• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns My grip or wrong guns?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Alright guys Im looking to get a new pistol (long story short, was robber, all i have is my little cary) and its purposes will be for a house gun mainly with some light duty for classes, competitions in whatever i can get it in.

my issue...

ive tried 1911s, glocks, vp9, walther, m&p, sprinfield xd line, sig, rugers....seem to have the same issue with all but 1911s, some better than others but 1911 is only one i don't have the issue. When i get my grip (thumbs laying over eachother pointing in line with the barrel) my strong hand thumb always rests on the slide stop and prevents lock. I don't train to use my slide release on reloads but it not locking open is an issue for me.

anyone else have similar issues? Do i just have a deep pocket in my hand? Ive tried other grips but none give me a feeling of truely having control of the pistol. Considered cutting off the release nub all together but i can think of a reason or 2 why i shouldn't.

any tips? Tricks? Advice? Guns i should look into?

needs to have a rail and good mag capacity. Trying to keep my budget to 1200ish and under...prefer 9mm also.

I just started using the glock 17 4gen and it comes with 4 different back straps. I'm currently using one with a beaver tail like the 1911's and when I need to lock the slide back one handed I have to roll my hand forward to reach it. Might help

Don't apply to much pressure with your strong hand thumb on the safety/ slide when firing. At least 60% of grip pressure should be coming from your weak hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't apply to much pressure with your strong hand thumb on the safety/ slide when firing. At least 60% of grip pressure should be coming from your weak hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eh....personally i really think people over complicate gripping a gun.

honestly, dont think about it....just pick the damn thing up.

you dont need a ton of grip strength.....if you can shoot the gun 1 handed....thats all the gripping strength you need on it, all you need to do is hold the gun strong enough that it doesnt shift in your hands.....and honestly, thats not much....especially out of a compact or fullsized non magnum caliber

all your non dominant hand need to do is to support your dominant hand in recoil......you dont need any more gripping out of it, its just there to help control the weapon at that point.

Last edited:
    eh....personally i really think people over complicate gripping a gun.

honestly, dont think about it....just pick the damn thing up.

you dont need a ton of grip strength.....if you can shoot the gun 1 handed....thats all the gripping strength you need on it, all you need to do is hold the gun strong enough that it doesnt shift in your hands.....and honestly, thats not much....especially out of a compact or fullsized non magnum caliber

all your non dominant hand need to do is to support your dominant hand in recoil......you dont need any more gripping out of it, its just there to help control the weapon at that point.

Regardless of opinions, if you are shooting both thumbs forward and you apply to much pressure to the slide the gun will not cycle properly. That's not an opinion it's physics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after watching that video i think i use my thumbs too much. Ill see if i can change it up a bit and see how it goes. My pressure is on the frame...never had an issue stopping the slide or causing cycling issues...just slide catch.

backstraps didn't solve it for me. Had an m&p and gen4 glock and while the issue was only like 30-40% of the time i still had it.

went "window shopping" and ended up feeling my first CZ P07 and i didn't have the issue with my grip. 15% off all firearms that day so it came home with me. Great gun so far.

If you are having the same issue with multiple guns then I'd say you need to work on your grip. I have found that pointing my thumbs out works well with ensuring I don't touch the slide and I still get plenty of grip pressure.

Grip is key when shooting a handgun. Your thumbs should be useless appendages until the gun goes empty. Then you'll need one. Try not resting them on the gun. I think with enough dry fire, muscle memory will take over.
    Also, consider increasing your budget a little if you want to get into a 9mm 1911.

With decent texturing on grip I use no pressure from my thumbs and have no issues with grip shifting under recoil. I also tend to have my thumbs forward but a little lower to ensure no slide drag or slide stop engaging. I would just practice grip a bit more if you still have trouble maybe see if you can get replacement grip panels to help get secure grip without death grip from thumbs

In golf they used to say if you have a bad grip, you don't want a good swing. I would say if you have a good grip, you don't want a sig sauer.

As an old 1911 shooter, I have had some of these issues. Part of it is that with a 1911 you build your grip from the back, while with every other handgun you need to build your grip from the front. This sounds kind of Yoda like, but it is a visual that has helped me over the years. Not with sigs, though. The slide release is just in the wrong spot. You have to take a bad grip to shoot a sig well.

