• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition My new F-TR rifle

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    I really have a hard time with it's "newness" because I've had all the parts for almost a yr and a half.

I got the Defiance action 14 months ago, at that point I had (still have) a 31" Kreiger blank, ordered the PR&T stock not realizing that like everything there is a wait, by the time it came in last March I had decided to go with a longer barrel, so in Sept or Oct of last yr I ordered a 34" Kreiger blank. It finally came in last month. Dropped the whole works off at Predator three weeks ago, and here she is, and as it is pictured with the 34" barrel it's 17.65 lbs. I'm grinnin'

1_13_03_13_2_46_49.jpg

It looked pretty out of place on the rack at the shop surrounded with gas guns and tactical rifles. So far I know it's had a couple of nicknames, when Jim called to tell me it was ready he said I could come pick up my mobile ballistic missile launcher :)

Last edited:
    XTR,
    Rifle looks good. I look forward to seeing it in person at the May match in Oak Ride.

KT

That is a beautiful precision instrument right there. I imagine it shoots as well or better than it looks. I notice you don't have a cheek riser (or similar). How is the comb height for you and what ring height are you using on it? I'm contemplating going with a bare comb and lower rings than I currently am using.

It's black/black stock.

Greg, there is no adjustable cheek, yet. It's a little lower than perfect as it sits but now that I know what weight I'm working with I may put an adjustable in. I think the hardware for a McGee adjustable cheek-piece adds about 6 oz. If it was too close I could hollow some wood out. I'm planning to take my router and put some vents in the bottom of the fore end, that will probably lighten it by another oz or two, so if it's under 17.5 I'm probably good. Then again I could always throw $$ at it and buy one of the new NF scopes or a March and save another 5 or 8 oz over the NXS, or do what Dan P did and shorten the forend by a couple of inches. That really makes the barrel look long.

I really want to get to the range and run it side by side with my 30" and see what it gains. I'm guessing 75 to 100 FPS but that's just a seat of the pants guess.

Which defiance action did you get? What do you think of it so far.

I just ordered their Deviant Action in a Magnum.

The action is a single shot Rebel action with a longer tenon and a heavy pinned lug. They also made the rail, it's a 30 MOA rail. I've used 30s on my other rifle with both of my NF scopes and it's worked out great, less than 1 turn off the bottom at 100 and plenty of adjustment to get to 1000.

It's a Krieger #14

If you're not familiar with PR&T F-TR stocks you may not realize that that stock is designed knowing that it's going to mount a long barrel. They make these long barreled artillery pieces look more "normal". The bipod stud is mounted out past what would be the end of my McM A5, the stock forend is at least 4" longer than a McM or a Savage F class stock. I may have to move the bipod back some. I may not be able to reach it up there unless I put some kind of wheel on where the adjuster nut is now.

Last edited:
    Nice stick, XTR. I went with the PR&T cheekpiece and adjustable buttplate last year.

Thats the look I am looking for in my build. I will probably end up with a Barnard S and a 30" barrel just due to availability here.

Beautiful rifle :)

It's black/black stock.

Greg, there is no adjustable cheek, yet. It's a little lower than perfect as it sits but now that I know what weight I'm working with I may put an adjustable in. I think the hardware for a McGee adjustable cheek-piece adds about 6 oz. If it was too close I could hollow some wood out. I'm planning to take my router and put some vents in the bottom of the fore end, that will probably lighten it by another oz or two, so if it's under 17.5 I'm probably good. Then again I could always throw $$ at it and buy one of the new NF scopes or a March and save another 5 or 8 oz over the NXS, or do what Dan P did and shorten the forend by a couple of inches. That really makes the barrel look long.

I really want to get to the range and run it side by side with my 30" and see what it gains. I'm guessing 75 to 100 FPS but that's just a seat of the pants guess.

Keep us updated on the velocity you gain with the 34 inch barrel compared to the 30 inch. Im curious to see the results myself, I was told it wouldn't make much difference from 30 to 34 but if your testing shows different i might go longer on my next barrel as I have a little weight to spare. Thanks.

I want to get out to the range, but I'm not sure I'll get the chance for a while. I've got to go to a project in NYC for 3 weeks starting Sunday, and I'm pretty sure if I pull this cannon out there Hizzonner would call in all of NYPD and it's supposed to start raining soon and rain till I leave.

I will post up a comparison, both my rifles are cut with the same reamer. I checked the distance to the lands yesterday and as expected it's the same on both rifles so I can load up and shoot some side by sides. One minor difference is that this is a 5R barrel and my other is a standard, both are Kreigers.

Cool rig!

This question may be a little premature, but do you have any thoughts on what
    load you will be running? .30 Heavy's I would guess? VLD's? Bergers?

That you can tell me about without signing a NDA? :)

Is the stock just oiled? Looks great, kind of kicks the looks of the whole gun to another level.

Cool rig!

This question may be a little premature, but do you have any thoughts on what
    load you will be running? .30 Heavy's I would guess? VLD's? Bergers?

That you can tell me about without signing a NDA? :)

Right now I'm shooting Hornady 178s for practice and Berger 185s when it's serious. I may give the 200s a whirl at some point but not right now.