• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My new 6.5 build

264shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
Western Nevada
It took a while and now I have all the parts, now it's time for a road trip to see my machinist in Rapid City SD
6.5-06 Ackley .....nothing new, just always wanted one and I have seen what his 25-06 Ackley does.
Bighorn TL2-LA with his 20 minute base
Manners T3 mini chassis
AI and Accurate 300 win, magazines
Huber 2 stage trigger set @ 1.75 lb
Light Varmint contour
Bartlien 28" finish no brake
Krieger 26" with a Badger Thruster brake
New Nightforce C202 5.5x55-22 50mm from Mike @ CSTactical
Luepold Mark 4 Rings
Hope to get a 139gr Scenar up 3100 fps with Retumbo
144a91v.jpg

I think you'll hit 3100 fairly easy. I run a 6.5-06 with a 24 inch tube and H1000 gets my 140 Bergers to 2990ish without pressure signs. I would guess you would get 20-30 fps per inch of barrel over my 24 inch tube and probably another 2-4% on top of that with the improved case?

I tried a few other powders but H1000 seemed the best for me.

Are those custom or factory redding dies? What shoulder angle are you using? Is there a body die for the improved case or can you just use a regular body die?

Maybe I'm missing something but I'll show my ignorance and ask... why the two different barrels?

Awesome build 264, what speeds will you be getting with that 6.5-06 AI? Near 6.5-284 or better i imagine?

That going to be nice! Great components you assembled for that build and I like your caliber choice. I have that same action chambered in 7LRM, Bighorns are some great actions.

Nice set up. I currently have a 6.5-06 with a 26" McGowan on a trued Rem. 700 action. It sets in a McMillan HTG adjustable stock. I am running 140 Berger VLD's at around 2850 fps with a max load of H4831. I tried both H1000 and R17. Both gave me close to 3000 fps +/- 10fps. However, neither of them were as consistent as H4831. I went from an average group size of somewhere between .6 and .7 MOA to average group sizes of <.5 MOA. Good luck with the build. I can't wait to hear what type of velocity you are getting out of your Improved version.

JDM

I have an appointment for next Monday morning 9am with my machinist.
He said we will be able to complete this build in two days.
If there is any load data for 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley I would like to see it.
This has been in the works for 2 years and I am driving about 1300 miles to see him and my family in South Dakota.

Here is the completed project.
I have been fire forming brass is the shop with the cream of wheat method and that is working very well.
Now it's time to work up some loads, starting with Retumbo and H1000. I will be using 139gr. Scenars to start with. If anybody has any load data they would like to share for comparision that would be good. 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley
5v3y1h.jpg
I'm using Norma 25-06 with 20 grs. of Bullseye then filled to the top with Cream of Wheat. Then I pack it down to the shoulder with a dowel and top it of with toilet paper to keep everything in place.
1zd6dzr.jpg

Last edited: