• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

my new action

tyrarace

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
I will hawe a new action shortly I want to put to gether a rifle for long range target shooting I will hawe 2 bolts 1 for
30- 378 and one for chey tac brass maby 338 chey tac should I
cosider a different cartridge for the 30 cal bullet?
and if so why.

Re: my new action

I would consider a 300 Norma Magnum or a 300 Hulk. If you have an opportunity talk with Tom Sarver that runs Thunder Valley Precision. My reasoning is a shorter, more compact, and more efficient case. These cartridges have have some pretty good accuracy potential as Tom's record is a good example. Good luck with your project.

I would consider a .300 RUM before the 30-378 or the .300 Norma Mag for lots of reasons. Another great wildcat out there is a 30-375 Ruger. Shorter cases do not always translate into more efficient...

It sounds like you have a lot of money to put towards ammo and barrels or you just dont plan to shoot much. How far do you want to shoot?

PS...It helps to get answers to your post if you finish filling out your profile

I want to use this rifle for 1000 to 2000 yards shooting
the 30 cal is not that expesive to shoot
my friend is shooting 338 edge the rum brass is bad and he
only gets obout 2750 fps with 300 sierra bullets
I was hoping I get good speed with 30-378 norma brass and 230gr
and 240gr bullets and good brass life.

The 30-378 Weatherby is a barrel burner. By the time you do load developement, it`s time for another barrel. If all you want to shoot is out to 2000yds, it`s hard to beat the 338 Norma. You get 338 Lapua velocity with less powder and longer barrel life. I`ve shot targets at 2000yds and further, the problem with the 30cal bullets is they are so small it`s hard to see splashes. Any 338 on a full-length Cheytac case is also a barrel burner. Unless you like to throw money away and buy new barrels every 800 shots, I would go with some different choices. A great 30 caliber is the 300 on the 375 Ruger case, 240gr bullets at more than 2900fps.

You might also consider something like a 30/338 Lapua, the best brass made.

Ken
Clearwater Precision

I also vote for the new Norma magnum cartridges over the 30-378 Wthby. I only wish Lapua had beat them to the punch.