• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My MDT LSS 308 shorty build

Phenozine

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2014
image.jpg

MDT LSS chassie in FDE w/ fixed stock adaptor
5 round AI magazine
Rem 700 308 16.5in 1in10 twist
Surefire 762 break
Vortex PST 6-24x50 MRAD FFP
Warne 30mm low Maxima rings
Weaver 20moa base
Magpul MOE Rifle stock
Hogue grip

If anyone wants specs it info just let me know. I was not able to find a lot of info regarding the chassie when I ordered it. Sorry for quality of pic. It was taken with iphone.
I can provide measurements or mor pics if wanted.

Very sweet rig Phenozine!!! I have one just like it except I have a Magpul CTR adjustable stock and a Vortex PST 2.5x10 on mine. Also dropped in a Timmney trigger. Only complaint I had about the chassis is that I had to remove a fair amount of aluminum to get the action down to the bed area. Initially the action was riding along the sides of the action and the sides of the barrel. The only issue I had after that was the forward actin screw was binding the bolt. Just ground it off some and fixed that. The gun appears to be a fine shooter and will be my perfect brush gun for deer and hog. I hope you enjoy yours too!

I was wondering why my trigger was a little high in the guard. After you said that I checked mine and I have the same issue. Any way I could get a pic to see how you did it in side the chassie ? I'm terrified to screw it up and waist $400 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After doing a quick test to see the gap between the action and bedding area it looks to be only .010in. I'm going to bed it and call it a day. Just in case any one wants to know an easy way to check, use play doh. Make thin strands and place in action area. Bolt down and torque action then remove and measure.

Mine was mainly for mid-long range shooting and deer / hog hunting. Only issue is this. All the weight is in the front and really hard to find a sling option that will work. I like to carry my rifle over my shoulder with barrel up and it's almost impossible with this rig. No QD on stock and no way to attach a QD clamp so I will have to get creative. If anyone else uses there LSS rig with a sling, please let me know how or what I need to do to use one. I am keeping a collapsable stock on it.

I just got out some wood dowels and crocus cloth and started sanding on mine. I would go slow and coat the action with prussian blue but it back in the chassis and sand where it made contact. I also plan to bed mine but will have to take a little more off the chassis for epoxy. I have not found any vids showing how to epoxy bed an aluminum chassis but when I bought my MDT Tac21 chassis, Brian Whalen said he had done a few. I carry mine barrel down. I planned on shooting mine quite a bit and so I filled the buffer tube with 6 shot lead and balanced the gun out pretty well and added the weight I wanted. I don't carry mine "long Distance" so the weight did not bother me. I use the QD sling swivels on mine and removed the factory sling stud so I had to install a QD receptcal on my chassis forend. I shoot off my knee and that sling stud bites!! When I took my action out to install the QD adapter is when I found my action had been making contact in several areas of my chassis. But man I like this rig! Seems like its really going to like those 165gr Nosler BT's and RE-15 powder.

How much weight did the shot add ? That's a good idea. How and where did you put a QD ? Did you stock have a QD on it?

I have not weighed my gun but I bet it added at least a pound or better. I had to install the QD adapter in my stock. I removed the factory sling stud and drlled out one of the existing holes in the very front of the stock tapped it out to a 9/16-18 thread and screwed in my adapter with JB weld to secure it. It still had plenty of clearance between the barrel and adapter.

Put a CAA NBP bipod on it and i have to say, I hate it.

Being down in south Texas where shooting prone is almost non -existent, I always shoot off a bench or shooting sticks to get above the grass and bushes and ants and thorny brush and all that stuff that bites! lol I used my Harris bipod some but the gun really moves around a lot on the table with it. I shot a lot better with an adjustable rest front and a sand bag rear.

Ya. I put my Harris back on it. Do you use a sling? The rig is so front heavy it's hard to carry using a 2 point. I was thinking of trying to put a QD endplate on and see if it would work.

You in Texas to? I'm in Deer Park TX.

Can any one help me with something , someone who has the LSS chassis. I got a 20moa rail and low rings. I don't have much clearance when cycling to bolt. Should I switch to higher rings or get a bolt knob installed? BTW this is my first bolt gun. Not new to AR platform.

