• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Iphone: Apple Safari and Targeted ads via whatsapp conversation

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
Last week during a text conversation on whatsapp the topic of an exercise bike was discussed.

Within 24 hours i noticed constant exercise bike ads while using Safari on my iphone. These ads continued for about 2 days.

Things that make you go jmmmm

And then there's the Facebook searching contacts and making friend suggestions using the phone numbers.

For example:

2014-2017 I was flying to Latin America and Caribbean. Met many new friends and acquaintances.
Over the years since these adventures, I have occasionally received Facebook "People you may know" as potential friends to message/add.
These suggestions were of people I met and communicated with using WhatsApp.

Considering whatsapp is owned by Facebook, I'm sure it has some sort of built in reporting back to the zuckborg.
They already publically said they were going to include "in app content filtering" that will report back to the borg.

I'd consider switching to either Signal or go to Riot/Matrix

Damn.. Just got this warning while searching for South Park episode "Sponsored Content"

1596288986134.png

Damn.. Just got this warning while searching for South Park episode "Sponsored Content"

View attachment 7388397
Damn, they're on to you, but I'm here to help. First, transfer all your guns to me so they're safe. You give me a bill of sale for a dollar so it's legal. Then give me your DOB, SSN, and bank account numbers so I can monitor them from a different IP address.

Don't worry about money, I have a Nigerian Prince who will be reaching out to you later today... :ROFLMAO:

Run Disconnect’s app Privacy Pro, it’s a VPN that blocks tracking cookies and targeted ads.

Edit: It's Disconnect that runs the app, not Discord.

Last edited:
Your phone is listening to you also.

I’ve told this story here before, but now seems like a good time to tell it again.

I was taking my daughter to school one day. She asked me why a local private school’s mascot is Snoopy. I told her that the school’s mascot is is the Flyers, and since Snoopy is the “Famous World War 1 Flying Ace”, Charles Shultz allowed them to use Snoopy as their mascot. She said “Oh, that makes sense.” End of discussion
When I got to work, and pulled up Facebook, there were ads on there, selling a poster showing Snoopy, sitting on top of his dog house, cigar in his mouth, bullets flying all around, and the Red Barron in the background. The ads were on my Facebook page for a few weeks. Right then and there, I knew for sure our phones were listening to us. I’ve heard similar stories from other people I know.

Android or Apples, doesn’t matter. They all listen now. My wife got a couple pairs of workout pants from Bombshell. Just read the package name to her over the phone when the package arrived. All of the sudden there’s yoga ass all over every page I look at. Go figure. Could be worse....

Everything you do, regardless of platform, is all interlinked and there's nothing you can do about it. It is just the flip side of convenience.

Even if you went old school Nokia brick phone, you still have to have a computer w/ internet access. You phone provider sells your info. Your ISP sells your info. Your financial institutions and programs sell your info. There's no getting away from it. Sure a VPN is great...but the second you turn it off, it renders it all pointless (you'd have to be connected to it 24/7 from the moment you turn the system on until the time you turn it off). Most apps have keystroke logging and some have been found to do it to all platforms you're linked to. Your search habits, online orders, site visits, etc are all products that your SPs make money on. You can alter a lot of the settings when you first download an app or setup a new system, however most optional settings are reverted to default by the manufacturer every time you do an update. Most of us have auto updates turned on and none of us read the user agreements, so it is all pointless.

As tech develops, it will become more and more intertwined with out daily lives, whether we like it or not. Hell, most utility companies force you to pay online and then charge you a convince fee for doing so. When you get depressed about it all, just remember, millions of Americans see nothing wrong with using TikTok...including those serving.

Reactions: clcustom1911

I’ve told this story here before, but now seems like a good time to tell it again.
The ads were on my Facebook page for a few weeks. Right then and there, I knew for sure our phones were listening to us. I’ve heard similar stories from other people I know.
Android or Apples, doesn’t matter. They all listen now. My wife got a couple pairs of workout pants from Bombshell. Just read the package name to her over the phone when the package arrived. All of the sudden there’s yoga ass all over every page I look at. Go figure. Could be worse....

The biggest culprit seems to be folks that have Facebook on their phones and have ever logged in to Facebook.
I don't have facebook and disable the app on my phone on bootup.

It seems folks doing that the same way don't get quite as much in your face spying as Google is a bit more subtle about what they themselves do.

Reactions: deersniper
I have zero social media unless this damn website counts.

Edit. I do have WhatsApp. We use it to call my Brother-in-law in Za-fatherland. Maybe that’s it?

Reactions: Doc68
As far as I can tell, I've got my phone locked down enough that this doesn't happen to me. But I don't have a FB account, and I have an Android phone with the Duck, Duck Go browser. I've disabled lots of permissions in my app settings and none get to use the microphone except Messages. I get an annoying alert about enabling permissions with EVERY text but I'm used to it now. My email spam seems to be completely unrelated to anything I'm interested in which wasn't true before DDGo. Highly recommend Duck, Duck Go for a browser.