As you are having issues with virtually every gun it is definitely your grip. You can learn to shoot any gun, just think through where your issue is and try a grip that works for you nothing works for everyone but catching the slide will always cause issues. I and many people have no issues with getting a good grip on sigs or anything else. Just be careful if you switch to a revolver to keep grip back not thumbs forward.

Oh, again with the possibly try different grip panels if you can...some have slight shelfs in the g10 to protect the slide release if you keep having issues. Though the marketing is stupid look at the grips on the sig legion as an example of what I mean.

Not saying this is the right way, just the way I do it. With a glock, I get a high grip with right hand. Left index finger goes on trigger guard, other left fingers over right fingers. Left thumb rests softly on the frame and right thumb rests softly over left thumb and portion of hand below it. Right thumb doesn't get near the slide release. I use a firm grip. A softer grip would be a little easier to hold on target, but I feel more confident in the firm grip because I know I'm not going to stovepipe it.

Check out a CZ pistol if you want a similar grip angle to the 1911, the PO9 and PO7 have their controls perched slightly higher than most other designs, but they remain easy to get to.

In golf they used to say if you have a bad grip, you don't want a good swing. I would say if you have a good grip, you don't want a sig sauer.

As an old 1911 shooter, I have had some of these issues. Part of it is that with a 1911 you build your grip from the back, while with every other handgun you need to build your grip from the front. This sounds kind of Yoda like, but it is a visual that has helped me over the years. Not with sigs, though. The slide release is just in the wrong spot. You have to take a bad grip to shoot a sig well.

Let me flesh this out a little. When you start shooting on a 1911, there are two really important strong hand index points when taking your grip. The first is to have the web of your hand up into the beavertail, and the second is to have your strong thumb on the safety lever. You don't really need to worry about much else because the trigger reach is short, and the trigger mechanism forces you to a pretty straight pull. If you have a little too much finger on the trigger, or a little too little, no big deal. The important issues are how you disable the two safeties so that you can shoot. It works well, and it is a really good system.

Fast forward to something like a VP9. This is a gun I have messed around a bit with and have a bit of a love hate relationship with. Now, if you go to grip it like a 1911, you will find that two issues occur. First, you get very little pressure on the back of the gun with your strong hand, making it a bit difficult to shoot, and second, you can't get the slide to lock back. Some people will automatically tell you to grip the gun higher, but this doesn't work, and doesn't make sense. When it was happening to me, my support hand thumb pad was actually holding down the slide stop, and my strong thumb was even higher than that. What you really need to do is build the gun from the frontstrap. Let your three fingers on your strong hand index into the finger grooves and pull your thumb and pad into position. This will give you appropriate pressure under the large, and very odd, beavertail cut thingy on that gun. From there you should be able to control the gun well, and your hands should fit so as to not hold down the slide stop. When I was struggling with it, I would load 3-5 rounds into a magazine and shoot a string, making sure I got lock back. No reason to wait 15 rounds to see if you are doing something right!

I am not sure, of course, if this is your problem. I have never had any problem with shooting glocks, and I find them to respond well to 1911 type technique, other than that if you tend to get your right thumb high you can get it chewed up by the slide. Not much protection there. As I said earlier, I think Sigs, especially in the classic series, tend to have ergonomics that force a bad grip in order to get the gun to function, but none of the others you mention do, even if some are incompatible with some of the hacks 1911 shooters develop to increase leverage and speed on their guns.

Hope this helps.

Actually that sounds like a really good guess. My carry gun is a sig p938 and it by far gets the most shots through it. I do grip it as you say and get a high hold on the beaver and wrap my strong hand thumb up and over the safety. This is exactly how i try and hold every other pistol which is likely the problem.

before my glock was stolen it wasnt that big of a problem as i probably made it seem when i had the grip strap with the beaver tail installed. But the m&p, springfield xds and VP9s i just couldn't get to work unless i changed my thumbs around a lot. I don't have this problem with my cz p07 but ive been trying to break my thumb habit so I can shoot either grip style. There are a lot of nice pistols id love to own and not want to throw at my target after a box of ammo . As I said i figured its me but i don't know nearly as much about pistols as i do long guns to analyze myself and know how to fix it without putting me into another bad habbit. Ill try building my grip as you suggest and see what happens.