• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Mosin Nagant M-44 Scout

djblingbling1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2004
Oregon
Im only waiting on one more part so I figured id share up my m-44 scout. I have a fiber optic front sight from Smith Sights im still waiting on, but for the most part its done.

IMG423.jpg

I have a Brass Stacker scout scope mount, UTG 30mm rings (Cheap rings I know, but the reason being the scope), AIM 2-7x42 Mil-Dot Scout Scope (The mil dots are a joke on it, which is the only reason I bought this scope. At the same time its hard to swing too much on glass for a $100 gun), Butler Creek scope caps, down-turned and slightly turned back bolt, and a bit of bubba-smithijng on the trigger, which im tempted to replace with a Timney.

Im contemplating a ATI stock for the sake of mounting a bipod and a better sling...plus this Euro stock is awkward for me to shoulder and cheek up to see through the scope. What worries me about the ATI is the built in cheek rest...I dont want to lose the ability to use irons.

I have a mint 91/30...id like to find a second less nice one to redo as a match grade mosin, although I might just end up with a Remington 700 instead form y next project.

What do you all think?

You will like the Timney trigger, but be forewarned, on a Mosin, you will need to hollow out part of the trigger area in the stock to make it fit. One are to hollow out is inside the stock, and another area is along the side of the receiver for the Timney's safety to come up.

Also, which ATI stock are you talking about? Can you post a link? The ATI that I have in mind doesn't at all make you lose the irons and still requires a cheek riser for a proper sight picture through a scout-mounted scope on that brass stacker mount.

I think you're off to an excellent start. I skipped over the Brass Stacker mount because of its (to me anyway) excessive height. Here's an account of my own odyssey.

You might also want to look at this new stock.

Greg

Last edited:
If it shoots anything like my buddys 91/30 you should be able to make hits on an e-type at 600 with that rig.
He has a 3-7 cheapo mil-dot on his that does the job.

I have a mint 91/30...id like to find a second less nice one to redo as a match grade mosin, although I might just end up with a Remington 700 instead form y next project.

What do you all think?

I think if you're serious about building a "match grade" Mosin, you will have better luck making it happen if you use the best condition MN you can find/afford.

Last edited:
I have bought literally dozens of Mosin over the years as I have watched the price go up... I always take a round with me and use it in the muzzle to gauge bore wear, and have been very successful getting really good shooters. MOST of the ones for sell these days have been counterbored so it hard to gauge a good barrel. I like your scout set-up! I did one similar but added a Romanian AK pistol grip to it that made it really fun to shoot.