I was taking my daughter to school one day. She asked me why a local private school’s mascot is Snoopy. I told her that the school’s mascot is is the Flyers, and since Snoopy is the “Famous World War 1 Flying Ace”, Charles Shultz allowed them to use Snoopy as their mascot. She said “Oh, that makes sense.” End of discussion
When I got to work, and pulled up Facebook, there were ads on there, selling a poster showing Snoopy, sitting on top of his dog house, cigar in his mouth, bullets flying all around, and the Red Barron in the background. The ads were on my Facebook page for a few weeks. Right then and there, I knew for sure our phones were listening to us. I’ve heard similar stories from other people I know.
It’s because you downloaded the app. They spy on you when you click accept.

Only app worth downloading is StrelokPro

Just wear a tin foil hat and coat all your walls in tinfoil. Problem solved

You guys should really watch Ed Snowden’s interview on the Joe Rogan YouTube channel.

I know that many consider him a traitor, but he did what many are too afraid to do... see something wrong/unconstitutional and do something about it.

I am not touting him as a hero, but he did have the courage of his convictions.

He lays out the infrastructure that is used by .gov and .com to track you and sell your private information. In fact data is being collected for or use at a later date. Stored in massive data centers.
IT companies are exploiting you for your data. The see your data as their property. They fight to further this. Google, Facebook and Scamazon are selling you out period.

Last edited:
About those VPNs.... do they charge you for using it, if not.. how are they covering costs, who's auditing their logging?

They have a free service that is decent, and a very aggressive paid service. Typical type app that teases you with something decent and hopes you go for the paid service. The free service works as an ad blocker in a way too through the native mobile Safari and other apps like News. I save a ton of bandwidth a month with it.

And it's by Disconnect, not Discord, had the wrong one on the mind for some reason.

No facebook
No twitter
No tiktok
No instagram
No social media of any kind
No whats app, I don't even know what it is
No google account
No gmail
No apple ID
No email on my phone

Just how I roll

Reactions: Wading
Of course they are listening. This is why in the .mil when you go into a briefing that is Classified, you cannot take your PDA with you.

We are screwed. When the balloon goes up, they will know where we are and what we have.

Reactions: camocorvette
No facebook
No twitter
No tiktok
No instagram
No social media of any kind
No whats app, I don't even know what it is
No google account
No gmail
No apple ID
No email on my phone

Just how I roll
You are on social media right now

Your user name might as well be your real name as far as .gov is concerned

Reactions: army_eod
Of course they are listening. This is why in the .mil when you go into a briefing that is Classified, you cannot take your PDA with you.

We are screwed. When the balloon goes up, they will know where we are and what we have.
Good luck with them trying to round up guns. That car is out of the bag. First you had normal gun nuts. Then Obama selling guns. The BLM and corona selling guns. Add in 80 percents they will never ever get more Han a token percentage

Good luck with them trying to round up guns. That car is out of the bag. First you had normal gun nuts. Then Obama selling guns. The BLM and corona selling guns. Add in 80 percents they will never ever get more Han a token percentage
In addition to 80%s there are also the full up guns sold or traded privately with no transaction records.

Never mind the cost to those who try to confiscate.

Reactions: deersniper
Have you seen the lastest TOS from Instagram (Facebook)? We can access all your photos, we can access all your text messages, we can access all your e-mails and all your contact lists, we can access any device that you are near for the same purposes (other cell phones and devices near you). Click here to agree if you want to continue using our platforms. Fuck Facebook and all their minions! All that shit is gone on my devices!!!

As far as I can tell, I've got my phone locked down enough that this doesn't happen to me. But I don't have a FB account, and I have an Android phone with the Duck, Duck Go browser. I've disabled lots of permissions in my app settings and none get to use the microphone except Messages. I get an annoying alert about enabling permissions with EVERY text but I'm used to it now. My email spam seems to be completely unrelated to anything I'm interested in which wasn't true before DDGo. Highly recommend Duck, Duck Go for a browser.
This is how I operate. We dont do ring doorbells, Security shit, nest products or any of that. I wont sign up for saver cards, i wont give out my phone number, and I always forget my ssn on forms. I dont have near the intrusion or spam as others. I try to keep as much old school as I can. Sometimes you just dont have a choice though. My wife laughs I write checks, I smile when she gets spam shit.

I stick her phone away from me when I go on a right wing rant too. I mean domestic terrorist rant. She gets ads that match our convo when we talk about other things.

I could go on and on with some shit I do.....but then I will just come off as a tin foil hat wearer. Not that I care. I dont like unwanted intrusion.

This is almost the only website I visit now.

I dont know how to say this nicely, but I will try. Fuck all you hypocrits that use Facefuck!

Reactions: nikonNUT
Get over it. Such actions on the part of app developers have already become the norm, and I don't see anything wrong with it. They make money from it and support app development. Because almost all such projects are free, you can't complain about them in any way. You have two ways out of this silly situation: either you consider it a natural part of life and stop being nervous about it, or you google ***SPAM LINK DELETED*** so that no more ads appear there. That is the only thing I can offer you. I hope that in time you will get used to it.
Fuck off spammer.

Reactions: 6.5SH