• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My GA Precision Experience

Re: My GA Precision Experience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you to the OP for this thread.

I don't have a dog in this fight either but when someone has a problem with a product, It benifits all if they post it.

I ordered a custom rifle a couple of years ago from a builder that was praised on another site. I did my research and couldn't find one bad thing said about him.

22 months later, I recieved my rifle that was supposed to take 6-8 weeks. The rifle wouldn't group worth a shit and was unsafe. This was after returning the rifle once because the stock was jacked up.

When I posted my experiences on that site, I started getting all these pm's from people telling me what bad service they recieved from the same builder.

If everyone would have been as open as the OP here, I could have made an informed decision about the builder prior to wasting a lot of time and money.

I am sure GAP puts out very nice rifles. I'd love to have one, but when somebody has a bad experience I think they should put it out there so others know what problems could happen. It also puts information out there for the company to better understand how to improve their CS.

Griff </div></div>

Same thing happened to me with a Polish Tantal build. Everyone on the particular forum was more concerned with looking good in front of the other "Groupies" than to call this builder out for his past mistakes and I ended up with a horribly finished build that required BATF involvement. Once I stated my displeasure with his services everyone came out of the wood work with complaints. Too bad ,I could have saved a ton of money.

For the record I am in <span style="font-weight: bold">NO</span> way implying that GA precision is a bad outfit. But if a customer has an expierence that leaves he/she unsatisfied, they should be allowed to voice thier opinion without the obligatory "insert inflamatory statement about flush cups" from the peanut gallery.

Still no email from GA Precision about my out of spec AR-10.... a little disapointing after paying that much for a rifle and when something goes wrong you have to wait and wait. I had several issues and questions about my BCM rifle, each time they emailed me back the same day, now that is customer service.

Happy to be one of the 10,000 very happy customers of GAP! My build was spec'd out by me and everything was done to perfection! Sorry to hear of your negative experience and hope an amicable solution can be found for you!

Based on "my" experience they will get my return business (very soon in fact!)...

With their reputation comes high demand for their products, maybe time to add another QC checkpoint? I'd hate to see them drop the quality of service I received.....

Again, just a satisfied customer of Gap's who is surprised that this one slipped through... I doubt we will see this become a trend though, still a shame it happened at all... As a consumer, I appreciate all feedback posted by other consumers. Like George posted though they have completed over 10K builds with very few issues....not a bad track record!

Best of luck in reaching a resolution!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still no email from GA Precision about my out of spec AR-10.... a little disapointing after paying that much for a rifle and when something goes wrong you have to wait and wait. I had several issues and questions about my BCM rifle, each time they emailed me back the same day, now that is customer service. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1810177#Post1810177

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still no email from GA Precision about my out of spec AR-10.... a little disapointing after paying that much for a rifle and when something goes wrong you have to wait and wait. I had several issues and questions about my BCM rifle, each time they emailed me back the same day, now that is customer service. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1810177#Post1810177 </div></div>

I'm sorry for the family loss but I don't think George is the only guy working at GA Precision... or is he? He had the time to post in this thread, I've been waiting for days and haven't heard back from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So I was right 300sniper..... </div></div>

yes i was corrected by george of something i missed/misread and i accepted that.

if you knew you were right, why didn't you correct me at first instead of making it sound like getting something other than exactly what you speced was totally acceptable? </div></div>

I knew I was right and it was plain as day. It shows that you didnt read very carefully. which in turn, would mean that you came in here to argue. incorrectly I might add.

moving on.....

Well my issue is not as big of a deal as the OP's, but as others have said you get on a forum like this and only hear of the good stuff from a custom rifle maker. It sucks I have this expensive rifle and I can't even mount a scope on it. No one posts about the bad experiences because they will get flamed by the others here and want to get along with the other groupies of that gun maker. I know people have personal problems and things that get in the way of the business and that is understandable but it seems there are more issues discovered from this thread than I would have been comfortable with when I ordered two rifles from GAP.

dan,,,,

First of all, please untwist.

Secondly, let me say this: George does fantastic work. There are others here, whom also do such. I'm sure there are others elsewhere, too.

The point though, is that we are all human, and are not perfect. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I am saying though, that the measure of a man is by his word, and his actions.

Have you phoned GAP? I ask, because just recently I too had a 'bit of a foul-up' with the email exchange there. While I'm sure that in-and-of-itself is being sorted out, follow up with him/them and see where that leads you. I think I speak for almost all here, when I say that we're sure you'll end up happy.

They did get a new website, and all that, just recently. Not to mention that they ARE busy.

Pick up the phone....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dan,,,,

First of all, please untwist.

