has knowledge to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can use a 30 cal can for both calibers mentioned. Take a look at Thunderbeast Arms if you're wanting a precision can. If you're just wanting something to do mag dumps with them go with a Yankee Hill stainless.

What kind of difference could I expect between a Thunder Beast and a yankee hill or some other cheaper can? Should I expect any differences in accuracy or velocity with a can?

+1 on the thunderbeast! And in my opinion after having another suppressor that isn't a "precision" suppressor, the fact that I have two (2) TBACs should speak to your question as to whether you can expect a difference in accuracy. Also, weight, repeatability, and customer service should be major considerations. Last thing you want is something hokey happening after that investment and up to 11 months of waiting, only to have miserable customer service. Also, typically there shouldn't be an issue with using a suppressor on multiple calibers if the suppressor is sized for the biggest caliber/cartridge. I shoot a .30cal on a .223, and it's very quiet. But definitely talk with the mfr about your intentions first.

Might want to snoop around in the suppressor forum here, lots of knowledge and good input. Believe there are even some similiar posts that may help in answering your questions.

Good luck!

On a side note, find a good smith to cut threads concentric with the bore on a lathe.

When you look at the cost for threading two rifles, tax stamp and a good can, it is not cheap to start.

But to keep prarrie dogs standing vs. Hiding from a loud rifle- it is priceless

A friend has both gemtech and surefire and is happy with both.

And yes- completely jealous of free states.

To add, realize there are some disadvantages using a suppressor.

Most suppressors have a point of impact shift. Both of mine are Surefire, and luckily the point of impact shift is at 6-O'clock for the two of them, so all I have to do is dial two to four tenths of a Mil in elevation depending on which one I'm using and which rifle it's on. Some guys have to deal with a point of impact shift that causes them to have to dial both elevation and windage to correct.
After the first two or three shots, you start to see severe mirage in your sight picture from the heat coming off of the suppressor, especially on a cold day with no wind. You can mitigate that by using a mirage cover, but that can increase the affects of another problem...
As your suppressor gets hot, it will start to transfer heat to your barrel, and that will cause vertical stringing on your impacts. The greater the heat, the greater the stringing. If it's Winter, and let's say below 20-deg, you may not have an issue if your barrel is not heating as rapidly.

I guess if it's main purpose is hunting, and you have your point of impact shift accounted for, for that one shot to kill, the two heat related issues won't come into play for you.

My latest suppressor, which I've only had a few weeks now is the Surefire SOCOM 762, and I'm loving it so far. On my AR shooting 77-gr SMKs, it feels like I'm shooting an air rifle. No recoil or movement hardly at all. On the GAP 308, just a small push in recoil, and it sounds like a 22LR, which is just the sonic crack.

My other Surefire is a 338 suppressor, and on the 338 Lapua and 308 TRGs it's great, but for some reason when using it only 300WMs, I get quite a bit of bipod hop using it?

I see a lot of the Thunder Beast suppressors being used at competitions, and all the feedback I get from the owners is always positive.

Learn from my mistake - my first suppressor, the Surefire 338, I assumed it could be used on various Surefire brakes, and that was not the case, I can only use it with the 338 brake. However, the SOCOM model will attach to any SOCOM brake or flash hider regardless of caliber.

If you go with a suppressor that attached directly via threaded barrel, be aware the barrels are all threaded differently depending on brand and caliber. However, both your 308 and 6.8 will likely be the standard 5/8x24 thread size for those two calibers.

Last edited: