• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My new 22-250

seacowboy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
Fairfax, VA
I had my sights set on getting a Remington 700 SPS in .17 Fireball for ground hogs and squirrels; but had my concerns over if it was gonna be enough gun for coyotes. It turned out they didn't have the .17 in stock. I got to looking at the other choices and found the 700 VTR in 22-250. Didn't know if I would like the triangle barrel, but definitely like it after seeing it in person. Spent a bit more than I planned but think I will enjoy this even more and not have my doubt hanging in the back of my mind when a coyote or fox comes along. I topped it with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x40 scope. I bought a box of Winchester 55 grain Silver Tips to start, and picked up brass, powder and Nosler 55 grain spitzer bullets to hopefully work up a great varmint round. Can't wait to get out next week and get her sighted in and draw first blood.
IMG_0133.jpg

Re: My new 22-250

22-250 is a great cartridge for varmints as you well know. I do have some
concerns on the bi pod, are you going to be shooting from the seated
position it does seem a little high for prone. Just curious and congrats
on new rifle.

The bi pod may look a bit bigger than it really is, I took that pic from squatting down almost level with the gun. It has 3 extensions, fully closed it is 12" and goes up to 27". It is fine for shooting prone and I also use it for the sitting position. Our land is fairly flat so prone shots are actually somewhat rare, so sitting is the norm. It is a little heavy duty maybe, I took it off my Bushmaster Varmint in .223, it has quite a bit of heft due to the bull barrel and full shielded fore end.
Headed out tomorrow morning to get her sighted in and hopefully on the ground hogs Tuesday. Will post the results at least of the paper pounding.

Got sighted in out to 100 yds with the Winchester Silvertips, but won't split hairs till I get my own loads worked up. Quarter sized groups at 100 yds off the "artillery bi pod," probably would have been better off a bench though. Top target was the final round.
IMG_0517.jpg

Tagged a hog this morning at 82 yds, the Ballistic Silvertip surely did the job.
IMG_0525.jpg