Secondly, let me say this: George does fantastic work. There are others here, whom also do such. I'm sure there are others elsewhere, too.

The point though, is that we are all human, and are not perfect. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I am saying though, that the measure of a man is by his word, and his actions.

Have you phoned GAP? I ask, because just recently I too had a 'bit of a foul-up' with the email exchange there. While I'm sure that in-and-of-itself is being sorted out, follow up with him/them and see where that leads you. I think I speak for almost all here, when I say that we're sure you'll end up happy.

They did get a new website, and all that, just recently. Not to mention that they ARE busy.

Pick up the phone.... </div></div>

I'm sure GAP is busy just like every other firearms business. The problem with phoning them is I can't phone them during business hours because of my schedule so I emailed them on their contact page. I don't expect them to fix the problem overnight but a return email saying we are aware of the issue would be nice. George did email me today. I never said they don't do good work, I am very happy with the rifles I received but the CS after the sale looks like it could be a little better from the posts here. I have no problem voicing my concerns here because I paid them for their work and CS after the sale. Also I bet after they read threads like these they will make any changes they see necessary and improve what they can. I've been on this forum for a while and have never heard anything negative about GAP. Maybe I was holding them to a standard higher than reasonable as everyone makes mistakes or has issues. I just never heard of those issues until now and was a little ticked after not getting a response to my email. I'm not holding a grudge and George did email me back so all is well with my initial concern.

I'm adding an update here to show that GAP did address the problem I was having and in fact from what George said has nothing to do with GAP. I was told by DPMS and LaRue that the rail on my DPMS AR-10 was out of spec because the LaRue mount I have will not fit on it but fit 3 of my other ARs and the Daniel Defense free float rail on the AR-10. They both thought it was an out of spec picatinny rail, George said DPMS only uses weaver rails on the AR-10s. I thought the manufacturer (DPMS) would know what they use on their rifles, but maybe not.

EDIT: I'm reading a magazine reviewing the LR-308 and it states DPMS uses a picatinny rail on their uppers...

from what i hear these guys are pumping out precison rifles back to back all day every day. conflicts are inevitable. a company this focused on precision has to have those standards bleed over into way they handle business

Well just some thoughts off the original post. First i would have to ask if the people who do the ordering for GAP even looked at the build sheet?????? I ask this because it seems George is pointing the finger at everyone except his company. Hey guys you may have ordered the stock wrong and wanna blame them, but who ordered the action????? HMMMMMMM, who are you gonna point the finger at now? I also had a shitty experience with the GAP. I sent a Rem 5R to have a tac bolt knob and a badger brake installed. Turn around shoulda been a few days from what they were saying, however they didnt even know if they recieved the rifle from UPS. I had to call them and have them call me back once they found the rifle. After 2 weeks I called again and they didnt even know where the rifle was or if had been shipped. Later that day UPS stopped at my house and dropped the rifle off while i was waiting on a reply back from GAP about the status of my rifle. Also George didnt like my plano case so he had it replaced with a new case for $60.00 and i just found the same case at my local gun shop cost $26.99, ( I HATE GETTING FUCKED ). I have a good feeling George has gotten so big so fast that he has probably gone out and hired machinists ( my opinion ) for the more simple things such as brakes and bolt knobs. There is still nothing like a riflesmith and he has some of the best. I can't take away from the quality of the work that i recieved on my gun, it was excellent.

So George says the DPMS AR-10 uses a weaver rail, DPMS,LaRue, and some magazine review say it's picatinny. Has anyone else bought a DPMS AR-10 from GAP or elsewhere and can verify if the receiver rail is picatinny or weaver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdnkasole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First i would have to ask if the people who do the ordering for GAP even looked at the build sheet?????? I ask this because it seems George is pointing the finger at everyone except his company. Hey guys you may have ordered the stock wrong and wanna blame them, but who ordered the action????? HMMMMMMM, who are you gonna point the finger at now? I also had a shitty experience with the GAP..........</div></div>

First off, everyone makes mistakes, something most have failed to mention or consider in this situation is how one deals with the customer service issue when it happens. It sounds like George offered solutions to fix the situation on his dime, how he works that out with the customer is between parties A and B, not us.

I have purchased many rifles from GAP, as well as a fair share of smaller gunsmithing services. I have always been more than pleased with thier service, George and his entire crew are top notch. I had some smithing services done a few years back by GAP, seems one of the AI mags I paid for failed to ship with the rifle, a short call to George and the mag was shipped with an apology, solved.

