• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My GAP .260 Rocks!!!

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
antelope11015.jpg

Rifle season started for me with this buck antelope taken at 470 meters and one 130gr VLD.

familyhunt023.jpg

A week later my better half shot her antelope buck with the same rifle and load. Her shot was 185 meters...one shot.

6X6014.jpg

Next up was this 6X6 bull elk I shot at 125 meters. Another one shot kill.

mdbuck2011026.jpg

The very next day, I bumped into one of the better mule deer bucks I've ever taken. This shot was 309 meters, another one shot kill.

jimsram024.jpg

Little brother drew the sheep permit of many lifetimes and we ended up finding this ram. The little .260 was on loan to him and he made a great 320 meter one shot kill placing the bullet through both front shoulders, anchoring the ram instantly to keep him from rolling into a nasty steep canyon.

Katieshunt049.jpg

Specs:
GA Precision built
Templar Hunter Action
Rock #3 1-9", 24", .260 Rem.
Jewell trigger
Mcmillan Hunters EDGE stock
Badger M5 Bottom Metal
Badger recoil lug
Cerro'd flat black
Tally 30MM LW Rings
S&B 10X42 PMII

Load:
130gr Berger Hunting VLD
Lapua .260 brass(inside neck reamed)
44.2grs. H4350
Wolf LRM primer
2.810" coal
3000fps.

Re: My GAP .260 Rocks!!!

Wow!!! I'd be happy just to see something moving this year. Its great to hear of your sucess with the 260. I have been considering building one for competition and want to be able to hunt with it as well. Sounds like its doing a great job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gitrdone44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the weight of that great looking rifle? </div></div>

Eight pounds dry....center of gravity is right at the front guard screw with five rounds in an AI mag...carrys in your hand like a dream.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shootin!

Why are you reaming out the necks? </div></div>

The new Lapua .260 brass appears to be a bit over spec on neck thickness. I've reamed the inside of the necks on this lot twice now and one more time will, or should get the necks to optimum thickness. George does have a reamer from PT&G to the exact Lapua brass dimension for guys that want to run those specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shootin!

Why are you reaming out the necks? </div></div>

The new Lapua .260 brass appears to be a bit over spec on neck thickness. I've reamed the inside of the necks on this lot twice now and one more time will, or should get the necks to optimum thickness. George does have a reamer from PT&G to the exact Lapua brass dimension for guys that want to run those specs. </div></div>

Ahh gotcha. I was just curious as I am shooting a new 260 but getting all my ammo loaded from Southwest with Lapua brass. Had me concerned for a minute!

Looks like you and the family had a great hunting season. Also, that is an exceptional buck, congratulations.

Great gun and great shooting.

No issues with the Wolf primers yet? I remember that you posted about swapping over to them a while back. I guess they have been thoroughly field tested, by the looks of those trophies.

PGS -

As usual excellent picture of some fine trophies!!
Looks like you had another great season.
Good hunting to you & thanks for the post.

I hate you a little.. but just a little...

Outstanding season Pat!

I hear B&C is waiting for some dry times to finish "grin"

So now I realize that I'll more than likly be making another call to GA before the end of next year... crap!

Whenever I see the little gold letters "PGS" in the Hunting forum I break a finger opening the thread. As always PGS, you have shown us what a fantastic part of the country you live and hunt in, not to mention how DEADLY you are with your tool of choice in hand.
Thank you again Sir for a little taste of heaven.....
smile.gif

Wow, great photos and animals!

Don't you just love the 260 ballistics and ease of shooting?

I am looking at a similar build from GAP to compliment my Sako TRG 22 260 long range rifle. If you had it to do over again would you change anything about the rifle? Would you still go with bottom metal mag option? Does the magazine get in the way at all handling and hunting with the rifle? How do you like the stock? Did you consider the Manners or B&C?

Thanks for any info and congratulations on a fine season.

I've said I'd never live outside of Texas but damn you're making it tough for me to live up to my word. Excellent group of animals. I guess you are showing us what a Montana Grand Slam hunt looks like. Great shooting, nothing better than dropping game where they stand in a humane manner.

I bet you can't catch a trout with that .260! That's the only jab I could come up with.

wholy Shat Batman! WOW Pat those are outstanding trophys, dont know which I like the best, goats are awesome, as the mulie, ah hell they are all awesome. beautifull weapon also.

Pat,

Awesome year, animals, pics, rifle and ability! All with the "130" VLD too! Would have thought you'd have used the 140?

6.5x47

You had a great season to say the least. That is a total Stud of a mule deer. The ram is quite the prize as well. You obviously had no issues harvesting any of those fine animals, however if you'd asked "advice" on the subject of harvesting that Elk and Ram with a .260/130gr bullet, you'd have been told by so many people that you need a bigger gun in a .30 cal or a magnum for such game......obviously not as we all can see.

I'd chop off my little finger (on both hands) to get transferred by my job to a area like you live in, or anywhere even close to the area up there. Some day I'll get there so don't shoot everything before i make it up, save a few Elk for us southern folks.
Congratulations on a great season!

Awesome animals PGS!!! That mule deer and goat have me drooling quite profusely.

Did you ever put a tape to that deer?

That is awesome! Love that muley, great catch!

I love to see the 260 in action, good shots trump bullet weight as always and the 260 makes it easy. I'm switching over from the 140 VLD to the 130's you're using, can't get the 140's to not blow fist sized holes out the other side of game. Shot a big ram over the summer with my 260 as well.

Thanks for the pics, the wife and I have been contemplating transferring to Denver(as close as I can get to Big Sky country with my job) from Dallas/Fort Worth after our last trip to Wyoming and Montana over the summer. I never thought I'd leave Texas either, but the views and the wild up there are on another level.

Nicely Done sir!

Finally getting my sako 85 .260 out this season, to drop a few deer here or there. I just haven't been able to hunt with it, i can't stand the thought of a scratch on that gun haha. Again very nice PGS.

Very cool set-up. How did the Berger's perform on impact?

Pat,

I don't really hate you, but I hate you.
grin.gif

Nice rifle and trophies you and your family harvested this season.

I am 60 years old & have been out done!
Beautiful animals & a fine rifle/scope/load combination.
I am somewhat surprised at the light caliber....in that part of the country I generally preferred heavier due to the winds.
Outstanding job!
R.

Nice rifle Pat and great season...hoping my 7-08 will be done one of these days...pretty close to a 260.

always love PGS pictures as it makes me jealous that I am on the East coast.