• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new build - 260 rem

novaman64

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2009
Camino, CA
Well, finally got around to shipping my remmy 700 sps varmint in 243 off to the smith... He called me and gave me an update, and also sent me some pics...

Stuff being done... Action trued and bolt lapped, Wyatts extended mag box fitted, custom muzzle brake made (my design), installing a 6.5mm Benchmark barrel (1:8" twist, 26", Lilja #5 taper, 3 groove, SS flutted), chambered in 260 rem, designed to shoot Berger 140 VLD's... Supposed to chamber and throw the barrel on Monday, so hopefully ill have my rifle back by the end of next week... So excited... Oh ya, I splurged and bought a stock too, its going in a McMillan HTG...

This is going to be a hunting rifle and also a range toy, thats the reason I sort of compromised on the barrel taper....

Here the action after its been milled out for the bigger box, notice the length difference of the mag boxes, that will allow me to run a OAL of 2.99...
wyatts%20box.jpg

New magbox installed...
mag%20box%20installed.jpg

Front of the action all trued up...
action%20trued.jpg

Lugs lapped...
bolt%20in%20action.jpg

My custom brake... 90° port in back with rear ward angled 110° ports on the front 2 ports the 3 ports on top are 110° rear ward angled
muzzle%20brake.jpg

And, the Benchmark barrel.
barrel.jpg

The McMillan HTG (243 in it before it got shipped off)
stock.jpg

And a comparison... old 243 bullet (100 grn sof point) vs the new 260 (Berger 140 VLD, OAL=2.952")
bullit.jpg

Re: My new build - 260 rem

Looks good. Are you going with a factory trigger or are you upgrading?

I had a trigger job done when I first got the riffle and have been happy with it. Dropped the pull down to 3.5, didnt want lighter as I use it hunting and carry it everywhere... Breaks clean and doesnt creep so i cant justify putting a different trigger on it.

This is the first custom/modified rifle I have ever done/had so I am super excited. Been saving and acquiring all my parts for about a year, between this and buying a house no more big purchases for a while...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Been saving and acquiring all my parts for about a year, between this and buying a house no more big purchases for a while...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Congrats on both, but beware: doing your first custom build only leads to the next one, which leads to the next one, which leads .......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Been saving and acquiring all my parts for about a year, between this and buying a house no more big purchases for a while...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Congrats on both, but beware: doing your first custom build only leads to the next one, which leads to the next one, which leads .......

</div></div>

Thanks, I was going to hold off, but I got a nice bonus at work, so that covered all the gunsmithing...
smile.gif

I understand that, I am already planning my 338 build, which is next on the place...
shocked.gif

Just got these from him... Hes gonan throw it in his stock tomorrow (I jsut sent him a barreled action) and test fire then its gonna be packaged and shipped back to me!
barreledaction.jpg

brakeinstalled.jpg

LOL, ya, the tip of the barrel is only .700 so I htink it makes the brake bigger than it would if say it was say on a varmint contour @ .860

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.952 will that fit in a mag </div></div>

Not factory, but I had a Wyatts extended mag box put in... Which will take up to a 2.99

Its all done. Just got it in the stock and fitted the stock (had to make the bigger mag box fit, and the bolt handle was hitting the stock a little. Still not bedded, but wanna go break the barrel in and see how she does...

completed.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. Me and the misses just split up, and well needless to say I dont have any furniture, boat, livestock trailer, or digi camera anymore... So this was done with the cell phone...

Your gonna be sorry if your chamber is set out that long, your gonna run out of room quickly trying to keep VLDs in the lands, I shoot 139 Scenars touching the lands in my 260, I'm there with a ojive length of 2.195 right now, my chamber started life at 2.150, yes I have alot of bullet in my case, but I also have a shit load room to grow

Update...

Been playing with H4350 and RL17, and I think I found a winner. Let me start off by saying Eric can build a tack driver. Through all my load development I dont think I have had a group over 3/4 MOA, but I think I finally found my honey load... 44.0 grains of RL17, under the Berger 140VLD, sitting .005 off the lands. A pic of the group is attached, fired the first 2, which were touching, clicked over 1/2 MOA to the right more on the scope and then fired another 3. First shot was the high one all the way left, which was a fouling and cold boar shot, the next was directly under it. Let cool for about 2 minutes before I fired the last 3, which were all shot within about a 1 minute period.

rl17-44.jpg

Hopefully I can get a chance to get out and at least try for a buck, only had one trip up which was a bust, but have a huge work project due soon, and theres only 2 more weeks of dear season.