Last edited:
My bolt was close as well, the KRG bolt knob really helps out. You really shouldn't have to go to higher rings.
IMG_0199.jpg

Rem. 700 in .300 Blackout 16.5" barrel
Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50
MDT LSS Chassis

Last edited:
I have been wanting to get one of those chassis for a shorter lighter build myself. I really like the simplicity of them. I do want to do mine with a collapsible butt stock for some of the shorter members of the family.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

KC4WD how do you carry your rifle with that sling? Over shoulder with barrel up ?

Yes, over shoulder, barrel up. Carries very well with that sling. I use that sling like any other single strap sling, although it looks like I'm using it a different way in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone 5

KC4WD thanks. Having a hard time deciding on a sling option because it's so front heavy.

Last edited:
I carry mine barrel down. I installed a QD adapter in my chassis forend where the regular sling stud was. Leaves the underside of the forend smooth with the sling off so when I shoot off my knee there is nothing to "bite" when the gun goes off. I also filled my buffer tube with lead shot which might help balance your rig to carry barrel up. I am down near Corpus Phenozine. Nice to hear from other Texas folks!

STXHunter 2013 very nice. Where do you connect the 2nd sling point ? I'm going to try filling my buffer tube and see if I can he some balance. That was a great idea.

I am running a Magpul CTR stock that has a QD mount in both sides of the rear of the stock. The QD mount I bought at Brownells. Part number 100-005-660WB
Multi-Adapter Studs You have to drill one of the front stock hoes to a 33/64 and tap threads in that with a 9/16-18 tap. I installed mine with JB weld when I screwed in in so it would stay put. Seems to work fine.

I need a longer bolt Handel or knob. I keep scraping my knuckles on my scope. Lol

I am going to hit Brownells tonight for an Tac bolt knob! Then I'm going to decide how to repaint my rifle.Camo, multi color, so many decisions!!!

Nice. I would love ACU Camo but won't work to well for hunting. Lol

Anyone try the Gunsite Scout 308 plastic mags with the lss ? Wonder how they will work. I know you need to cut off about 1/2in of the frot feed lips to make the feed correctly for them to work In the AICS stocks.

Never tried one of those mags before. I usally use Aluma-hyde paint from Brownells. It is epoxy and takes a lot of cure time but is tough as all hell and is pretty resistant to gun cleaners too. I believe it is a hell of a lot better than the paint that came on my LSS! I will probably just do the stock dark earth and the barrel/action OD green. Nothin fancy just for hunting.

Sounds nice. Let me know when done. I wana see.

I plan on doing a fair amount of shooting before paint in case I want to change anything. Just ordered some bullets to reload and see what it really likes.:D

Wish I could reload. I want to get some of the Fire Lapping rounds.

Why do you think you need to fire-lap? You best be careful using those things from what I understand. My AAC 308 in getting well under MOA with handloads. Run some rounds through it like maybe some Match ammo and see how it does. Sometimes it just takes some rounds shooting to smooth that bore and you get more familiar with the gun too. It is a little different animal!

I got some Hornandy amax 168gr match. I was told buy a gunsmith to fire lap to be able to brake barrel in with one range trip. Was he blowing smoke up my a$$ ? I wish i know you outside of the forum. I need as much help as I can get. Lol

Well I can't say much about a smith who recommends fire lapping without even knowing the accuracy of the gun. Maybe he wants to sell you a new barrel when you mess up that one! lol.... Man that's some good ammo and that ACC will like the 168 grain bullet. Let the bullet polish that barrel and have fun shooting it. Mine loves 168 gr hornady hollow point boat tails and the Hornady 165 gr SST bullets. Like I said, I would stay away from fire lapping unless you really have a rough barrel issue. At least put some lead down the bore and give it time to see if it shoots good.

Will do. Thanks for the info. He seemed a little dumb. Told me I can't change my 700 bolt with out changing my action.

Man you have a jam up rig there! Don't obsess over it just go out and shoot the hell out of it! Pick up some Hornady 168gr BTHP match ammo. It will shoot great and not break the bank. Put a couple hundred rounds through it and then evaluate things that you don't like.

Hey STX. You hunt with BTHP? I was hoping amax would be a good hernial use round for me to punch paper and hunt with.

I'm going to sell the chassis. Went to range today and I like the feel of a standard stock better prone. Unless I can find some that wants to trade for a stock with detachable magazine.

Last edited: