• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My K98 PEM "Field Armorer" Build Update 7-31-14

ScharfshutzeK98

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys,

I recently got this build back from the gunsmith and am quite pleased! I figured that I would share it with you guys. For those of you not familiar there is proof that the German Wehrmacht used captured Soviet mounts and optics on the eastern front in WW2. Some of you may be familiar with this image that clearly shows an example of such a rifle:

Well after seeing that picture and realizing that I had never really seen anybody post an example of such a rifle I knew I wanted one. The combination of the K98's great design and the ballistics of the 8mm round are a great platform. Then to combine that platform with the wonderful Soviet PEM scope with a sharp pointed reticle and easy to adjust windage and elevation turrets to me is genius.

So the search began for a nice example of a K98 capture rifle. I was able to find a nice DOU 43 from a member here for a great price. The rifles receiver code wasn't of any importance since it wouldn't be a factory build so I thought it would work fine. It came with an aftermarket SSR cut stock that I will use for a future build and a bunch of other misc. parts.

I wasn't a big fan of the darker "dot" cupped buttplate stock that was on it initially so I sold that one to pay for a beat up reddish laminate stock. I made that purchase from a friend here on this board (bolt56) and I think it matches the theme of the rifle more. It even has some initials carved into it.

Next on the list was to find a reproduction PEM mount. An original was going to be very expensive and hard to find. Not to mention an original should most likely be used for a restoration and not a "tribute build". I had remembered using an "Igor" mount for the '42 PEM build and was pleased so I ended up purchasing a couple of the last remaining mounts he had.

I had initially planned on using a Coles Distributing Ukrainian reproduction PE scope. However the fine adjustment ring prohibits the scopes recoil ring from seating against the front scope mount ring (I was informed of this while the build was underway). So I sold that scope to help fund an original. I was luckily able to find an original 1939 PEM scope that had a great "been there, done that" look to it. Besides a couple of extra (original) action screws the parts list was complete for the build.

The next step was to see how the rifle shot in the newly acquired stock. So I shot a box of Hornady 196gr FMJ 8mm Vintage Match through the rifle to see how it grouped. Results were not stellar by any means, but I figured the stock would probably need some fitting. The rifle was grouping 2-1/8" @ 50 yards with 1-2 minutes between shots.

I decided to move forward with the build and have the gunsmith put the stock and receiver into factory "specifications" or a "sniper tune". All of the pieces were packaged safely and shipped to the builder.

Last edited:
Yesterday I received the completed build. I am very happy with it's outcome and look forward to using the builder in the future. I feel that the combination of the pieces used in the build truly create a rifle that looks like it was at the eastern front (if you pay no attention to the electro pencil or import marks). Here are the finished results:

Notice the "initials" carved into the stock.

Last edited:
To me it's little details like this that make a build like this accurate. Chances are a German field armorer would only have taps for German thread size. This was the reason for using two k98 receiver screws to attach the mount.

The mount shim was built of the same material as was used on an original example that is owned by a k98 collector. Once again, trying to use accurate methods and pieces to create a proper tribute.

Due to the fact that the mount/scope set up was designed for use on another rifle the scope does not fall on centerline of the barrel. It is honestly only 1/16-1/8" off and I have seen Mosin 91/30 PEM re scoped rifles that were way worse.

It may be awhile before I get a chance to test this one out at the range but I will post results. I hope you guys like it.

-Brian

Last edited:
Good work Brian. You are gonna enjoy that one. As we know, our expert K98 sniper guy has a RC that was a PEM not to mention a dug rifle like this.

The PEM scope, of Zeiss design and built on Zeiss equiptment, may be the best sniper scope of WW2. It completely blows away the US scopes and that is clear if you ever use one. The side mount system is built like a tank, and again, may be the best system used in WW2. It was Vasilly certified and good enough for me.

Great rifle.

An excellent example of "working within the school of thought". I, too, want to see how it shoots.

Steve

I've been toying with doing something similar to one of my Mousers. Thanks for the tips. I don't know anything about that scope but it sure looks backwards to me.

Your best bet, IMO, is to find one honestly represented on Gunbroker that has already been nicely converted to a replica sniper. The best conversions will be build on a Russian Capture with a very nice bore. That way an original K98 has not been messed up. You should find one in the $1000-1500 range. The most common would be a LSR.

Thanks Guys!!!! I will keep in touch with range results (if I ever get some free time).

