• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new build

Chaos_23

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Texas
Well, she's not much to look at yet, but I'll post updates as I get them added. I picked up a stripped RRA lower today, planning on making this an SPR-type rifle with an 18" barrel.

Here she is in all her glory, haha.

photo-1.jpg

Re: My new build

Are you sticking with 5.56/.223 or are you looking at something more exotic like 6.5 grendle, 6.8 spc, 300 blackout or somethinhg else like that?

I'm planning on staying with the 5.56 for starters, I'm not set up for reloading and I have easy and frequent access to 5.56 ammo. Eventually I'd like to have a .300 blackout as well though.

Anyone have a source for a lower parts kit that doesn't come with a grip or trigger? I've already got a grip and I'm planning on getting a giesselle trigger, but it seems that all the kits I find come with these parts.

Thanks!

Ok, I've decided to go with a 6.5 Grendel for the caliber on this build. I'd like to post what I'm intending it for, and what I have planned for the parts, but I figured I wouldn't start a whole new thread for that, so bear with me.

This build is intended to be an intermediate-long range(400-800 yds in my case) target gun, and pull double duty as a hunting rig (deer and pigs, maximum engagement about 250 yards). I've done some research and I feel that the Grendel is more than up to this task, and certainly better suited for hunting than the 5.56.

As stated above, it's a RRA lower. I also have an A2 stock, Magpul MOE grip, and I've ordered a Spike's upper, CMMG lower parts kit, and a Giessele SSA trigger. I'm still working on picking a barrel, but I'm currently leaning towards a BlackHole Weaponry standard contour in either 18" or 20". I'm planning on a Troy Alpha rail in the 15" length, low profile gas block (I've read that I may need an adjustable one, but I'm not sure on that yet), and for the moment a SWFA 10x SS for the glass.

So, any suggestions or recommendations in reference to what I've picked? Thanks!

Not sure if you still need a LPK without trigger, but here's one:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_Lower_Receiver_Parts_Kit_without_Trigger_Parts_p/jp-lpk-ltg.htm

Barrel choice seems fine. I'm not super familiar with the 6.5 Grendel, so I can't recommend any other barrel manufactures.

I don't think you'll need an adjustable gas block unless you're shooting suppressed. Maybe that's different with the 6.5.

The SS 10x is a great scope. However, many hunters I talk to (I don't hunt) say 10x is often too high for many situations. You might be better off with a variable scope in the 3-10x or 4-12x range.

I'm not positive, but you may need to buy a barrel nut. I don't think the Alpha rails come with one, because they're made to use the existing nut. I could be wrong, though.

Sounds like this is going to be a pretty nice build in the end. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the comment, Temp! I actually found an LPK without the fire control group on Valhalla Tactical, and was thrilled to see I could opt to include the Giessele SSA for an additional $165, which was the best deal I could find.

And I agree, the fixed 10x can be a bit much, I used it last year on my .308 and it wasn't perfect for every situation, but it's what I have right now, so I figure I'll use it and get another one later.

And you're right about the barrel nut, I should have mentioned this, but I did order one. The alpha rail uses a GI barrel nut without the delta ring assembly, so that's what I ordered. Now the wait for my parts is on!

Well a few months down the road, and I'm just about finished! I've got a few more finishing touches to add (like getting a pin for my gas block, I figured it woulda come with one), then it's ammo and range time hopefully in time for opening weekend!

So here she is as she stands today, I'll post specifics if anyone cares. (Disregard the puppy nose near the stock, he was very curious!)

image.jpg

Have you decided what factory ammo you are going to shoot?

The hornady is pretty accurate in the 123 AMAX.

SAVE YOUR BRASS, even though you don't reload once you have about a 100 saved up you can expect to get 40 bucks for it fairly easily.

BB

I picked up six boxes of the Hornady Amax, that's all I could find around here. I'll probably order my next round online to save some money. And I definitely plan to save my brass, hopefully I'll eventually get set up to reload.

And B4, it's a Black Hole Weaponry barrel in .264. I'd eventually like to get a Noveske barrel for a future blackout build or to rebarrel my patrol rifle.

I'm picking up a gas tube roll pin tomorrow and then I'm off to the range to try to figure out my adjustable gas block and sight the new girl in!

Well, she's all done! Here's a couple shots I took on her first trip to the range.

3ED4D38A-55B6-4927-980E-00E2C4AC39BF-11055-0000092FD53FA014.jpg

13AE9CAB-FA65-4350-BA7B-3EF71D3C85BF-11055-0000092FDD21908C.jpg

This was my best group of the day. I'm still learning to shoot better with a scope, and hopefully get those group sizes down.

70F99E64-269F-420A-9D35-4B692BDA2B53-11055-0000092FF8B353D5.jpg

I went hunting on opening weekend and didn't get to kill anything, but I did get to check my dope out to about 450 yards and made good hits on my target. That's the furthest I've shot so far.

Thanks for looking!

Nice little setup there.
Personally I would add a PRS stock to it but thats just me.

CONGRATS ON A NEW TOY!

Thanks everybody! I may still put a PRS stock on there, but I understand they're significantly heavier than an A2 (my stock is actually an A1 though) and I'm trying to keep the weight down. As it sits, it weighs 10.6 lbs. with a loaded mag.

I've pretty much settled on a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x for the scope to replace the SWFA, any thoughts?