Reading threads like this wont stifle my faith in GAPs quality or service, and it shouldn't with anyone. Respect is the hardest thing to earn and the easiest thing to loose. George has earned the respect of thousands of customers by providing exceptional products and services.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shit happens, how it is dealt with is what defines a man.</span>

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdnkasole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just some thoughts off the original post. First i would have to ask if the people who do the ordering for GAP even looked at the build sheet?????? I ask this because it seems George is pointing the finger at everyone except his company. Hey guys you may have ordered the stock wrong and wanna blame them, but who ordered the action????? HMMMMMMM, who are you gonna point the finger at now? I also had a shitty experience with the GAP. I sent a Rem 5R to have a tac bolt knob and a badger brake installed. Turn around shoulda been a few days from what they were saying, however they didnt even know if they recieved the rifle from UPS. I had to call them and have them call me back once they found the rifle. After 2 weeks I called again and they didnt even know where the rifle was or if had been shipped. Later that day UPS stopped at my house and dropped the rifle off while i was waiting on a reply back from GAP about the status of my rifle. Also George didnt like my plano case so he had it replaced with a new case for $60.00 and i just found the same case at my local gun shop cost $26.99, ( I HATE GETTING FUCKED ). I have a good feeling George has gotten so big so fast that he has probably gone out and hired machinists ( my opinion ) for the more simple things such as brakes and bolt knobs. There is still nothing like a riflesmith and he has some of the best. I can't take away from the quality of the work that i recieved on my gun, it was excellent. </div></div>

I think they are a little too big or something. I also had minor problems with 2 complete builds. The scope was mounted wrong and probably would have bent the scope if it wasn't a nightforce. Both the scopes were supposed to be coated to match the barreled actions. Neither were coated. I would have been better off not sending the scopes at all.

Everybody makes mistakes, but when you order a custom rifle, you cant it done right and you want it done how you ordered it.

Not bashing, just want to show that they aren't perfect.

-dan

Not Bashing either, just want someone to actually answer the question about riflesmiths or machinists, about being overcharged for a case. and why they seem to have a problem tracking rifles. If the ATF walks in, they need to know where the shit is, so why is it when you call, they have no idea? Was just looking for a honest answer and not from someone who is riding Georges tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdnkasole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Bashing either, just want someone to actually answer the question about riflesmiths or machinists, about being overcharged for a case. and why they seem to have a problem tracking rifles. If the ATF walks in, they need to know where the shit is, so why is it when you call, they have no idea? Was just looking for a honest answer and not from someone who is riding Georges tip.</div></div>

1st Answer: Look at the Website, www.GAPrecision.net It has all of our employes listed with their backgrounds. Jeff Hays did the work on your rifle.

2nd Answer: On being overcharged for a case??? I want to know who charged you $60 for a case it was not us. You were charged $75 shipping wich is for the case,shipping and insurance. Shipping and insurance run $40-50, case cost us $22, The cardboard box 3.50

3rd Answer: We have no problems finding rifles as they are all givin an RE-number upon arriving here wich coresponds to their place in the service bound book. You probably talked to Kerry who gets over 50 calls and 100 emails a day. Yes he is the customer service guy but their is limit to what he can and cant do tracking down everyones rifle and where it is in the shop is not easy. He does his best. The rest of us are working on rifles. Kerry does a good job and their are only a few he cant make compleatly happy. I look at it this way, Some guys are never happy. ATF has Inspected us 3 times in 10 years we have always passed. We do our own Inventory 3 times a year and actully keep things as straight as can be kept.

Who is Riding my Tip??? And what the heck does that mean anyway?? Im very glad you like the work that you recieved I believe we do some of the best work out there. If you felt you were screwed on a shipping case you should have called me instead of airing a complaint to cyberspace. If you were wronged I would straighten it out, we didnt get where we are by screwing people.

We are a Large Shop and their are pro's and cons to being a large shop I understand this and we do our best to give our customers the one man shop feel with the precision a large shop with current state of the art machinry and methods can give.

If your ever in the Kansas City Area stop by , Its better to see than read about it on the Internet anyway. Everyone that Visits has a great time and get an understanding why things are what they are.

Thanks

I've had one complete rifle and two others worked on by GAP. On my latest rifle George called me a couple of times to clarify the work that needed to be done and that also gave me a chance pick his extensive knowledge about proper setup options. He's done great work for me and I'll use him again in the future. All of the .308 rifles they've touched shoot sub 1/2 moa. Sorry to hear of guys having any troubles out there but I've had a great experience working with George and his crew.

Also recently had a buddy send in a barrel with totally anal contour specs and it came back perfect.

Can't even begin to imagine the volume of stuff that comes and goes there. Thanks George.

I have to say that recently I had great customer service from George himself!!