Rookie- I can see how you would think that it looks backwards but that is actually the design of the scope.

Hey guys,

I finally had a chance to try this rifle out since it had been scoped. Unfortunately my Mosin 35 PE mount failed during ammo trials, but that gave the K98 PEM a chance to damage my shoulder. All shots were taken while seated at a bench with the rifle on a rest under the "belly" of the stock. Shots were taken with 1-2 minutes in between. Weather was approximately 78 degrees and sunny without any wind. Point of aim is always at the center of the target.

The initial five shots were taken with 1952 Yugo surplus to "bed" the action and confirm that the rifle was on paper. These first five shots were not measured. The first and second recorded groups of five were also taken with 1952 Yugo surplus.

The first recorded five shot group had a measurement of 3-3/16" and the second group measured 1-5/8" on target (4) with one round off of paper. Only a picture of the second group was taken.

The third recorded group was five shots was 1999 Yugo surplus M75 sniper ammunition which grouped 2-1/2". It also seemed like this ammunition was showing a vertical stringing.

The fourth recorded group of five was 1937 Turkish surplus which grouped at 2-7/8" (because of that damn "flier"). This is the ammunition that the Wehrmacht sniper Bruno Sutkus spoke about in his book as being very accurate and what he preferred to use.

The fifth group of five was 70's Romanian surplus grouped at 4-11/16".

The sixth group of five was PPU 8mm Mauser Match 200gr FMJBT. The grouping measured 1-7/8" (4) with one "flier" being off target.

The seventh group was abandoned after the first two shots were high and off paper. The ammunition was PPU 8mm 196gr SP.

The eighth group of five was Sellier & Bellot 196gr SP which had a measurement of 1-11/16".

The ninth group of five was Remington Core-Lokt 170gr SP which had a measurement of 1-1/8".

The tenth group of five was Hornady 196gr BTHP Vintage Match and had a measurement of 2-1/16".

A few things got my attention with this rifle during the range session. The first was that during the last or second to last group of five (I lost track) the reticle appeared canted in the sight picture. I checked it and noticed that the scope tube was slightly loose in the mount rings. This may have caused accuracy issues during testing. I have already spoke with the builder about ways to correct the problem. The second issue with the rifle that may have also caused accuracy issues was a loose screw for the mount windage adjustment. This will obviously be a simple fix once the rifle is zero'd. The third item that got my attention is how different POI is with each type of ammo. It seems like every type of ammunition moved around the target, none of them stayed in a consistent "quadrant" (i.e. 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock or 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock). However, this may have also been due to the issues described above.

All in all I am very happy with the build and just need to fix the small issues and learn the rifle. It seemed to prefer the most expensive ammunition that I could possibly find and beat me up quite a bit. I will have to keep this thread updated with each progression, but for now I am resting my shoulder.

Thanks for reading,
Brian

Great range report. Sorry for the issues with the scope mount - from a gunsmithing point of view, That sort of thing really shouldn't have happened, given that you had it sent off for the work done. Yeah, it looks like the 8mm Mauser is a hard-recoiling round! LOL! Thanks for sharing your experiences, and look forward to reading further updates. Later. :)

Thanks for the detailed write up. It's particularly useful when someone posts their realistic groups, so others can get an idea of real world performance.

Nice build too, it should be fun to shoot. I have collected the parts to build a Mosin PE clone, some day I will assemble it or find someone to drill/tap it for me.

Great range report. The rifle is showing much potential.

I am surprised that M75 did not do better. I am also surprised that the Turk ammo was so good but it has surprised me before as well. Seems like it is about 150 grains. I had amazing results from S&B in a plain blue box, 196 grain FMJ. Wish I could find some more.

Do you know if the rifle was fitted to the stock and metal parts like was specified in the German manual? There used to be a sticky regarding that on gunboards K98. It was very complete and useful.

Damn! That thing knocked the hell out of you. I dont know why, but I always figured Mausers would be not "soft" but not exactly a bruiser like that either. Wow. I figured wrong, thats a hard hittin motherf*(ker on both ends... God only knows how you sat there and took hits like that for 50 rounds straight in a single day lol you must be some type of masochistic individual for sure. Thanks for the awesome reporting, beatiful rifle.

Last edited:
Nice thread. Reminds me of the Central Red Army Museum in Moscow. They also used captured German weapons:

Some Russian Sniper Rifle Pics from the Great Patriotic War: