• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My Low Budget model 700 build is done {pics}

turbobike1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
I wasnt really in the market for this rifle, although I was curious. My cousin purchased it from Fin Feather Fur for $925 {after shipping, transfer ect.}, but when he picked it up he didnt like the balance at all, so he asked me if I wanted it for $900 even.... Since he wasnt going to fire it and was going to sell it as new, which in turn meant I would never get to fire the gun, I decided to buy it....
When I first took the 5r out of its box, I noticed it does have a heavy forward weight, making it front heavy... Also Im not a huge fan of the stocks color, and I would also like to add some length to the butt of the stock, it seems very short... Other than them issues it looks like a regular Stainless heavy barrel Remington 700 with an HS stock bolted to it...
So I set aside $1500 for the build, and Im going to make this gun my primary target gun {100-200 yard paper punching}. I know $1500 isnt much of a budget, concidering you can spend that on optics alone. Since I am already at $900, and the H&S stocks are decent, I'm not going to change the stock, although I am going to paint it, add some weight to the rear of it, and I am going to try to make it adjustable {length and cheek}. I would also like a 10 round detachable magazine, and will need glass and a mount...
First thing I tackled was the stock, I ordered a Graco adjustable butt plate kit ($62), which I machined to match the countour of the stock {there made really big}, and the adjustable piece I made the same contour as a supercell recoil pad I had. I also added a Karsten type C adjustable cheek {$60 shipped}.
Now for Optics, I ended up finding a Konus M30 for $170 {I used a 5% coupon and it ended up being $161 shipped} at Optics planet, this is definetly going to help with the budget. For mounts I used an innexpensive Weaver one piece and leaupod rings.
So far I spent $1155 leaving me with enough to buy a H&S bottom metal and a 10 shot clip {stockys stocks $330, although I had a $220 store credit}. The bottom metal dropped in I just had to file a small amount out of the island in the stock. So I was easily at my budget, and still wanted more stuff done. Although I did sell my original bottom metal {which paid for the karsten} I was at my budget...
I ended up also having my gun smith install a tact knob, and a cut the barrel down to 20"'s even... This cost me another $100 putting me around $1600.... No big deal the gun came out really nice...
Now for the shooting, I shot it before I did most of the work, and the gun shot amazing, some groups were under .50 @ 100yards.
Now I used some rounds that my smith made me {2 bucks each} for the rifle, he only made me 10 of them, and I am definetly going to load my own bullets, I shot 3- 3 shot groups and all were under .40 with a best of .28!!! Thats the best Ive ever shot in my life...
I love this rifle.... heres some pics....
007.jpg
adjustable5r2-1.jpg
003.jpg

Re: My Low Budget model 700 build is done {pics}

Sounds like an amazing rifle, the 5R'sare inherently accurate rifles. Sorry if it was posted but i didn't see a caliber? 300WM?

Sorry I didnt add the caliber, its a .308...

Nice build. I dropped my 5R into an Accuracy International Stage 2.0 which slightly improved the groupings for me. I'm going to cut the barrel to 20" as well, and I'm thinking about sending it out to ABS for a reduction in weight and M24 profile in carbon composite.

I'm throwing SMK 175's with excellent results. What are you using?

I'm planning on building a light weight 308 in the HS stock that the 5R came in. It will probably be a Rock Creek 5R 18" built up by ABS as well (but not stainless). I like the bottom metal and 10-rd mag, but this one will be for hunting, so I'll probably just utilize a 5 rounder. I like the mag for unloading and loading, as you can't have a long gun loaded in a vehicle in VA.

nice budget rifle

what bullet weight was used? 168 or

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEMPILOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build. I dropped my 5R into an Accuracy International Stage 2.0 which slightly improved the groupings for me. I'm going to cut the barrel to 20" as well, and I'm thinking about sending it out to ABS for a reduction in weight and M24 profile in carbon composite.

I'm throwing SMK 175's with excellent results. What are you using?

I'm planning on building a light weight 308 in the HS stock that the 5R came in. It will probably be a Rock Creek 5R 18" built up by ABS as well (but not stainless). I like the bottom metal and 10-rd mag, but this one will be for hunting, so I'll probably just utilize a 5 rounder. I like the mag for unloading and loading, as you can't have a long gun loaded in a vehicle in VA. </div></div>
I need detachable mags for my target guns because my fingers dont work well for loading by the scope. my hunting rifle uses the factory bottom metal {only need 1 shot and dont do a lot of loading and unloading}. The rounds my smith made me were lapua 168 I believe in lapua brass sized to 2.886 {I am new to reloading and that is all off the top of my head, I may be remembering wrong, but Im 80% thats what it is...}

I've got the same rifle in the works. Searchin for a good deal on a some m5 bottom metal right now. Looks good man.