I called recently while George was out for family buisness & talked to Kerry about the status of my custom rifle build. Kerry honestly did not have an answer - he was doing his normal work duties & helping out in other areas while George was attending his brother-in-laws funeral.

Sent George a PM on here & an email - figured he would get back to me in a week or so after things settled down for him.

While traveling home from his family matters - George emailed me & then gave me a call to try to help figure my situation/rifle build out. He was very helpful & I could tell he wanted to get my situation resolved.

Later that day during the evening - George called from the shop & said my rifle was just about done. He went to the shop on the way home, tracked down my rifle & took care of buisness!!

He went out of his way for me and I will not forget that!! It was much appreciated on my end & I will be shooting my new 300 WSM in a couple days.

Thanks again George!! (and Moon for building that bad boy)

Dude if your 300WSM shoots half as good as my GAP 300WSM you'll be rocking!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Shit happens, how it is dealt with is what defines a man.</span>

Kirk R
</div></div>

This is all that really matters folks, It shouldnt matter that some owner of a business doesnt hold your ass for 6-8 months while your rifle is being built. Im assuming most of the upset people here were so excited to get their new GAP that however long it took seems way longer.

George has come on here numerous times to debunk all the BS, first off there are always 2 sides to a story, second everytime he has to come on here to deal with this shit he is not buillding rifles which is what he does.

I have a had a few dealings with GAP on minor smith work, So far everything has been above and beyond my expectations. Fast turn around and great quality.

Gentlemen sit back relax and let this man do his work.

If he is still upset about his rifle, send it to me for inspection. I'll take good care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This kinda surprises me. I've been considering sending a Rem 700 LH action to GAP for a build.

I have no idea how many rifles GAP turns out in a year... and I can count the number of bad experiences I've heard about on one hand. I realize this kind of thing is a rarity but this shakes my confidence a little. Especially, considering the inherent 'attention to detail' one has come to expect in a GAP build. I'm sure George would make good on any problems but:

I gotta wonder 'How does something like that get missed?'.
</div></div>

I know how it got missed, The stock came in Right hand and our Order form Lacked an Extra Large Bold "LEFT HAND" spot on it. it just had a box checked for LH. and it got overlooked. That has since been changed to a bold highlited box just becouse of this case right here.

We have built nearly 10,000 rifles since 1999 and I can still count the big mistakes on one hand. We strive for Zero but we are Human.
</div></div>

That is a great honest response back

I cant afford a $3k+ rifle just yet

But when I do I will go to Gap for a custom rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdnkasole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Bashing either, just want someone to actually answer the question about riflesmiths or machinists, about being overcharged for a case. and why they seem to have a problem tracking rifles. If the ATF walks in, they need to know where the shit is, so why is it when you call, they have no idea? Was just looking for a honest answer and not from someone who is riding Georges tip.</div></div>

1st Answer: Look at the Website, www.GAPrecision.net It has all of our employes listed with their backgrounds. Jeff Hays did the work on your rifle.

2nd Answer: On being overcharged for a case??? I want to know who charged you $60 for a case it was not us. You were charged $75 shipping wich is for the case,shipping and insurance. Shipping and insurance run $40-50, case cost us $22, The cardboard box 3.50

3rd Answer: We have no problems finding rifles as they are all givin an RE-number upon arriving here wich coresponds to their place in the service bound book. You probably talked to Kerry who gets over 50 calls and 100 emails a day. Yes he is the customer service guy but their is limit to what he can and cant do tracking down everyones rifle and where it is in the shop is not easy. He does his best. The rest of us are working on rifles. Kerry does a good job and their are only a few he cant make compleatly happy. I look at it this way, Some guys are never happy. ATF has Inspected us 3 times in 10 years we have always passed. We do our own Inventory 3 times a year and actully keep things as straight as can be kept.

Who is Riding my Tip??? And what the heck does that mean anyway?? Im very glad you like the work that you recieved I believe we do some of the best work out there. If you felt you were screwed on a shipping case you should have called me instead of airing a complaint to cyberspace. If you were wronged I would straighten it out, we didnt get where we are by screwing people.

We are a Large Shop and their are pro's and cons to being a large shop I understand this and we do our best to give our customers the one man shop feel with the precision a large shop with current state of the art machinry and methods can give.

If your ever in the Kansas City Area stop by , Its better to see than read about it on the Internet anyway. Everyone that Visits has a great time and get an understanding why things are what they are.

Thanks </div></div>

Seems to me you guys over there at Gap need a sweeper cleaner who can be trusted to sweep and keep the place clean in exchange for a custom rifle.

also farm hand by trade. anyone?

I am in the des moines ia area and can be in olathe in a matter of hours

hehehe